offended by the term 'Wench'

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

offended by the term 'Wench'

Postby VinZ on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi,

I have a serious prospect member for our Church. It is a nice lady from Ireland with the right mindset and great looking.
I told her that in our Church, members are referred to as Wenches and Pirates.

She would feel offended by the term 'Wench' and this is holding her from joining. She agrees to join if she can be referred to as a 'Piresse' instead. Would that be acceptable?

Has anyone there been offended by it and how did you overcome it? Personally I think Wenches are really cool.

Would the Prophet (Pesto be upon Him) agree with the term 'Piresse'?

thanks for your advice,
Vinz
VinZ
Ziti Zealot

Re: offended by the term 'Wench'

Postby TwistedSister on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi back at ya!
I'm not offended by the term "wench" but since your friend has a problem with it, I suspect we can call her anything she pleases. Just let her know that usually, we just call each other by our screen names.
Hope that helps.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:28 pm

'Pirate' is not gender-specific: she can be a pirate too. Remember the third "I'd Really Rather You Didn't":
Bobby wrote:3. I'd really rather you didn't judge people for the way they look, or how they dress, or the way they talk, or, well, just play nice, okay? Oh, and get this into your thick heads: woman = person. man = person. Samey = Samey. One is not better than the other, unless we're talking about fashion and I'm sorry, but I gave that to women and some guys who know the difference between teal and fuchsia.(my emphasis)

The term 'Wench' can have negative connotations, but that is not the way we tend to use it. In fact, I like to think we are reclaiming the word for the language, for people to use every day.

Anyway, there's no point in asking for a binding ruling on the word, as we have flimsy moral standards, so we probably wouldn't stick to it anyway.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:48 pm

To be most accurate, I think members of our Church are referred to as Pastafarians. Pirates are His favored creation, but one doesn't have to be a Pirate to realize that the universe was created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster. :wink:

We're happy to call her whatever she would like to be called. As Roy points out, flimsy moral standards leave a lot of wiggle room for things like this.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 pm

I'm willing to call her a pooface if that helps? :whistle:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:24 pm

Tell her to join! I'm a pirate granny! Too old to be a plausible wench. :wink:

Whereabouts in Ireland? My home is in Co. Cork.

…Uh-oh, if she's from Kerry she might not like that. :paranoid:

So if she is, don't tell her, OK? :whistle:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby sweetlife on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 pm

nope tell her she has to be a wench ;) gotta keep them in their place LOL
sweetlife
Conchigliette Convert

Postby DavidH on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:10 am

www.etymonline.com wrote:wench
late 13c., wenche "girl or young woman," shortened from wenchel "child" (12c.), from O.E. wencel, probably related to wancol "unsteady, fickle, weak," and cognate with O.N. vakr "child, weak person," O.H.G. wanchal "fickle." The word degenerated through being used in ref. to servant girls, and by mid-14c. was being used in a sense of "woman of loose morals, mistress." The verb meaning "to associate with common women" is from 1590s.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby black bart on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:22 am

Good King Wenchless would be a good name for her.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby DavidH on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:27 am

Indeed. And it occurs to me that if that etymology is right, wench is closely related to a very rude word indeed. :fsm_rock: Ten dubloons if you can spot it.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby black bart on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:40 am

wancol...sounds a bit dodgy...often heard at a Rangers v Celtic match?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby DavidH on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:07 am

I think you've got it, Bart. 10 Dubloons to your account.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Horza on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:04 am

Surely the etymology, no matter how suspect, isn't what makes it offensive but rather the common use and intent? I can't recall the last time I heard someone denigrating women by calling them wenches.
Horza
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:19 am

Or on the flip side, the etymology of the gay bashing F-word isn't particularly offensive, and in England they still use it to refer to cigarettes.

It's never the word itself, it's how it's used. Which is why the idea of auto-censoring certain words seems silly to me, but that's a whole other topic...
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:36 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Which is why the idea of auto-censoring certain words seems silly to me, but that's a whole other topic...
You have no idea how much trouble automatic content control causes for people who live or work in Scunthorpe...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Next

Return to All Things FSM