ALL FSM designs have been reported for "Copyright Infringeme

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

ALL FSM designs have been reported for "Copyright Infringeme

Postby aristotles.muse on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:04 pm

All FSM and Pastafarian themed designs have been reported for "copyright infringement" on the zazzle.com online marketplace! (like cafepress) That means thousands of fellow pastafarian designs and tens of thousands of pastafarian man-hours have been wiped out! I am unsure of whether it is a religious group/individual committing perjury in an attack on the pastafarian community or if the FSM has suddenly gone the way of DRM, but I'm looking into it.

I have tried to contact Bobby Henderson about the issue via email, but haven't been able to get a reply. Perhaps if others could email him, we'd get a response?

More info here...

http://aristotles-muse.blogspot.com/201 ... -been.html
aristotles.muse
Conchigliette Convert

Re: ALL FSM designs have been reported for "Copyright Infrin

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:20 pm

If the way Zazzle operates is that you upload a design and make a profit off of it, using the FSM as a design would be something Bobby isn't okay with, I think. As he says in the FAQ:

Bobby Henderson wrote:That said, it’s not ok to *SELL* FSM products.

It is a bit suspicious that he's only just now getting around to dealing with this, or whoever does legal for FSM LLC, or they just weren't aware of Zazzle and FSM designs being sold on it. It's definitely worth investigating, but my guess is that this is entirely consistent with Bobby Henderson's IP policy.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby MonkeysInACan on Sun May 15, 2011 6:04 pm

I had always been under the impression that you could depict the FSM how ever you wanted and sell it as long as it is original work and you didn't use the official FSM symbols such as the FSM logo

or the pirate fish symbol

This is most strange. Hopefully this was not done by Bobby or by someone on his behalf, because this seems to fly in the face of much of what I feel the Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster stands for.
"Evolution is the central theme of biological science. The mechanism of evolution is natural selection."-- NJ science Standard Ch 7
MonkeysInACan
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby aristotles.muse on Fri May 27, 2011 1:21 am

After multiple attempts to contact Bobby Henderson, I have yet to receive any response. As much as I didn't want to believe it, I think it's likely Bobby is in fact enforcing copyright on any and all materials related in any way to the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Pastafarianism. Even designs unrelated to the official FSM logo have been cited for copyright infringement, such as this one of mine...

I assume he is refusing to respond in an effort to avoid taking an official stance on the issue and thus avoiding any possible backlash. Please, if you wish for DRM free Pastafarianism, contact Bobby and ask if and why the church of pirates has taken such a stance.
bobby.henderson@gmail.com
aristotles.muse
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Fri May 27, 2011 3:06 am

Sent a message to his twitter, hopefully that might be more direct, less lost in a sea of messages than email.

I definitely don't think he's had a stance against original FSM-themed designs in the past.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ravi Oli on Fri May 27, 2011 11:38 pm

Didn't another prophet / Messiah purge the buyers, sellers and moneylenders from the temple?
It is obviously a marketable trademark so if anyone makes $$$ of it why not the guy had the idea originally? Did I see somewhere Bobby was building a boat to sail the world spreading 'the word'? That costs money and it certainly crossed my mind how everything was funded. The temptations of the flesh are SO HARD to resist... :haha:
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Return to All Things FSM