Validity of Pastafarianism

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Validity of Pastafarianism

Postby Arkaeon on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:55 am

Anyone who wants to generally monologue can find their way to the "World of Other Stuff" or "Rant, Rave, & Misbehave" section. There are several ongoing threads which are ideal for such themes.

As far as validifying/apologetics of Pastafarianism to others, I can think of a few general approaches:

Point out that religion should be FUN. It should connect people socially, emotionally, and in ideas. It should help people learn how to live in peace with the world. It helps if the religion has some scheduled/cyclical observances or holidays to help people rejuvenate their love of life and peaceful growth, encouraging members to continue their life-path. If some other religion does not meet these standards, then clearly it is inferior, but CotFSM meets them all. (The FUN clause is important, for it was common in almost all ancient religions and largely absent from many modern ones.)

Alternatively, you could invite them into the forums to browse and see what is really here. If they won't even do that, they aren't serious about knowing the truth, so there's no point in wasting your time on them. Many great social and spiritual issues are discussed here, in our grand cathedral of the internet, which members can access any time they sign on for personal support and interaction around the world, without an appointment. This is inherently superior to a single or limited buildings that are only available in limited timespace events.

If someone is looking for meaty dialogue, let them check out the "Serious Discussion" section, but genuine spiritual/religious stuff comes up all over the forum. For example, I just posted a 4-part metaphorical analysis of the Aspects of FSM in the "Indocrinating Children" thread that might be of interest to someone looking for ways to see FSM as a means of contemplating reality. Most importantly, our dialogues do not represent official dogma, so they can be taken as they are useful and meaningful to each individual without requiring wars or genocides to enforce them. This is an element of a superior religion, that it can grow with each person and generation instead of stagnating in some long-past century. Other "major" religions would do well to learn from us.

I think the more important question is: "How can other major religions validate themselves in light of the living traditions and advantages of Pastafarianism?"
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Minister Roni on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:20 am

I think people's biggest aversion to Pastafarianism is caused by their own grim view of religion, whether they be religious or not. They can't seem to grasp the concept of a lighthearted religion that makes no threats of everlasting harm or brutal punishments. I'm often asked how I can believe in/worship a flying spaghetti monster, even though when telling people about it I never use the words believe or worship, I phrase it more openly such as "our religion teaches..." or "according to Pastafarianism...". I try to use the FSM to get people to take a more logical look at their own beliefs but all too often they're unable to get past the golden calf mentality in which they feel that taking any other viewpoint into consideration is blasphemy. In that respect I'd say our religion is validated in the eyes of the religious simply by them taking offense to it just as they would any belief system other than their own. For instance, try telling someone that you worship the mighty Zeus, you'll get pretty much the same response that you get to the FSM, yet that too is a completely valid religion.
Minister Roni
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Arkaeon on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:03 am

Welcome to the forum, Minister Roni!

I think you have made a valid perception there. Most people have come to dread their gods and essential worship their devils as equals (dualism). In traditional/ancient times, religious festivals and services in many cultures were a time of joy and fun (ok, maybe not the Aztecs). They had fun and let loose some steam. Then the death & tax cults spread fear and wars across the land, but people still have a choice. We don't need all that fear and war. We can go back to the model of being able to have fun and enjoy life without a constant sense of dread. This isn't frivolous. It's a needed respite from the hard labors of our daily lives. Stress can kill you faster than anything else but physics or poison.

I'd say it's fair to remind people of this. Sure, Pastafarians work hard and look for insights as much as anyone else. Discovering the secrets of the universe and keeping society running is a big job. The difference is, FSM is the kind of "Heavenly Parent" who also lets us go play in the park when our chores are done:)
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Minister Roni on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Arkaeon.

I think the reason for the dread toward dieties was caused be the religions that gained in power are generally the ones that made such threats. If your religion doesn't threaten eternal harm and another comes along that tells you that if you don't follow them you'll be punished, it certainly seems like the smart move to avoid punishment and follow them since your old religion won't punish you either way.

I tend to take a more rebellious view. You can't tell me that my father loves me and will burn me in a pit of fire if I don't obey him. I have a son, the concept of burning him in a fire pit if he disobeys is absolutely ridiculous, who in their right mind would want to live with such a father? Such a concept is considered valid because it's been beaten into people's heads for so long. Pastafarianism is just as reasonable and valid and makes just as much sense, if not more.

When considering a religions validity I think one has to consider the point of view of that religions followers, otherwise all religions other than one's own seem invalid and nonsensical.
Minister Roni
Conchigliette Convert

Postby The Dark Noodle on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 pm

When challenged with "But it was made up in 2005" I find it useful to cite instances of Pastafarian behaviour that pre-dates the Great Prophet(Pasta Be Upon Him)!

Frank James Ney (May 12, 1918 – November 24, 1992), the Pastafarian Mayor of Nanaimo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Ney

The Pastafarian anthem from 1963
Hi kids
(Hi Tom)
Let's sing a little bit

On top of spagetti (on top of spagetti)
All covered with cheese (all covered with cheese)
I lost my poor meatball (I lost my poor meatball)
When somebody sneezed (when somebody sneezed)

It rolled off the table (it rolled off the table)
And onto the floor (and onto the floor)
And then my poor meatball (and then my poor meatball)
Rolled out of the door (rolled out of the door)

It rolled in the garden (it rolled in the garden)
And under a bush (and under a bush)
Was nothing but mush (was nothing but mush)

Alright now
I'll tell you the words
And you sing it back to me

On top of spagetti (on top of spagetti)
I lost my poor meatball (I lost my poor meatball)
When somebody sneezed (when somebody sneezed)

It rolled off the table (it rolled off the table)
And onto the floor (and onto the floor)
Rolled out of the door (rolled out of the door)

It rolled in the garden (it rolled in the garden)
And under a bush (and under a bush)
Was nothing but mush (was nothing but mush)

Oh, the mush was as tasty (oh, the mush was as tasty)
As tasty could be (as tasty could be)
And early next summer (and early next summer)
It grew into a tree (it grew into a tree)

The tree was all covered (the tree was all covered)
With beautiful moss (with beautiful moss)
It grew lovely meatballs (it grew lovely meatballs)
And tomato sauce (and tomato sauce)

So if you eat spaghetti (so if you eat spaghetti)
Hold on to your meatball (hold on to your meatball)
And don't ever sneeze (and don't ever sneeze)
And don't ever sneeze

http://youtu.be/qRWw0EILEtE

Cave art depicting The FSM
"Rock art - several paintings remain visible on the walls of the Cueva de las Arañas, preserved because of poor air circulation. Archaeologists subsequently discovered traces of pigment near the Talgua Cave entrance. Who - or what - is this drawing supposed to represent? A similar pattern was found on the 'face' of a 'statue' uncovered in Talgua Village."

The Pastafarian inspired April 1st documentary by the BBC in 1957.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/1/newsid_2819000/2819261.stm
The Dark Noodle
AKA - The Rev. Dr. Jo Freddie

The Book of Piraticus 12:1-3
I gave you brains, the ability to reason, and free will for a reason.
Please use them.
If I say something dumb, question it.
http://www.loose-canon.info/ - A really Important Collection of Words.
The Dark Noodle
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Location: Council of The Olive Garden, The Rev. Dr. Jo Freddie

Postby TDKs on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:20 pm

I find the $1.7 million raised for charitable causes through Kiva by CoFSM tends to lend validity!

http://www.kiva.org/team/fsm
Dragon tamer. For real.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Previous

Return to All Things FSM