I'm in the Royal Air Force (UK) - Might have a Battle!

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

I'm in the Royal Air Force (UK) - Might have a Battle!

Postby Animalzilla on Sat May 11, 2013 12:48 am

Being in the RAF is a challenge for anyone who wishes to bring changes to it.

When I get back to the UK I am going to make my religion known, now the main reason is I feel as a Pastafarian it is my Noodly God given right to have a beard. In the RAF you're not allowed a beard unless 1. you have a medical condition which prevents you shaving or, 2. Its part of your religion (Sikh ETC).

Now the problem I face is, Pastafarianism isnt recognised in the UK (as far as I am aware) so I ight have a batte to get the RAF to 1. Accept my religion and 2. Grow a beard.

Now, I'm no stranger to challenging rules as I have done already during my time in service so, I would appreciarte it if there are any other serving UK forces in this forum, if you could let me know if you have been able to convince your particular service to allow you religions freedom. I'd like to build a solid case if possible before I go noodles out and go for it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Animalzilla
Ziti Zealot

Re: I'm in the Royal Air Force (UK) - Might have a Battle!

Postby DavidH on Sat May 11, 2013 4:00 am

I'm ex-RAF, but a long time ago. I knew one airman who had a beard for medical reasons, but it was generally frowned on. Otherwise, I can't help - but good luck! :haha:
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat May 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Well, pirates are sacred, pirates have beards, therefore beardliness is next to pirateness.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Animalzilla on Sat May 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:Well, pirates are sacred, pirates have beards, therefore beardliness is next to pirateness.

The precise reason I want to help the UK understand this religion.
Animalzilla
Ziti Zealot

Postby freenarative on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:38 pm

In the Open Letter To Kansas School Board from Bobby Henderson, bobby tried to point out that a religion is only "legitimate" because someone says so. Let me give you a hypothetical

you: "I am a pastafarian and in my religion it says to worship in your own way. I choose to grow a beard because the hairs remind me of the FSMs' noodly appendage and its gentle touch."

them: "won't the hairs on your head do?"

you: "1) didn't you hear the part about "MY OWN WAY"? 2) if you need justification (and why should i need to clarify it's MY religeon!) here's a pic of the FSM"

he Kinda has a beard made from noodles, right?

Them: " this is fake I won't allow it

you: "why is it fake?

them: "because I say so"

you: "I say that YOUR go doesn't exist, sihks beards are only allowed because their god says their hair is a gift and WHY is your word any better than mine? I BELIEVE this and is my belief in the FSM any less valid than a christians belief in a white-bearded-God-who is also a man-who is also a ghost. Is my belief any less valid than a hindus belief in an eight armed elephant headed god called ganesh or belief of a crocodile headed Egyptian god?
Saying my god does not exist is legally a religious hate crime because you allow other people to believe in THEIR gods without ANY proof but BAN me from following my god"

Now the question is... do you have the BALLS to follow your belief? will you cower in the face of un-believers or will you be strong and hold fast?
Are you a REAL airman who will defend his beliefs from the attacks of the disbeliever or will you back down because you are afraid you'll be disaplined or fired?
But remember, if you do back down... the FSM teaches tolerance so let the big boys think they have won and walk away knowing that, hey, at least you tried ;)

I hope this helps you and p.s., I'm in the uk too and I know the fight you'll have to face. if you ever need to talk, drop me a pm and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I'm always happy to help.
Sledgehammer to the forehead. Night night cow!
freenarative
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Capt'n Chestbeard on Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:08 am

Nice to meet a fellow Pastafarian in the RAF! As a recent convert I haven't had a lot of time to look into FSM in the RAF (gotta love the TLA's), have you managed to make any progress?
Part-time dolphin Trainer, Full Time Ninja

Pastafarian Minister of Lincolnshire

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams
Capt'n Chestbeard
Ziti Zealot

Return to All Things FSM