Huh?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby Entropy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:15 am

So I guess that also means we'll have to burn any pictures, movies, scultures, food items, or assorted parapharnalia that looks like any sort of sealife (and I'm only using that line). If a "no Idols" clause surprises you, you've never heard of Islam or the Jyllands-Posten Controversy.
~Entropy
But you know I know when it's a dream
Entropy
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Al Dante on Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:16 pm

Hey Dog_Monster,

Thanks for coming back! I thought we'd lost you there for a while.

I'm sorry I thought your confusion meant that you hadn't read the letter. I guess the real reason for it was that the satire only makes sense in the context of present-day U.S. politics and cultural conflict between secular and fundamentalist-religious interests.

Of course your opinion matters to us! And we're glad you agree with the Pastafarians' position on the issue. Though the debate about Intelligent Design and science education is a U.S. thing, issues of religious tolerance are vital worldwide... as I'm sure I don't have to tell someone living in Israel.

Can you tell us more about what you mean when you say that "both subjects are separated" in Israel? Is the teaching of Evolution in grade school (students aged 6-18, though not much science is taught before age 13 or so) accepted by everyone? Or are those opposed to it just not politically powerful enough to make trouble? Is the theory of Intelligent Design taught at all, and if so, in what kind of classes? History, or Comparative Religions, perhaps?

Griffin, "compatible with all other religions" doesn't sound possible, if by "compatible" you mean "obeys all the strictures of." As far as I can tell, being tolerant of all other religions is about as far as the Pastafarians strive for. (If you want to see a true attempt at compatibility with not-quite-all other religions, check out the Unitarian Universalists.)

- universAL
Al Dante
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby daniel on Mon May 29, 2006 1:01 am

With apologies to "Catch 22":

I do not believe in God. But the god I don't believe in is a tolerant god with a sense of humor, who wants us to have a good time and be nice to each other. In other words, he's the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The only god (in my limited experience) who's never told people to go out and slaughter each other, or stone each other.

I think the FSM appeals to so many people because of the mix of humanistic tolerance and humor. And maybe because when you do get into an argument with fundamentalists and you bring up serious points about science or the inconsistencies of the Bible, they come back with circular logic and non sequetors and accuse you of who-knows-what odd positions you've never taken. But when you turn their own logic against them and argue that, yes, the world was created 5,000 years ago and made to look old, but that the creator is an invisible flying plate of spaghetti and meatballs, and then you bring in the whole pirate thing, and the beer volcano, it stops them in their tracks. They've got to reply for that. It hits them like a broadside cannonade and completely dismasts them.
Daniel

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal."
-- Emma Goldman
daniel
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:22 am

Al Dante wrote:Griffin, "compatible with all other religions" doesn't sound possible, if by "compatible" you mean "obeys all the strictures of." As far as I can tell, being tolerant of all other religions is about as far as the Pastafarians strive for. (If you want to see a true attempt at compatibility with not-quite-all other religions, check out the Unitarian Universalists.)

I'll take a stab at answering this one for Griffin: Compatible with all other religions means that the FSM is fine with His followers worshipping other God(s) of their choice, and doesn't demand that one be exclusively Pastafarian. I take issue with the wording of the "no Monsters before Me" bit, as I grew up in Ogopogo country, but Ogie may have been a bit of a Noodly Appendage anyway.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby ChowMein on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:05 pm

Hello Dog...., Speaking for myself...,all of this is a hilarious joke,one of which i'm very happy to be a part of LOL. :worship:
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby yodaman23 on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Welcome to the community Dog, I believe Sir Drake and Al put it incredibly well so I won't try to continue, just remember to stay respectful of any ideas or believes before you post and listen to mods. When they get angry bad things happen. :D
Let you be touched by his noodly appendage.
RAmen
yodaman23
Bucatini Buccanneer

Previous

Return to All Things FSM