OMFSM!

Home for all languages OTHER than plain old English (all varieties)

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: OMFSM!

Postby Duke on Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:07 am

fredznothere wrote:Oh...My...Flying Spaghetti Monster!

There are Pasatafarians who speak Esparanto!!

*bows down*

:shock:

You are the most amazing people ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you fer real? Well, it was bound to happen. Hey, if I had time to burn, I would learn Esparanto. I just, don't. Such is the life of an aspiring politician.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Swatopluk on Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:05 am

What would we come to if politicians would learn foreign languages?
Douglas Feith fired a very long-serving guy in the Pentagon because he could speak Arabic (if you know the enemy you are obviously not trustworthy anymore).
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby Duke on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:33 pm

Swatopluk wrote:What would we come to if politicians would learn foreign languages?
Douglas Feith fired a very long-serving guy in the Pentagon because he could speak Arabic (if you know the enemy you are obviously not trustworthy anymore).

Just and only because the person spoke Arabic? One would think that would be a plus.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Swatopluk on Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:01 am

That would be reality-based and therefore unacceptable.
The Pentagon has fired or silenced a lot of people for similar 'offenses'.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby Duke on Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:39 pm

Swatopluk wrote:That would be reality-based and therefore unacceptable.
The Pentagon has fired or silenced a lot of people for similar 'offenses'.

The Pentgon gets on my nerves. These talented people should go work for Interpol, or some other organization.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Swatopluk on Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:31 am

Some of them probably do(or retire a bit earlier than planned).
The FBI won't do because they have similar problems.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby Duke on Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:25 pm

Swatopluk wrote:Some of them probably do(or retire a bit earlier than planned).
The FBI won't do because they have similar problems.

Yeah, the FBI has a long history of being hideous, think Civil Rights Movement.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Swatopluk on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:24 am

In the most notorious FBI case it was the female translator that was fired for telling that the 9/11 info was there already but bungled by someone who only claimed to have language skills.
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby Duke on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:15 pm

Swatopluk wrote:In the most notorious FBI case it was the female translator that was fired for telling that the 9/11 info was there already but bungled by someone who only claimed to have language skills.

Interesting. Do you know of anything I could read about that, any articles?

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Swatopluk on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:21 pm

It was some time ago (even before the Iraq invasion, I think). I remember that executive privilege was claimed, effectively blocking her appeals trial.
Unfortunately I don't remember the name (the articles are buried under about a meter of other paper, so random googling might be the best method).
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk

Postby Duke on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:32 pm

Swatopluk wrote:It was some time ago (even before the Iraq invasion, I think). I remember that executive privilege was claimed, effectively blocking her appeals trial.
Unfortunately I don't remember the name (the articles are buried under about a meter of other paper, so random googling might be the best method).

Okay, thanks, I will look out for it.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Return to Languages Other than English