All things Fine and Noodley

Songs of the FSM. Praise, Adoration and Pirate Sea Chanteys. Express your musical and/or poetic talent.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: All things Fine and Noodley

Postby Helene Potier on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:47 am

oh yeah, i didnt notice there were 10 verses...

I like "Hail to the 10 Noodly Appendages." or we could call it "Homage to the 10 Noodley Appendages of Our Lord, being the Holy Image in Which He Created All Things" or something really annoying and long like that, because thats how they used to title things back in oldey-timey times. it gives our poem a false authenticity.
And Cloister spake: "Lo, I shall lead you to Fuschal, and there we shall open a temple of food, wherein shall be sausages and savoury doughnuts and all manner of bountiful things. Yea, even individual sachets of mustard. And those who serve shall wear hats of great majesty, yea, though they be made of coloured cardboard and have humorous arrows through the top."

Red Dwarf, Series 1, Waiting for God.
Helene Potier
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby tris on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Helene Potier wrote: we could call it "Homage to the 10 Noodley Appendages of Our Lord, being the Holy Image in Which He Created All Things" or something really annoying and long like that, because thats how they used to title things back in oldey-timey times. it gives our poem a false authenticity.

Yeah.. i like the idea...
How about:
"Homage to the 10 Noodley Appendages of our Lord, being the Transcendental and Sanctified Archetypes according to which He created all Things as Earthly Simulacrums in his most Holy and Blessed Divine Image"
I think it was the Custom (not very slavishly followed!) to capitalize only Nouns and Adjectives in titles at the Time...
E.g: Robinson Crusoe was published on April 25, 1719.... Its full title was
"The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe of York, Mariner:
Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself.
With an Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates. Written by Himself"
This custom has been standardised in the case of titles (of Films, songs, Books, etc) with the capitalising of the first word and all nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs, but generally not articles, conjunctions and short prepositions.

PS
The Capitalisation of Nouns (closest modern parallel, German) faded away between the Middle and End of the Eighteenth Century. The Reason was primarily aesthetic, as Writers and Printers moved away from Heavy Typography towards a more Italianate Model. There were also Economic Advantages, since it generally made Typesetting easier.
As regards typeface and fonts:
The heaviest Styles of Typography are usually associated with low-status or popular Publications -- the Equivalent of today's Tabloids, with their shouty sans-serif Headlines. By Contrast, high-status Writers (and their Printers) tended to favour lighter Typographical Stiles, especially going into the Augustan Age. (Alexander Pope is a good Example. He 'lightened' the Typography of his Books over the Course of his Career, particularly in Editions meant for Persons of Quality.)
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L
tris
Lord of Linguini

Postby Helene Potier on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:19 am

Well I Went for Not Doing the Less Important Words, Choosing to Capitalise the Word "Not" Because, Although a Short Word, it is Nevertheless Important. I Do Not Capitalise "For", "The" or "A" Unless They Are Important, Such As When I Put Them In Speech Marks Just a Second Ago.

Yeah i know about the german thing, and that influences such as the capitalisation of nouns faded with the increasing influences of other languages. i speak german (although not amazingly, cause i've only done it at A level, now about to start my uni course in french and german.) in english language i learnt something about old english and its germanic roots, and that was the most interesting part of the course. i wish i'd been able to do it in more detail.

oh, and your insanely long title is good. lets go with that one.
And Cloister spake: "Lo, I shall lead you to Fuschal, and there we shall open a temple of food, wherein shall be sausages and savoury doughnuts and all manner of bountiful things. Yea, even individual sachets of mustard. And those who serve shall wear hats of great majesty, yea, though they be made of coloured cardboard and have humorous arrows through the top."

Red Dwarf, Series 1, Waiting for God.
Helene Potier
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Previous

Return to Hymns and Songs