A question on interaction between religions.

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

A question on interaction between religions.

Postby akumu27 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:07 am

Long story short, I've been posting in a thread on GaiaOnline about the existence or nonexistence of a god. I introduced the Spaghedeity into the discussion, and after a while it resulted in a dialogue between myself and another person on the thread:

Me: What about polytheists? Thor, Odin, and their bunch are deities too, and polytheism (mainly neopaganism, although there are others) is still around. (And for those keeping track, that's right, I'm a triple-threat: Jew, Pastafarian, and Norse Neopagan. And before you ask, yes it is possible to be all three, using Pastafarianism as a bridge between the monotheistic and polytheistic. I've done my homework, and it all fits together nicely, without any conflicts or contradictions.)

Her: I'm totally visualizing that as the Jew-god at the top connected to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, each of whose noodly appendages is connected to a different Norse god/dess. Is that representation even close to being logical? And I apologize for any insult you might find; I'm just curious. That's a really interesting combination.

Me: You know, I never thought of it in a literal sense before. That's a really cool image. All I meant was that while Judaism states that there is only one god, which conflicts with the idea of the Norse pantheon, Pastafarianism is completely alright with any other religion being integrated into their belief system, thus making polytheism and monotheism chums. The noodly appendage link theory is great, though. I'll have to run that by the church, with your permission, of course.

Her: That's really cool. Absolutely. I love hearing that my ideas are good, haha.

Now, would her idea of Adonai (the Jewish god) sitting not necessarily at the top, but within close proximity to the FSM, and then his noodly appendages linking the Norse pantheon to Adonai, thus allowing me to partake in all three religions? I'm not sure if it fits in Scripture and Lore, but it's the closest fit I could find.

RAmen, Josh of Thornton, NH
akumu27
Conchigliette Convert

Re: A question on interaction between religions.

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:42 am

Are you insane?
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Clifford on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:16 pm

The idea of the FSM is not a bridge between religions, but that any God is the FSM, and the FSM is any God.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby akumu27 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:11 pm

To Zankou 2.0: That was extremely rude. I thought Pastafarianism was about kindness and tolerance, not insulting a person for asking a question that you don't like.

To Clifford: So does that mean that I can't be Jewish or Norse Neopagan? That'd be a shame.
akumu27
Conchigliette Convert

Postby GreenRain22 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:39 pm

I'm a Christian turned Pastafarian, and I still believe somewhat in God, just... differently. Whatever goes, goes. Being a Pastafarian is about being tolerant of other religions. You can be tolerant of other Pastafarians as well if they have different ideas.
Kaylee: Wash, tell me I'm pretty.
Wash: If I were unwed, I would take you up in a manly fashion.
Kaylee: 'Cause I'm pretty?
Wash: 'Cause your pretty.
(Wash and Kaylee, Firefly, Heart of Gold)

It's a broken hearts parade
And I'm putting my heart out on display
There's no masquerade
Just a funeral march for love today
The band strikes up and they're playing a song
Dressed in black, and we're singing along to the
Broken hearts parade
I've never been better then I am today

(Broken Hearts Parade - Good Charlotte)
GreenRain22
Chitarra Captain

Postby akumu27 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:29 am

GreenRain22 wrote:I'm a Christian turned Pastafarian, and I still believe somewhat in God, just... differently. Whatever goes, goes. Being a Pastafarian is about being tolerant of other religions. You can be tolerant of other Pastafarians as well if they have different ideas.

Thank you. That's what I was trying to get at.
akumu27
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Clifford on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:25 am

akumu27 wrote:To Clifford: So does that mean that I can't be Jewish or Norse Neopagan? That'd be a shame.

You may be Jewish or Norse Neopagan, whichever or both I respect your viewpoint, as that wasn't what I was talking about. The FSM only bridges religions in the sense that any god is as probable as the FSM Himself.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby akumu27 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:57 pm

Clifford wrote:
akumu27 wrote:To Clifford: So does that mean that I can't be Jewish or Norse Neopagan? That'd be a shame.

You may be Jewish or Norse Neopagan, whichever or both I respect your viewpoint, as that wasn't what I was talking about. The FSM only bridges religions in the sense that any god is as probable as the FSM Himself.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks! :D
akumu27
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Clifford on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:17 pm

Glad that we have reached a compromise old chap.
Clifford

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Return to Scripture and Lore