Fake 2nd edition

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Fake 2nd edition

Postby peacefulsongs on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:51 am

Noodles
peacefulsongs
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Dechujoh64 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:31 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:It's still listed as "in stock" on Amazon. We need to report the theft of our intellectual property to them and send a notification of infringement claim.

Since it is a book by amazon it will always be in stock.
Dechujoh64
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:The book is no longer listed on CreateSpace, but it is still listed on Amazon. It may take a little bit for Amazon's servers to catch up, but I'm hoping it goes away in the next 24 hours.

You can't publish someone else's intellectual property without their permission. And certainly not without a signed contract. Idiot!

The book is back up on CreateSpace. Let's nail this bastard!
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:51 pm

Dechujoh64 wrote:
Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:It's still listed as "in stock" on Amazon. We need to report the theft of our intellectual property to them and send a notification of infringement claim.

Since it is a book by amazon it will always be in stock.

It will only be in stock as long as it's being printed. It's a POD book (print on demand). I thought the "author" had delisted the book with CreateSpace, the publishing arm of Amazon, but it looks like he just made some revisions or temporarily delisted it.

It's an active listing on CreateSpace again. Which means we can lodge a formal complaint using their system I quoted a page back. But it needs to be someone with some form of authority over the book. So a member of the council, at least. Preferably also a contributor whose works are included in the infringed work.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby Dechujoh64 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:55 pm

peacefulsongs wrote:http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dechujoh&sprefix=dechu%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adechujoh
peacefulsongs wrote:There is a new book out by Johan D Konnig called, "Dechujoh's Stories from the Loose Canon: The Books of Dechujoh. The ISBN is 978-1495979613 . I would provide a link but that is very difficult on my kindle.
peacefulsongs wrote:Noodles

I Told the Council of Olive Garden that I was doing a test book OF ONLY MY STUFF that you can see here at the forums. They had a week to stop it at the Council's forum but none of the other members told me no. Sadly my book at 48 pgs @ 6x9 is to small to be royalty free everywhere so only those using amazon. com within the US will be able to get the book. and I will get zero royalties.

I used my stories to do a test book to see 2 things. #1: to see if what Juicegiver said was correct.(and yes eric=Juice)and what JG said about selling so many copies to break even from what he lost with his bought ISBN would be correct. and also that it can be at zero royalties, but also once the book is there it cannot ever be taken back to my knowledge. So that is why JG has put that The price goes up to $79.99 on April 15, 2014. to hopefully make it un-buyable.
#2: what would it have to be to sell a book of the loose canon to sell for ZERO ROYALTIES AT AMAZON. I have been able to calculate that the book would need...250 pages at 8.5x11 to have ZERO ROYALTIES everywhere. (Except for kindle ebook, will never be at zero, so don't sell it as an ebook).
Because If I had put the book to sale anywhere else I would have gotten so Serious Royalties.

Also if you looked at it
sale price $3.24
List Price: $3.60 (was the price amazon wanted me to sell it at to get $0.00 in ROYALTIES.)if it was $3.62 that would have gotten me $0.01 royalty.
Save: $0.36 (10%) is of amazons loss in profit.
Paperback: 48 pages(how many pages it took at 9x6 from 30 pages of text at times new roman 16 text size. at 8.5x11 with regular 1in boarder.)
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform; ver. 1 edition (selling date)>(February 16, 2014)
Language: English
Product Dimensions: 9 x 6 x 0.1 inches
Shipping Weight: 4.3 ounces

I doubt that anybody will buy my book of stories.

SO hopefully I have told my side of the story well enough to everyone.
Dechujoh64
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:15 pm

To me, it has nothing to do with profit.

We would have to keep an eye on the price forever, or trust JG not to change it for a profit. He's already shown that he has no interest in obeying US law, even when it's been explained to him in advance. Nor does he have any desire to follow the wishes of the creators of the Loose Canon or the Council of the Olive Garden.

He went ahead and published other people's work without their permission, and against the wishes of the co-creators of the book, TO WHOM HE HAD SPECIFICALLY TALKED ABOUT PUBLISHING THE BOOK. That's illegal and immoral. The fact that he deleted those portions written by the people who objected, and then went on to call it "The Complete Second Edition" only compounds his sins. Not to mention the fact that the Second Edition isn't even complete yet.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby DaveL on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:56 am

Well said guys… stand firm against this charlatan. He has shown complete and unrelenting contempt for the Loose Canon works. He also has no right or grounds for working with the Council of The Olive Garden, which he claims he looks forward to doing. The Council only looks forwards to working with one group of people, and that's the Forum members. No dealing with third parties and no exchange of works for money.
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby peacefulsongs on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:23 pm

DaveL wrote:Well said guys… stand firm against this charlatan. He has shown complete and unrelenting contempt for the Loose Canon works. He also has no right or grounds for working with the Council of The Olive Garden, which he claims he looks forward to doing. The Council only looks forwards to working with one group of people, and that's the Forum members. No dealing with third parties and no exchange of works for money.

The Loose Canon has sold a total of two copies so far. I don't believe the publisher will make a profit. The publisher was acting in a spirit of charity. I am starting to have suspicions about the gospel of the flying spaghetti monster. I doubt that it made a profit. Nobody gives a scrap about the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
peacefulsongs

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:28 pm

You are the publisher. You've admitted it.

It's not about whether you make a profit or not. It's about the fact that you've stolen the intellectual property of others, broken US and international law, lied to the printer about your rights to publish the material, gone against the expressed wishes of the Council of the Olive Garden who were the ones to gather the writings from the authors in the first place, and gone against the agreements made to the authors when they submitted their writings in the first place: that the writings would be used only in freely available online form.

If you want forgiveness, don't PM me asking for it. Take down the book. Admit that you were wrong, first to take what wasn't yours, against the wishes of those it belonged to, second to break the law, and third to NOT IMMEDIATELY STOP DOING IT when it became clear that you were in the wrong.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby peacefulsongs on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:33 pm

MAY you be blessed
peacefulsongs

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 pm

Please stop sending me private messages, Eric. There's nothing I have to say to you that I want to keep other people from hearing.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby peacefulsongs on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:00 am

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:Please stop sending me private messages, Eric. There's nothing I have to say to you that I want to keep other people from hearing.

May you be blessed.
peacefulsongs

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:19 am

Here's an article on what can happen when someone publishes someone else's work online:
http://writersweekly.com/the_latest_fro ... 52006.html

$500 for two articles. That was just a settlement.

When Do You Need Permission To Use Someone Else's Material?
http://publishlawyer.com/publishing-faq ... s_material

Pretty much always, if you're publishing an entire book and it's not public domain. And the Loose Canon ISN'T.

Risks Associated With Publication:
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/risks-a ... ublication

Pay special attention to their Fourth point, where they talk about intellectual property, and publishing someone else's work.

An Introduction To Copyright Law:
http://www.pacificu.edu/policies/copyright/basics.cfm

This isn't about money or profit or anything like that. The authors of the Loose Canon contributed their work with the understanding that it would only be used for a free online version. Publishing it in ANY other format would both legally and ethically require getting permission from the authors or the authors' estates.

You've broken the law. You need to stop. Stop publication of the book. Take it off CreateSpace. Take it off Amazon. CEASE AND DESIST.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

Postby peacefulsongs on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:04 am

Nobody has to deal with these problems. You are welcome.
peacefulsongs

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:24 am

There is nothing to thank you for.

No one agreed to have their works published. It is unethical to publish their works without their permission.

The illegality is how we can stop you. It's not what we object to the most.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard

PreviousNext

Return to Scripture and Lore