Whose God May We Mock?

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Whose God May We Mock?

Postby Riki on Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:47 am

Whose God May We Mock?

If "such lies and errors had been directed at the Quran or the Holocaust," said Archbishop Angelo Amato, the Vatican's secretary for the congregation for the doctrine of the faith, "they would have justly provoked a world uprising." The archbishop was speaking of "The Da Vinci Code," the Ron Howard film that debuts at Cannes and opens worldwide this week, and is expected to gross $500 million by summer's end.

The archbishop's point is undeniable. Blasphemous cartoons of the Prophet with a bomb in his turban, published a few months ago in a Danish newspaper and reprinted on the front pages of Europe's major papers, ignited demonstrations in Muslim communities across Europe and violent and deadly riots across the Islamic world. Leaders friendly to the West, from Egypt to Afghanistan, felt compelled to denounce the cartoons, as did many in the West, as a provocation and insult to the faith of a billion people.

In the 1990s, the British novelist Salman Rushdie spent years in hiding after Ayatollah Khomeini issued a "fatwa" calling for his killing for publishing the blasphemous "Satanic Verses." In the 1970s, the film "Muhammad," starring Anthony Quinn, was pulled from many U.S. theaters after bomb threats. The film had offended Muslim faithful by showing the face of Muhammad.

Last February, British historian David Irving, whose books on World War II have sold in the millions, was convicted in an Austrian court of Holocaust denial and sentenced to three years in prison. His crime: In two speeches in Austria in 1989, Irving asserted there were no gas chambers at Auschwitz. Though he recanted in court, it did not save him. Prosecutors felt his sentence was too light.

Karen Pollock of Great Britain's Holocaust Education Trust applauded the verdict: "Holocaust denial is anti-Semitism dressed up as intellectual debate. It should be regarded as such and treated as such." In nine countries of Europe, Holocaust denial is a crime. In the United States, to deny the Holocaust happened or suggest that it has been exaggerated is not a crime, but marks one down as a social leper.

If you would know who wields cultural power, ask yourself: Whom is it impermissible to offend? Thus the hoopla attending the release of "The Da Vinci Code," based on the Dan Brown novel that has sold 7 million copies in the United States, tells us something about whose God it is permissible to mock and whose faith one is allowed to assault.

For what "The Da Vinci Code" says is that Roman Catholicism is a gigantic fraud, that the church has for centuries been perpetrating a monstrous hoax, duping hundreds of millions into believing something it knows is a bald-faced lie. At the novel's heart lies the contention that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married, that they had a daughter, that the Vatican has known this and been hiding the descendants of Jesus, that Opus Dei is a secret order whose agents will engage in murder to protect the secret.

Leonardo da Vinci's painting "The Last Supper" is said to hold the secret, as Jesus is portrayed touching the hand of the youngest apostle, John, who holds the place of honor at his side - and who is, on close inspection, Mary Magdalene. In Catholic teaching and tradition, the Holy Grail is the chalice that contained the blood of Jesus. In the book, the Holy Grail is Mary Magdalene, carrying the flesh and blood of Jesus in her womb.

If "The Da Vinci Code" is based upon facts, no other conclusion follows than that to be a Catholic is either to be in on this fraud or to be the dupe of those perpetuating it. But if it is fiction, why would Hollywood put out so viciously anti-Catholic a film that can only have the effect of undermining the faith of millions of Christians?

Putting "The Da Vinci Code" on film, with what it alleges about the Catholic Church, is the moral equivalent of making a movie based on the "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" and implying this is the truth about the Jewish plot to control the world. One imagines Ron Howard and Tom Hanks would take a pass on that script. Like the "Hitler's Pope" smear of Pius XII, a man who did more than any other to save the Jews in World War II, "The Da Vinci Code" is a Big Lie that, though readily refuted by the facts, will be believed.

But that it will be a box-office smash, that it is the subject of lavish praise in the press, that it is the best-selling novel of the 21st century, tells us we live not just in a post-Christian era, but in an anti-Catholic culture not worth defending or saving, for it is truly satanic.

http://www.catholiccitizens.org/platfor ... sp?c=33426
Riki
Ziti Zealot

Re: Whose God May We Mock?

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:59 am

Riki wrote:But that it will be a box-office smash, that it is the subject of lavish praise in the press, that it is the best-selling novel of the 21st century, tells us we live not just in a post-Christian era, but in an anti-Catholic culture not worth defending or saving, for it is truly satanic.

http://www.catholiccitizens.org/platfor ... sp?c=33426

That's funny... Pat agrees with Anton LaVey? Someone should let him know. There's a whole chapter on 'Evidence of a New Satanic Age' in the Bible.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby boghog on Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:04 am

Riki wrote:Whose God May We Mock?

I mock Plagaron, the God of those who post material they did not write themselves.

:D
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby XanderTheMuffinKing on Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:36 pm

Xenu?
When lifes got you down throw in the God( or FSM) mode and keep kicking butt.
Cory Rous former host of Cheat..
XanderTheMuffinKing
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Ninjaccolt on Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Riki wrote:
If "such lies and errors had been directed at the Quran or the Holocaust," said Archbishop Angelo Amato.

At least people know that the Da Vinci Code is fiction. (or people with half a brain anyway)

The bible is fiction too. It is a volume of stories to live by, not a literal translation.

the irony here is overbearing
Hail the demonic ninja dieties!
Ninjaccolt
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Pastafarian Pirate on Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:39 pm

Ninjaccolt wrote:At least people know that the Da Vinci Code is fiction. (or people with half a brain anyway)

The bible is fiction too. It is a volume of stories to live by, not a literal translation.

the irony here is overbearing

Ninja,

Just so ya know... the moderators on this board will be quick to admonish you to state such things as being "in your opinion," and not as being factual statements.

I have encountered people who seemed to have complete brains and yet still felt that there was some truth to the Da Vinci Code. While I was quick to point out that the book was fictional, they felt that the messages pointed to an underlying truth, and that many works of fiction have been based upon underlying facts, it is commonly done. I personally don't agree with them, but they are entitled to their opinion without being called half-brained.

As for the bible... whoooo - boy! You made a sweeping statement without any factual justification... one that is countered by millions of people worldwide. Many people feel that the bible is the literal word of god and is true word for word. Again, I personally don't agree with them, but being as how we will never know the absolute truth one way or the other, why say such things? There are people who say that "band X" is the best band in the history of the world... that is their opinion, and just like you, they are entitled to it.

Just a few kind cautionary words for ya... have fun out here!

:pirate_fish: :pirate_fish: :pirate_fish:
Pastafarian Pirate
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby OEJ2 on Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:49 pm

A few months ago Hindus got angry over the image of Ganesh on bikinis.

See here...

I think the FSM would be honored to have his image on clothing of such a festive nature? One more reason he is worthy of our worship.
OEJ the Second
OEJ2
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Aeger on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:12 pm

Ok, first of all the Da Vinci got one star in the Boston Globe, and was nationally criticized for it's poor directing and acting. But people still believe it. Very sad. If I had a dollar for every time someone started a rant to me based word for word off of the Da Vinci Code I'd have, like, 7 dollars.

In regards to whose God I mock: I like to Mock all Gods, though I prefer Zeus and the like because they have a face and so are easier to make fun of (instead of a certain all-encompassing deity who hides behind a giant cloud and randomly strikes infidels with plagues... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE).
I am anti-"txt talk." I support good grammar. I am part of the "Save the Vowels" movement. For your sanity and mind, type out your damn words.

Thank you
Aeger
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Captain 'Noodly' Cutlass on Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:14 pm

Pastafarian Pirate wrote:As for the bible... whoooo - boy! You made a sweeping statement without any factual justification... one that is countered by millions of people worldwide

To rip from Richard Dawkins in 'The God Delusion'.

A group of indigenous people (cant remember where) believe that all misfortune comes from invisible witches who shoot poison darts at random people, who then suffer misfortune in some way or another. A professor told this to his colleagues over dinner over one night, and the theology prof.(a christian) stood up and said something to the effect of 'poor fools, if only they could know the truth' (refering to the bible).

Reading the Bible and believing its contents is just as outdated and illogical as the poison dart belief, but because it is (sadly) widely believed it is, therefore, socially acceptable. And sometimes it is even unacceptable to speak out against it.The Bible is only a two thousand year old story book, one which suporrts offering your virgin daughters to an angel-raping mob (Genesis 19:7 - 19:9). This is all in my humble opinion of course and who am I to even dare to stand against the unquestionable truth of the Bible?
The Noble Pirate Missionary

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.'
Aristotle

What's the point of natural selection if we're going to pay for the healthcare and wellbeing of philistines, reprobates and criminals...
Captain 'Noodly' Cutlass
Ziti Zealot

I would like to think we can mock any ideology

Postby MrJonno on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:39 pm

I think the difference is whether you are mocking the ideology or the individuals. (I know some people can't tell the difference but thats tough).

Also I do think the Da Vinci Code while it did mock the Catholic church I don't really think it incited hatred against anyone.

Mocking/insulting someone beliefs should never be a crime, but taking actions that are likely to incite violence/hatred is (should be).
MrJonno
Ziti Zealot

Postby SauceBeUponYe on Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:08 am

I agree with Captain 'Noodly' Cutlass

many christians world wide, especially Anglicans (who are my favorite type cos they are very liberal about everything) see the bible not as truth but as a series of stories on how to live your life. when Jesus told people of the good samaritan they didn't think that that story actually happened, he was just making a point.
So were the writers of the old testment, unfortunately fundies and evangelicals seem to think that the creation of the world did happen in seven days and that Noah did live for 950 years (Genesis 9:29) which is simply ridiculous.
like the Bilbe the Da Vinci Code is pure fiction, nobody believes that Harry Potter is really but just because Dan Brown wrote (i can't remember exactly) "The Priory of Sion did actually exist blah blah blah" at the front of his book everyone thought the whole thing was true.
unfortunatly Dan Brown didn't do his research and would hve realised that the Priory was part of an allaborate hoax in 1956.
why does everyone get so wound up about all these things anyway.

they will come realise they errors of their ways when they are tocuhed by His Noodly Appendage.
:worship: :fsm_float:
The Great Papal Patriarch and Dalai Lama and Pirate of His Holy Appendage
SauceBeUponYe
Ziti Zealot

Postby bubz_the_troll on Mon May 07, 2007 12:16 am

The gods and goddess' shouldn't be mocked (unless mockery is their particular province). It's the people who take written words too seriously who should be mocked.

Imagine if there was a nuclear holocaust that destroyed every written work that was ever printed except the warehouses of the National Enquirer. Say that in 1000 years the survivors finally dig up the National Enquirer warehouse and take it into their mutated heads to use the old copies of NE as their religious text. Does that make it a religion that should be taken seriously? Should people really expect that the Mutant Bat Boy from Mars will return with Elvis and Madonnas love child to render salvation unto all believers and the bald she-devil Britteny Spears will lay waste to all unbelievers?
bubz_the_troll
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Occam on Mon May 07, 2007 9:45 am

I think you can mock anything you want but you must accept the consequences. The law might protect free speech but few things can protect against a well aimed brick.

I'd like to think that if Muslims had imprisoned me as a child and brainwashed me then I'd now spend a lot of time mocking Islam. As it happens it was Christians who abused my poor young mind so therefore they receive the greatest share of my ire.
Pastafarianism - The Religion Most Likely To Be True TM
Occam
Bucatini Buccanneer

Return to Scripture and Lore