Beer

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Beer

Postby PKMKII on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:24 pm

Sixpoint Brewery is released 3Beans, a Baltic Porter brew with Stumptown coffee, Mast Brothers cocoa, and Romano beans. Shut up and take my money!
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:00 pm

—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:05 pm

*hic*

cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Mystic of Meatball

Postby TheDream on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:20 am

daftbeaker wrote:Image

A present from people visting from Deutschland. It tastes nice (roughly on a par with or better than Carlsberg and much better than Fosters).

Assuming your bladder can hold three pints it is actually cheaper than piss (if you return the bottles 6 pints cost less than 2 quid and the last public toilet I saw cost a quid to use).

The Germans do some things very well, cars and cheap beer seem to be the best ones :love:

The real deal of German beer would be bier beer from Berlin, or Wulle in my opinion. but it's right - you won't find some really bad beer here...
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.
Dalai Lama

TheDream
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Helium Hands on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:10 pm

The real deal of German beer, really, is any that adheres to the Reinheitsgebot, IMHO. It's like saying the only real patisseries are in Paris when there are excellent pastry shops around the world that make pastries comparable to (and in some cases superior to) those made in France.
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

I have come to love the "foe" feature - my own private banhammer.
Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby PKMKII on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:51 am

Helium Hands wrote:The real deal of German beer, really, is any that adheres to the Reinheitsgebot, IMHO.

The purpose of the Reinheitsgebot was not to create a higher beer standard. It was to ensure that ingredients that could be used to produce food (namely, wheat) did not become prohibitively expensive. At this point it's more marketing than anything else.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby Helium Hands on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:41 am

PKMKII wrote:The purpose of the Reinheitsgebot was not to create a higher beer standard. It was to ensure that ingredients that could be used to produce food (namely, wheat) did not become prohibitively expensive. At this point it's more marketing than anything else.

I am aware, and I never claimed that it was for a higher standard of beer. And in any case it wasn't just wheat. Rye was the predominant grain of choice for the vast majority of non-rich people throughout Europe. The Reinheitsgebot also protected that crop as well.
But as it was a precondition of German unification, I consider it to be essential to traditional German beer. Although one could argue that including the Biersteuergesetz-abiding beers are also acceptable. ;-)
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

I have come to love the "foe" feature - my own private banhammer.
Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby PKMKII on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:43 am

Bought a six-pack of Southern Tier Phin and Matt's Extraordinary Ale. A lot of craft brewers in America tend to focus their efforts on these really bold, over-the-top flavors, loads of hops, unusual ingredients thrown in with the mash or brew, and high ABV. But this just a classic ale, done really well. Something very British about the flavor.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:44 am

PKMKII

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:26 pm

It's quite nice, nothing special though. Not worth the £1.39 for a half pint it was in Tesco before the offer when there's equally nice beer much cheaper.

In other news, I'm drinking McEwans Export again :drinking:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Thu May 16, 2013 1:19 am

Here's one for ET: Bangor Beer Festival.

PKMKII

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Fuller's 1845 tastes rather nice, definitely a slow sipping beer. It does smell rather like marmite though :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Black and Tans. Honestly, I think it's a lot of faff for not much gain and it tends to involve two half pints going stale unless you a) have a mate that also enjoys them or b) drink the first one quick enough the layers mix, rather defeating the point.

Having said that, they are pretty and an excellent demonstration of non-mixing due to density :scientist:

daftbeaker

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:42 pm

—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby PKMKII on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:43 am

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale: Good pumpkin beer.

Southern Tier Pumking: Bad pumpkin beer.

PKMKII

PreviousNext

Return to Food