LENTILS

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

LENTILS

Postby bonsaiherb on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Since I added this paragraph - "My answer is to wipe out 75 percent of your meat intake and start learning LENTIL. Soy milk, soy protein. Vegetable smoothies, soybeans and brown rice might go far in preserving a planet population that will be three times the size of mine when I was born in 1950. to my recipe page. I will be adding some as I process them.

Not ONE computer recipe for it! I usually veer to the Indian spices and recipes, but have also used the common Ham hock or shredded chicken to a lentil-vegetable base to make more of a chili out of it. I did find copious notes from when I had been making this dish. Especially good for cold winter nights. Strangely, I stopped making it. Also very good for slow cooking in crock pots. (BUT NOT with black beans!) Also a good 'survival' food to stock up on as if sealed, the lentils will last for years!

I would love to hear from the forum their own variations.
Red Lentil Soup - typical Indian mix with cumin, mustard seeds, chilli powdered turmeric powder. Maybe some Coriander. For other recipes I go with smoked paprika.

The Ham hock is typical fare, chicken broth, veggies etc.
I do like mixing Black Beans with Lentil Soup CANNED ... I once had a bad experience under cooking beans and paid for that carelessness mightily. Carrots and smoked paprika or chipotle seasonings give it a warm orangy color. Most of my lentils are red. Usually some meat is involved, ie a few strips of bacon, fat removed.
Lentil (Dal with tomato soup)http://sweetgeodes.com/senft/?page_id=2362

The Vegetarian alternative would be to use vegetable bullion. Not as satisfying by a long shot.
From my Indian cookbook I also made a Dal/lentil soup using tomatoes and onions of course.

bonsaiherb
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Re: LENTILS

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Lentils are fab for bulking out a meat dish with extra protein (so you need to use less meat - good if you're on a budget, or just want to cut down). A couple handfuls in a stew or curry is great, and gives you a lovely thick sauce to boot.

Beans are also good for extra bulk - and tinned are really useful (and saves on having to presoak!).

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby bonsaiherb on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:31 pm

Totally agree,

Somehow I got a huge inheritance of dry green peas, beans and have been plowing threw them. I used to use Lentils much more a decade ago, then forgot about them. The other good thing is that they store forever if kept correctly. So does honey surprisingly. I used to be fairly good beekeeper and I am still eating some of those old extractions.

I was not so lucky in some outdated sesame oil I had in the fridge. Used it, and overnight I had a hystemine reaction from my butt to my toes. Today, I am grumpily cautious about due dates as the stores will sell items long past the due date. I ran into three items on my last shopping trip, including chicken. AARGH. Worse yet, they often donate such items to the food banks and let the poor take the risk. When I was younger I my system but not now when I am older.

A year ago I ate some combination that made my belly swell up like a pregnant woman. Turned out to be gas. Trouble is it created a belly button hernia. Still don't know the cause. 150.00 later I got the prescription. Gas Ex at the local store. JEESH!

Gotta get to my soccer game. Cheers!
bonsaiherb
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:04 am

Mrs T makes an incredible lentil soup. If I can weasel the recipe out of her, I'll post it here.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Cardinal Fang on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:11 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Mrs T makes an incredible lentil soup. If I can weasel the recipe out of her, I'll post it here.

Oooooh nomnomnom

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby bonsaiherb on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:15 am

I agree that would be wonderful! A new lentil recipe. Best of all they make affordable meals, good with carrots, beans, rice whatever. I must add my favorite language for words.
GERMAN - why use one, when seven will do the job. Being cussed out by my father took some time!

Himmelherrgottkreuzmillionendonnenderwetter -- godamn

Bread of course was also a mainstay in the old days as were potatoes. Little known word origin.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the "upper crust".

Finally: "Be nice to your kids, they'll choose your nursing home."
bonsaiherb
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Snipe on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:38 am

Oh I am a big disciple of lentils. My mother was quite deep into her Chinese philosophy when I was a child and she would push on us the idea (and quite correct idea I believe) that instead of taking ‘medicine’, as much as possible we should try and work out which foods our bodies are craving or suffering a deficiency in, when we fall ill. This winter I was hit with one of the fiercest and quickest arising flus that I have ever had. Thankfully I had just bought the best memory foam mattress topper ever from this company to replace the old one I had before (something left over from primary school.) So I was very comfortable and my dear, darling flatmate made a great vat of lentil soup. Recipe here from the good ol' Beeb, if you are interested. With cumin and chilli flakes and carrots! A little milk and blended to gooey smoothness so that I could get it down. And in two days time I was up out of bed and singing with the birds again. :fsm_float:

Not one little pill or teas spoon of medicine. I thank the lentils!

O yes, I am a disciple.
Snipe
Conchigliette Convert

Postby bonsaiherb on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:01 am

Unread postby Snipe on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:38 am
Oh I am a big disciple of lentils.

Thank you for the link. When I get around to it I will add my own version of lentil/carrot soup. The dollop of yogurt finishes off a very healthy and CHEAP meal. My own addition to this thread is a bit sadder. Lentils are also a good 'survival' food and if properly stored will last years.

My fridge died a few days ago and I did not notice its demise until I pulled out something with mold on it. Everything got dumped. By the time I had finished I didn''t have anything to eat. Grabbed some lentils, cooked them, added some black beans (canned). What else do I have? Some garlic greens from the garden and a can of Campbell s tomato rice soup. Dat was it. Not a gourmet treat but it wasn't bad at all. Yogurt would have been nice.

I would grow them, but they are so cheap it doesn't make sense and I would have to mail order the seeds.
http://www.harvesttotable.com/2009/07/h ... ow_lentil/

bonsaiherb
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Return to Food