The Bread Thread

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

The Bread Thread

Postby sorill on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:00 am

I hope I'm not duplicating any old topic now (couldn't find one, at least)... Of course we need a thread about bread!

I don't know about the situation where you live, but myself, I've often been annoyed by the fact that there is no decent bread at reasonable price! It's all white sugared-down pieces of sponge, everywhere. So, if you want a good bread you have to make it yourself.

This is what I usually make:

Day 1: setting sourdough
Mix 2 dl of water at about body temperature and 2 dl of rye flour in a glass yar. Add a few tablespoons of grated apple. Leave it standing, and shake it a couple of times per day.

Day 3: final touch
Add 1 dl of water and 1 dl more of the flour to the jar. Leave overnight.

Day 4: making the bread!
Boil 2 dl of crushed rye in about 4 dl of water (it soaks the water up; add more if it gets dry) for about 15 minutes. Let it cool to room temperature.
Mix the crushed rye porridge with the sourdough. Add 5 dl of water at body temperature. Crush these dried seeds in a mortar and add them: 1 tablespoon of cumin, 1 tablespoon of anis and 1 tablespoon of fennel.
Add 150 g of room tempered margarine, in pieces, and half a tablespoon of salt.
Then start mixing in the flour, which is good exercise (unless you've got a machine to do it). I use about 1,2 l of wheat flour, and about another 5 dl of rye flour.
Unfortunately, the dough will be rather sticky and hard to handle. If you're better than me at baking, please do provide your ideas how to improve on this :)
Leave it under a cloth for about 2 hours or till your patience runs out.

Make loaves (this should suffice for about three), and leave them under a cloth for 40 minutes. Put them in the oven at 220 degrees Celsius until the crust becomes brown.

Please share your bread-y thoughts!
sorill
Ziti Zealot

Return to Food