Proof religion is good for something

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Proof religion is good for something

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:57 am

Arkaeon wrote:In most cases, it has been replaced by "ingredients" like di- and tri-glycerides, sodium benzoate, sulfites, gluconates, and ascorbic acid. Some have their own problems, and some just look scary.

Glycerides are just fats, benzoate does not equal benzene, sulfites are useful preservatives, gluconates are formed naturally in the body (and used topically for HF exposure) and we've already covered ascorbic acid.

I'd rather eat a bunch of that stuff than raw cassava roots or coffee beans or kidney beans :wink:

FaithfulPirate42 wrote:Oooh, DB, you should teach about that! Forget the periodic table and other such useless trivia, get your students drunk on water!

How dare you insult my beloved Periodic Table :idiot:

I did manage to get through to one kid today that's obsessed with drugs. We had a quick chat about cannabis potency and I doodled the structure of morphine/heroin which seemed to interest him for a few seconds. Still didn't get any work from him though :bummer:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Did you teach him enough for him to figure out how to manufacture drugs? I'd be careful if I were you... :paranoid:

:idiot:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff
Download The Loose Canon, a deliciously holy book compiled by members of Our Noodly Lord's congregation!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Arkaeon on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:34 pm

I've already got enough natural/legal herbal products in this room to eliminate the need for most recreational drugs. I could also cure athlete's foot and strep throat, among other things. Could also make a few deadly poisons. It's all about dosage, mixture, and application...

Di- and tri- glycerides apparently aren’t "toxic" in additive doses, but they do interfere with fat-burning, which aggravates overeating. Makes you more hungry more often. Combined with mixed sugars and complex carbohydrates, leads almost inexorably to obesity.

Sulfites are safe enough (except for people with allergies to them), but makes wines taste like you slopped in some battery acid, and they give a lot of people a headache from vasoconstriction. Sulfite reactions can lead to early strokes. Tastewise, might be why home-brewed wines have taken gold medals over the best commercial products in recent years’ wine contests.

I've got nothing against sodium benzoate at this point.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Previous

Return to Food