To anyone who is living or has ever lived in England

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

To anyone who is living or has ever lived in England

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:04 am

why, oh WHY must you put meat in pies? who thought this was a good idea? its meat... in a PIE! PIE I SAY!

err, I mean, just uh.... wondering about uh.... english culinary phenomena...

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby boghog on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:15 am

Mmm... meat pies - invented by the English, perfected by the Quebecois:

La tourtiere! La reine des tartes!

Ground beef with spices in a flaky shell... what's not to like?

I can't see how anyone can think that meat in pie form is anything other than wonderful (except, of course, vegetarians or others who eschew meat altogether).

When I retire, I want to have a little farm where I cross-breed tourtieres and pasties (and maybe samosas).
:D
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:50 pm

I don't eat calzones and hot pockets hardly qualify as pie. I don't think I eat those either.. I think I eat the mini pizza ones, and those just have sauce and cheese in them..
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby kat on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:16 pm

I love meat pies.
Do not do in public that which you do not which commented upon by the public.
kat
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:22 am

Meat pies are awesome. Pastry and... ANYTHING is good.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:55 pm

Mmmm..... MEAT pie *aaglglgglglgglg* (Homer Simpson-esq drooling)

My great grandmother made a KILLER mincemeat pie, that had meat (among MANY other things) in it.

Alas - she took her recipe with her when she Took The Next Step. She was one of those "natural" cooks that "pinch and dash" her way to the results. Thus, exactly HOW she made something was either a hands-on experience (working WITH her during) or else a complete mystery. *sigh*

But it was KILLER pie.

I have yet to experience one like hers yet, and I HAVE looked (and tried various variations, to no avail).

I do know that it had ham, raisins (white and black), walnuts, apples, and FSM-alone knows what else.

I imagine some home-grown pork-fat was liberally added, too - likely in the crust as well.

But %^)#)(%$ those were good pies!

Thanks, Q, I haven't thought of great grandma Haney's mincemeat pies in AGES. (she passed on in the 70's)
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Re: To anyone who is living or has ever lived in England

Postby boghog on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:18 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:why, oh WHY must you put meat in pies? who thought this was a good idea? its meat... in a PIE! PIE I SAY!

Qwerty,

Just wondering - did you have a bad experience with a meat pie or something?

boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:28 pm

no, I just heard that they put meat in pie.

it was honeslty my sisters idea. I suppose I'll try some....

even if it does taste good, whose idea was it to put meat in pie? its like, who decided to eat white things that come out of chickens?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby boghog on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:02 pm

The one that makes me wonder is cheese. Imagine the first time someone had it:

"Whew! This milk's gone completely bad - it's even turned into solid chunks. It's no good for drinking any more, but maybe I'll slice it up and have it on crackers."

boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Bob the Unbeliever on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:49 am

My brother always asked the question:

Who was the first person to drink beer? It's rotten grains, after all - it smells rotten, and at first taste, "accidental" beer likely tasted rotten, too.

Likely didn't have that much alcohol in it either, so the "kick" was not likely much-if at all.

But, some brave fool was thirsty enough to drink it --- and civilization was born* as a result! :D

* in that the beer theory of the birth of cultured farming - you needed a surplus of grain to have enough extra to make beer, and that required you to intentionally plant your grains and stick around to keep the animals from eating the harvest. All that eventually led to modern civilization ...
Bob the Unbeliever
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby boghog on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:54 am

[quote="Bob the Unbeliever"]But, some brave fool was thirsty enough to drink it --- and civilization was born* as a result! :D

I read a Dr. Who book once that had a claim that civilization was a result of wine. The start was how you describe for beer, but it went on to illustrate that carpentry and metallurgy were required to make barrels, then glass-blowing for bottles, then commerce to allow duty-free shops, then air and sea travel to provide an excuse for the duty-free shops to the excise officers, who had invented themselves along the way somehow.

boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Sheik Yurbouti on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:36 am

Drinking the first beer I can almost understand. But the first one to eat a raw clam? Now that guy had guts!
Sheik Yurbouti
Ziti Zealot

Postby beagle on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:34 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:no, I just heard that they put meat in pie.

it was honeslty my sisters idea. I suppose I'll try some....

You mean you've got to be a teenager without ever eating a meat pie?
I'll bet you've never had Bovril or Marmite on toast either.
Or a grilled stoat and hedgehog baguette? (OK, I made that one up).

Boghog wrote:I read a Dr. Who book once that had a claim that civilization was a result of wine.

I gather for most of our history drinking wine or beer (or even tea) was a lot safer than drinking the water neat. Certainly it's something I try and avoid, just in case.
beagle
Brewmeister

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:05 am

Huh... Grandma made meat pies (usually turkey) on a regular basis here. Ever had a perogy, Q?
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby anthrobabe on Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:44 am

DR. Who is one of the greatest things to come out of Britain!

Marmite--- OMG don't open it - OH please don't open it,

grilled stoat and hedgehog baguette-- now that sounds like good old fashioned southern USA comfort food.
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Next

Return to Food