CURRENT Television

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: CURRENT Television

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Big Body Squad which some unkind person suggested I watch. I could do with losing some weight after all this sitting about but I look like an anorexic compared to these people, one of them is over 54 stone :shocked:

How do you not reach a point when you say 'Ok, I can't walk any more, maybe I should cut down on the food a bit now'? :confused:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:08 pm

Actually, you qualify as an anorexic, because when you look in the mirror you see a fat bloke staring back at you :moon:

Problem eating is closely related to problem drinking, drug-taking, gambling, and all the rest of it. You arrive there incrementally, overdoing it a bit, hating yourself for doing it but enjoying the outcome, the pleasure starts to outweigh the self-disgust, you ratchet it up another level, da capo...

I know a guy who is in a bizarre feeder - fat bloke relationship, he is over 40 stone, and his life is brilliant: he gets on well at work, his relationship with his partner is great, he has a good social life (although he doesn't dance much), and he is a valued customer in many Glasgow restaurants. Apart from the fact that he could be wearing odd shoes all day and never know it, he gets on with life. His take on it is "If I can't reach to wipe my own arse, it's gone too far. Until then, it hasn't".

I wonder where he will be in ten years' time, though? Bed-ridden? Dead? In the gym? Who knows?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:15 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Actually, you qualify as an anorexic, because when you look in the mirror you see a fat bloke staring back at you :moon:

Actually these days I mostly see some scruffy homeless bloke staring back at me but that's just the not needing to shave or get a haircut while I'm not at work :haha: I take your point though :moon:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby black bart on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:06 am

What was the conclusion of the exercise programme anyway...have I got the balance about right?

15 minutes in the gym
30 minutes in the Spa
40 minutes in the bar
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:11 am

black bart wrote:What was the conclusion of the exercise programme anyway...have I got the balance about right?

15 minutes in the gym
30 minutes in the Spa
40 minutes in the bar

No :moon: As I remember the basic conclusion was to spend the day doing as much low level activity as possible along with about 3 minutes of high intensity exercise a few times a week.

Low level activity is stuff like standing up rather than sitting down, walking rather than driving, using stairs instead of lifts/escalators etc.

daftbeaker

Postby black bart on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:24 am

daftbeaker wrote:
black bart wrote:What was the conclusion of the exercise programme anyway...have I got the balance about right?

15 minutes in the gym
30 minutes in the Spa
40 minutes in the bar

No :moon: As I remember the basic conclusion was to spend the day doing as much low level activity as possible along with about 3 minutes of high intensity exercise a few times a week.

Low level activity is stuff like standing up rather than sitting down, walking rather than driving, using stairs instead of lifts/escalators etc.

Brilliant...I can do all of that stuff in the bar...

...as for the 3 minutes of high intense exercise a few times a week... :lech:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:18 am

black bart wrote:...as for the 3 minutes of high intense exercise a few times a week... :lech:

I don't think watching a ladies aerobics class counts :idiot:

daftbeaker

Postby PKMKII on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:03 am

Watching season one of Boardwalk Empire. It's a good series to watch if you want to understand why Bacon doesn't trust New Jersey politicians.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:04 pm

PKMKII wrote:Watching season one of Boardwalk Empire. It's a good series to watch if you want to understand why Bacon doesn't trust New Jersey politicians.

I pretty much don't trust most politicians, so I have no problem understanding Bacon's trust issues. :haha: Saying that, i've heard that it's a pretty good series. Must get that soon.

I recently watched Edderkoppen, a Danish TV series of 6 episodes. It's set in 1949-50 in Copenhagen, and follows an investigative reporter and his uncovering of the depths of the criminal underworld. It is really good, and has three of the actors from Forbrydelsen in it (the mayor, the opposition leader, and Mr Larssen). They're in a kind of role-reversal in this, so at first it was weird to watch, but by the time the first episode was over, that feeling had passed. It comes highly recommended.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby bacon on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:19 pm

PKMKII wrote:Watching season one of Boardwalk Empire. It's a good series to watch if you want to understand why Bacon doesn't trust any politician.

FTFY

I was interested in watching Boardwalk Empire, glad to hear that it is getting a thumbs up for you. Perhaps I shall try it.

I'm so upset that no one on here watches Walking Dead! The season finale is next week and last night's episode was a doozy!

Sis! Come back and talk with me about this!
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby black bart on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:26 pm

bacon wrote:
PKMKII wrote:Watching season one of Boardwalk Empire. It's a good series to watch if you want to understand why Bacon doesn't trust any politician.

FTFY

I was interested in watching Boardwalk Empire, glad to hear that it is getting a thumbs up for you. Perhaps I shall try it.

I'm so upset that no one on here watches Walking Dead! The season finale is next week and last night's episode was a doozy!

I love 'walking dead', at least I saw the first series. I believe we're getting series 2 soon.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby bacon on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:22 pm

black bart wrote:
bacon wrote:

FTFY

I love 'walking dead', at least I saw the first series. I believe we're getting series 2 soon.

There were a few slow episodes, but it's worth it for how things have picked up and now . . . oooooo . . . wish I could tell you what happened last episode . . .
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby TwistedSister on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:42 pm

Yep, it sure is getting interesting........can't wait to see what happens on Sunday. :lurk:
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:39 pm

I watched the first season of The Walking Dead avidly, and will be watching the second when it comes over here. It's pretty much the only decent thing on Channel 5. :haha:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:39 am

Six Nations.

It will only take Wales to lose to the French and England to get a 38 points difference for us to win. Why do I suspect Wales are getting the Grand Slam? :idiot:

Edit - I've just realised, for England to win I have to want the French to win :confused: :paranoid:

daftbeaker

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors