The Dark Knight

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Dark Knight

Postby fueledbycoffee on Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:30 pm

I had that same reaction. Granted, I'm not an Avengers fanboy, or really into Marvel that much (I like a lot of their stuff, like Runaways, which is my current obsession, but I was raised on DC) but just the thought of a good live-action Avengers is enough to send me into hysterics.

However, the one movie that's going to be most interesting is the one nobody expected: Ant-Man. Nobody would think of ol' Hank Pym ever getting first billing in the movies, being eternally a side-character in the Marvel Universe, but what do you know?

Personally though, now that they've announce Runaways the movie, the only things I could really ask for from Marvel are a good Cable & Deadpool movie, and maybe Marvel 1602.

*is in total fan heaven right now.*
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:49 pm

The movie didn't quite live up to all the hype, IMO.

The Joker wasn't nearly as cool as he was made out to be, but he was still pretty good.

Batman needs some cough syrup.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Wawizzle on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:38 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:The Joker wasn't nearly as cool as he was made out to be, but he was still pretty good.

Lies!!!
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:35 am

Wawizzle wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:The Joker wasn't nearly as cool as he was made out to be, but he was still pretty good.

Lies!!!

Double lies!!!
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Moral Minority on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:25 am

Truth!

The Joker was perceived as good because Heath Ledger is DEAD!

People always sympathise with dead guys, and frankly, I am sick of it.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:53 pm

I mean, don't get me wrong, I was genuinely amused and freaked out by the Joker, but he wasn't as OMGWTFBBQ AWESOME LOL! as he was made out to be.
--Zankou II

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:09 pm

Moral Minority wrote:Truth!

I didn't like it because of that. I don't care about ol' Heath, to be perfectly honest.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Wawizzle on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:02 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:
Moral Minority wrote:Truth!

I didn't like it because of that. I don't care about ol' Heath, to be perfectly honest.

Exactly. I spent the whole Pre-dark knight stages saying "oh they're just going to say Heath did a good job because he's dead" bla bla bla.

Then I fucking saw the movie and was blown away.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.
Wawizzle
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Rainswept on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:17 am

Moral Minority wrote:

Truth!

Horseshit. I think you guys just don't have the same history of Batman as others of us do. I've been waiting for someone to do Joker right since the 1989 movie turned me into a real Batman fan.

Your expectations were for something impossible because you waited to see the movie until the hype was insane (and believe me it doesn't get more insane than 400 million in 18 days) The Joker would've had to walk out of the screen and kill the people sitting to either side of you to live up to the hype around the role at this point.

He disappeared into that role. There were so many awesome little subtle bits, body language etc. That happy little dance as he walks away from the exploding hospital, the tone of his voice when he says he just wants his phone call... and let me point out it certainly wasn't all Heath, that was dead on directing and writing for the part. The only other movie with that level of bad-ass villain was Silence of the Lambs.

The rest of the movie was decent, if a bit too cheesy on some of the action (the motorcycle running up a wall into a wheelie and then spinning around) I had a really hard time imagining how good the story would be without the crutch of it being the origin story, and in that area the movie excelled way beyond what I expected.

The writer does a great job of picking a theme and sticking to it. The theme in Batman Begins was fear, and the theme in The Dark Knight is terrorism, and that's what those movies were about.

I want to see Batman as more of a detective and less of a superhero in the 3rd one tho. A mystery is what's called for IMO.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:49 am

I concur.
--Zankou II

--Pope John Paul II

-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:26 am

I, too, concur.

Rainswept wrote:I want to see Batman as more of a detective and less of a superhero in the 3rd one tho. A mystery is what's called for IMO.

Oh? A detective, eh? I suppose I could give him some lessons...

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Moral Minority on Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:41 am

Rainswept wrote:
Moral Minority wrote:

Truth!

Horseshit. I think you guys just don't have the same history of Batman as others of us do. I've been waiting for someone to do Joker right since the 1989 movie turned me into a real Batman fan.

Your expectations were for something impossible because you waited to see the movie until the hype was insane (and believe me it doesn't get more insane than 400 million in 18 days) The Joker would've had to walk out of the screen and kill the people sitting to either side of you to live up to the hype around the role at this point.

I did not expect awesomness. I have learned not to expect anything better than your average Die Hard from any movie that has mainstream appeal. I expected mediocrity. I got crap.

If anything, Heath Ledger did a good performance, as did Gary Oldman, but two good actors a good movie do not make.

And don't even get me started on Batman.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby tinytim on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:31 am

Rainswept wrote:I want to see Batman as more of a detective and less of a superhero in the 3rd one tho. A mystery is what's called for IMO.

My take on the ending that in the third one Batman will be the perceived villian and there will be some gung-ho new politician/policeman that will bring in another "super"hero to try and take down Batman. There will be another villian that in the end is taken down by both possibly or just by Batman and will have him reemerge as a hero to Gotham.
"Beer is constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

"I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology." - Thomas Jefferson

"I am a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four." -Joel Rosenberg

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise there wouldn't be religious people." - House
tinytim
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:38 pm

Moral Minority wrote:I did not expect awesomness. I have learned not to expect anything better than your average Die Hard from any movie that has mainstream appeal. I expected mediocrity. I got crap.

If anything, Heath Ledger did a good performance, as did Gary Oldman, but two good actors a good movie do not make.

And don't even get me started on Batman.

Lol, go castrate yourself.

That's your honest critique?

Well, RT gave it a 95%, so I think I'll go with my initial reaction.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image
~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby Valanthe on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:51 am

Personally, I think TDK kicked serious butt! It is the best superhero movie that Warner Bros. has released in recent years. Now here's where I prove how disturbed I really am: I felt kinda sorry for ol' Harv. Think about it: the guy has everything, and then it's taken away, bit by bit. Undermined by people who were supposed to be on his side and then betrayed him. I think I'd go a little nuts, too.

Slightly OT, but our theater had the Watchmen teaser, and it looks awesome!
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors