Worst book ever written..

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Worst book ever written..

Postby Capellini on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:08 pm

Zankou 2.0 wrote:
Capellini wrote:Catcher in the Rye

Sorry, just found it boring as all hell.

That was a good book!

After I read it, I was at the park, and I saw "fuck you" written on the swings. I almost shit a brick.

Maybe it's a Y chromosome thing, but I just couldn't stand it.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:09 pm

Capellini wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:

That was a good book!

After I read it, I was at the park, and I saw "fuck you" written on the swings. I almost shit a brick.

Well, I can sort of identify with Holden.
It wasn't a very interesting book, but it's hardly the worst.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby aidiore on Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Capellini wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:

That was a good book!

are you sure that you dont have a Y chromosome???...and im pretty sure that im not talking nonsense here

by the way...i hate all that kant represents...but Critique of Pure Reason was a good book...i dont agree with anything in it...but it was good
The problem is not the Lack of tolerance...Is the tolerance with the ignorance
aidiore
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby black bart on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:28 am

I don't like 'Catcher in the Rye' either and I'd like to add 'War and Peace' because it's a huge book and it fell off the shelf onto my foot.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:27 am

Definitely sounds like it was out to get you. Did you send it to the cabin boy for a good seeing-to?
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby black bart on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:28 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:Definitely sounds like it was out to get you. Did you send it to the cabin boy for a good seeing-to?

No...I used it for ammunition in me next broadside...I think I did that with the 'Art of War' and 'The Lord of the Rings as well', three whopping books in one blast, always takes a few masts down.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Zankou 2.0 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:50 am

aidiore wrote:
Capellini wrote:
Zankou 2.0 wrote:That was a good book!

are you sure that you dont have a Y chromosome???...and im pretty sure that im not talking nonsense here

by the way...i hate all that kant represents...but Critique of Pure Reason was a good book...i dont agree with anything in it...but it was good

She's a girl. Girls have two X chromosomes.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Capellini on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:30 am

aidiore wrote:

Well I've never had a karyotype done, but I'm pretty sure all the lady-parts I've got are pretty convincing evidence.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:34 pm

Let me be thee judge , I motion a poll to vote me as chief female parts inspector ( I will accept a nominal fee .)
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Ubi Dubium on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:39 pm

Atlas Shrugged
I read it, just to know what the fuss was about. Horrible. I nearly hurled it across the room in disgust. (I have a friend who actually did do that.)

My brother-in-law keeps asking my husband, "Have you read Atlas Shrugged?" My husband says "no" and then B-I-L gives us a copy. Which we trash. This has happened three times so far.

Black Bart, I think they'd make good cannon fodder. If he gives us another one, I'll have to send it your way. Careful, don't read it!
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Apostateabe on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:19 pm

I nominate this book:

Now, Are You Ready to Learn Economics? by Lyndon LaRouche. You won't learn a damned thing about economics from reading this book, because it is almost 100% gibberish. I mean, "gibberish," as in a completely disconnected series of points littered with academic jargon that sounds intelligent at first blush, but upon closer examination is devoid of coherence. I keep it on my shelf as an example of what nonsense looks like.

Apostateabe
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby thelastpirate on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:33 pm

Did you copy that from the amazon review, or write the amazon review?
thelastpirate
Lord of Linguini

Location: I hope in no place so unsanctified where such as thou mayst find me.

Postby Apostateabe on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:35 pm

Moral Minority wrote:Mein Kampf
The Bible
Twilight

Mein Kampf has to be the most hated book that hardly anyone has ever read. You know what? I think Mein Kampf is an awesome book. I say that even though I haven't read it. I have a soft heart for what has to be the most banned book in the world.
Apostateabe
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Apostateabe on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:37 pm

thelastpirate wrote:Did you copy that from the amazon review, or write the amazon review?

I copied my post for that Amazon review just now. There needed to be some critical reviews for a book so terrible. The positive reviews come from the LaRouche cult.
Apostateabe
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby WelshRarePasta on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:20 pm

Zomg Lyndon Larouche... that nutbag was once my nextdoor neighbor. He had armed guards in jeeps that would shoot uzis over the heads of little kids (i.e., me and my buds) playing in the woods next to his property for kicks.

On the Catcher in the Rye front, it's not strictly a Y chromosome thing, unless I and all my male friends with taste are somehow gender-traitors. It sucked. And I've never figured out how on earth it became mandatory reading.
"Only a man would think of that."
"It's our job... If you don't think of fifty-foot-high killer golems first, someone else will." Moist von Lipwig

"Are you saying," Brine interrupted, "that the human race was created to irritate Satan?"
"That is correct. Jehovah is infinite in his snottiness."
Brine reflected on this for a moment and regretted that he had not become a criminal at an early age. --Practical Demonkeeping
WelshRarePasta
Fusilli Fuselier

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors