The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby black bart on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:53 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:
black bart wrote:I found a game for ipad/iphone called "Cthulu saves the universe".

Is it a lying game?

To quote Cthulu:

I, Cthulu, do hereby vow to devote my life to becoming a true hero. But only so that I can regain my powers, summon R'lyeh to the surface, and destroy the world, of course.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:09 am

If you have ever resorted to using a game 'Walkthrough' you might enjoy a...
Christopher Walkenthrough
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:46 pm

black bart wrote:If you have ever resorted to using a game 'Walkthrough' you might enjoy a...
Christopher Walkenthrough

Wow. I had no idea Christopher Walken had such good taste in video games. I really want to buy this obviously top quality offering so that I may learn more on this noble sport of wrestling. :haha:

I just started playing Skyrim on the PS3. I've only just made it to the first town outside of the first one, and immediately discovered the danger inherent in picking up and borrowing red label items ( :haha: ), so look forward to many more great discoveries. Such a large world to play in.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:34 am

Skyrim is a massive game...it goes on forever.

I see Borderlands 2 is out.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:27 am

black bart wrote:Skyrim is a massive game...it goes on forever.

I noticed that quite early on. This weekend is going to be a games weekend. Not had one of those in quite a while, so i'm looking forward to it. I would have bought the PC version, just for the availability of mods, but my PC doesn't like my graphics card (yet again!), and the PS3 one was far cheaper (on sale brand new).

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:08 pm

I've been playing the new XCOM game. I never played the originals but I'm really enjoying this one. It is incredibly unforgiving though, I've lost count of the number of times I have to reload a saved game because I wasn't paying attention and in one turn I've lost half my team :facewall:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:20 pm

Played Diablo III, thought it was fun, but the story is just terrible.

Now on to Borderlands 2, which is even more fun, and has quality writing. Well, we'll see how the over-arching storyline is, the original Borderlands was fairly unsatisfying, but at least in terms of the characters, the writing, and the voice acting, I'm quite enjoying the flavor of this game.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby black bart on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:29 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Played Diablo III, thought it was fun, but the story is just terrible.

Now on to Borderlands 2, which is even more fun, and has quality writing. Well, we'll see how the over-arching storyline is, the original Borderlands was fairly unsatisfying, but at least in terms of the characters, the writing, and the voice acting, I'm quite enjoying the flavor of this game.

I got given £40 PC World/Curries vouchers...just about covers 'Borderlands 2' cost. :evilgrin:
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:52 pm

I tried CS:GO. It feels wrong. To be honest, it feels like when they did the last major update for Source and I was in the beta, everything feels wonky and it seems like the hitboxes are off.

Maybe it will improve with a few more updates but at the moment I would definitely prefer to play Source, less pretty but better gameplay.

Edit - I just tried it again, it's weird. You can stand right next to someone and miss them with 50 bullets, then someone from 200 yards away can put a round through your head despite jumping and spinning 180'. Definitely needs a bit of tweaking.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby black bart on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:43 am

Would you believe I couldn't get Borderlands 2 from Currys!

So I got Assassins Creed 3 instead.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:48 am

...and I have 'Doom 3' for the PS3.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:32 pm

I'm playing Far Cry 3. So far it's pretty good. It has the open-ended world exploration feeling from the first one which is good. I like games that basically give you an objective and it's up to you how you achieve it. There's a range of stuff to do, the hang-gliders are fun and it's generally quite immersive.

The bad things? The save system is abysmal. I understand having an autosave function and not letting you save in the middle of a mission but why, in the name of all that's spaghetti-like, can I not save at a point in the wilderness? All I can do is save my current stats and when I load I start back at the spawn point half a mile down the road which means another pointless trek if I fall off a ledge. Speaking of which, the damage system needs a bit of tweaking. I can merrily sit still while people take potshots at me and there's not much of an issue. However, if I drive off a hill and my car catches fire I'm almost certainly dead. I'd have thought taking bullets in the face was more likely to kill someone than getting out of a burning jeep :facepalm: My biggest moan is the skill system though. There's all these interesting looking abilities but I can't use any of them until I 'complete more missions'. I've done almost half of the story, yet 80% of the skills are locked. I'm doing every sidequest and random mission I can find but there's still nothing unlocking.

It's fun, just needs a bit of tweaking to be great. It's a shame because the original FarCry (for the first few levels) was a genuinely amazing game and this had the potential to be that all the way through (eg. not spoiling it where the original did by bringing in the mutated killer monkeys and Doom fat guys with rocket launcher arms that were just stupid). Too much of the Far Cry 2 creeping in. [Insert general rant about dumbing down for stupid console monkeys here] :haha:

daftbeaker

Postby black bart on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:48 am

^I've got Far Cry 2 :facewall:

I've never got round to playing it.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Well, it's been a while, but I achieved my Platinum trophy in Skyrim, went back to Little Big Planet to get the Platinum in that one as well, started playing Borderlands (love what i've seen so far), but decided to Platinum Little Big Planet 2 instead. I still have a way to go in that one, as i've been lured into a free trial of Netflix, but all I have left are most of the online trophies (which will take time), the Ace trophies in single player (3 levels left to Ace), and the 24 hours in Create Mode trophy (which will again take time). I did complete Machinarium in that period, once again gaining all trophies, so all in all, not a bad haul.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:03 am

Roland Deschain wrote:Well, it's been a while, but I achieved my Platinum trophy in Skyrim, went back to Little Big Planet to get the Platinum in that one as well, started playing Borderlands (love what i've seen so far), but decided to Platinum Little Big Planet 2 instead. I still have a way to go in that one, as i've been lured into a free trial of Netflix, but all I have left are most of the online trophies (which will take time), the Ace trophies in single player (3 levels left to Ace), and the 24 hours in Create Mode trophy (which will again take time). I did complete Machinarium in that period, once again gaining all trophies, so all in all, not a bad haul.

Did you get married though (in Skyrim I mean)?
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors