The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:57 pm

Moral Minority wrote:Dude, that shit is fucking scary! Faceless nurses trying to stab you with syringes and such (bonus scare points for me since I am deeply phobic of all things medical). I was shaking like crazy and smoked two packs of cigarettes that night, out of pure fear that faceless nurses would stab me with syringes.

On a lighter note, I just beat Civilisation IV with every victory condition possible on the hardest difficulty. That diplomatic victory sure is elusive.

That's it. I'm tired of having next to no games to play.

I'm gonna go out and buy a few next time I'm at the shops.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:41 am

Another thing: Winter-een-mas is coming up soon! Make sure to crack out your favourite console and game for the entire week! (January 25-31)
http://www.wintereenmas.com/

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Elvalia on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:21 pm

!!!
I would've forgotten! Thanks!
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:24 pm

No problem. I only learnt about it recently. In fact, I'm considering putting my old PS1 controller up on a broomstick to celebrate.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Elvalia on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:26 pm

My brothers told me about it a year or two ago. They're worse than I am; they're attached to WoW.

But I'm going to PAX this year, and they aren't. :D
Elvalia

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:44 am

Elvalia wrote:But I'm going to PAX this year, and they aren't. :D

Damn you! Damn you to hell!
Grr. Grr grr.

I'm going to hide in your suitcase.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Elvalia on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:47 am

Ooh, you're a contortionist? Awesome.

I'll take pictures for you while I'm there. :wink:
Elvalia

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:44 pm

Elvalia wrote:Ooh, you're a contortionist? Awesome.

I'll take pictures for you while I'm there. :wink:

Just make sure you get a photo of Jonathan Coulton... I hear he's going to be there.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby fueledbycoffee on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:09 am

I'd be more interested in PAX if Penny Arcade was a better comic, though I can certainly appreciate what those guys are doing with Child's Play. However, onto Jonathan Coulton: I second the demand for pics.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:18 pm

While Penny Arcade is not my favourite webcomic, it's still up there. Also: It has lots of comics, so I can read it for more than a week without reaching the end. 10 years is a long time to do a webcomic.

I went out and bought a few games. Assassins Creed, Bioshock and the HL2 episode pack. Whoopee!
(I wanted to get Halo 2, but Microsoft tailored that game only for Vista. Not a brilliant move.)

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby fueledbycoffee on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:53 pm

I don't mean to say that Penny Arcade is a horrid comic. It's pretty good, and can amuse me from time to time. It's just formulaic. Gabe does something stupid and video-game-related, and Tycho hates him for it and shows off his vocabulary. Every single episode is like that. On top of it, you have Nirvana-syndrome: Somebody makes something good, or at least decent, and then everyone rips it off, and the quality steadily decreases. So now, you have a million little Penny Arcades running around, and each one's worse than the last. But that's not really their fault.

I bought Diablo II again. We have a long history, me and DII. I play it, get bored, give it to someone, and then want to play it and buy it again.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:33 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:I don't mean to say that Penny Arcade is a horrid comic. It's pretty good, and can amuse me from time to time. It's just formulaic. Gabe does something stupid and video-game-related, and Tycho hates him for it and shows off his vocabulary. Every single episode is like that. On top of it, you have Nirvana-syndrome: Somebody makes something good, or at least decent, and then everyone rips it off, and the quality steadily decreases. So now, you have a million little Penny Arcades running around, and each one's worse than the last. But that's not really their fault.

There are far too many webcomics around. It's next to impossible to try and get a foothold. There's millions of gaming ones, which really annoys me.

But then, I try to only really stick to two gaming-related webcomics. Penny Arcade and Ctrl+Alt+Del. The latter tends to have more of a progressive storyline, but stops when I'm just starting to get into a story arc.

On a related note, I'm taking the HL2 episode pack back. Steam wants me to download a whole bunch of updates so it can work. But my download limit is, well, limited. How rude of Steam.

It's a legitimate copy and I'm still having problems with it! What is wrong with them?

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Elvalia on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:34 pm

You know what? I'm on a dial-up connection, and I don't have the patience to wait for webcomics to load. So, I don't read them at all.

Anyway. I went shopping the other day, without any money. I spent a long time in EB Games, just drooling. I tell you, if I had a PS3... with the right games, I'd be one helluva happy chick.
Elvalia

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:34 am

Elvalia wrote:You know what? I'm on a dial-up connection, and I don't have the patience to wait for webcomics to load. So, I don't read them at all.

Anyway. I went shopping the other day, without any money. I spent a long time in EB Games, just drooling. I tell you, if I had a PS3... with the right games, I'd be one helluva happy chick.

I got a PS3 late last year. I just got to the end of the main story part of Grand Theft Auto IV...not giving anything away but :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yes, a Happy Ending to a fantastic game. I've still got to shoot about 180 pigeons though.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby thelastpirate on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:16 pm

black bart wrote:
Elvalia wrote:You know what? I'm on a dial-up connection, and I don't have the patience to wait for webcomics to load. So, I don't read them at all.

I got a PS3 late last year. I just got to the end of the main story part of Grand Theft Auto IV...not giving anything away but :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yes, a Happy Ending to a fantastic game. I've still got to shoot about 180 pigeons though.

I tried to complete that game but it gets repetitive eventually (gave up after I unlocked all the islands).

I even tried playing it without breaking the law - driving on the right side of the road, waiting at lights, not stealing etc. That didnt last long, especially because the only car you can then use is Roman's taxi and most missions cant be completed.
thelastpirate
Lord of Linguini

Location: I hope in no place so unsanctified where such as thou mayst find me.

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors