Top Ten Books

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Top Ten Books

Postby KMill on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:46 pm

More for my list:

Mathematics and The Imagination - Edward Kasner. (Edward Kasner invented googol).

Never Push When It Says Pull - Guy Browning

:worship: The Underachiever's Manifesto - Ray Bennett. Highly recommended!
Poor Satan. He'll come for my soul, but he'll leave empty handed.
KMill
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Edd wrote:
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:I didn't mind Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. I couldn't help but imagine Sean Connery's voice in my head, though.
That was the book that introduced me to him. FP is faster paced, more complex, and is a great read for conspiracy theorists.
I might have a look into it.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby pieces o'nine on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:03 pm

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:
Edd wrote:
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:I didn't mind Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. I couldn't help but imagine Sean Connery's voice in my head, though.
That was the book that introduced me to him. FP is faster paced, more complex, and is a great read for conspiracy theorists.
I might have a look into it.

I read Foucault's Pendulum first; I liked it very much and in search of others by him found Name of the Rose. Travels in Hyperreality and Misreadings are collections of his musings & essays, both good. Island of the Day Before, though, meh. I started it in 1996 and finally gave up a couple years ago on page 276.

Also on my perennial favorites list, in no particular order:
Poems of Anna Akhmatova
Sheri S. Tepper: Gate to Women's Country
T.S. White: The Once and Future King
John Shelby Spong: Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism
Ira Levin: This Perfect Day
Madeline L'Engle: A Wrinkle in Time
Leonard Shlain: Art & Physics
Red Alan Wolf: The Dreaming Universe
Allan Sherman: The Rape of the A*P*E*
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby black bart on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:23 am

Oh I forgot 'The Once and Future King' that's going in my top ten...even though it's now a top eleven!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Rainswept on Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:40 pm

My list will be pretty skewed towards fantasy since that's what I read the most of, and I'm limiting myself to one book or series per author so as not to have only like 2 authors taking up the list. Some of these like Atlas, are just what I consider exceptional writing that anyone might appreciate, while others like the Belgariad are just dear to my heart because of when/where I first read them.

1. Atlas Shrugged ~ Ayn Rand (u all saw that one coming.)

2. A Song of Ice and Fire ~ George R.R. Martin (best-written fantasy series I've ever read)

3. The Belgariad ~ David Eddings. (read these in 7th grade when I was first in children's homes, reignited my love of reading)

4. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn ~ Mark Twain (my favorite classic)

5. Ender's Game ~ Orson Scott Card (my favorite sci-fi book, the followup's never got to me quite like the original did.)

6. Mistborn Series ~ Brandon Sanderson (second best-written fantasy series I've ever read)

7. Harry Potter Series ~ J.K. Rowling (incredibly popular, but still unappreciated. It's hard not to enjoy these)

8. Wheel of Time ~ Robert Jordan (got me through basic training, soo much downtime to read while waiting in line everywhere)

9. Dresden Files ~ Jim Butcher (Nothing amazing from a literary standpoint, but you just plain like the characters.)

10. Othello ~ William Shakespeare (cause it's a crime to have a list of stories without Shakespeare)

11. Hannibal Lecter Series ~ Thomas Harris (Very well written and scary, and I needed at least 1 more non-fantasy on the list)

Ok so it's 11. I'll stop.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Previous

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors