Future Musical Legends

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Future Musical Legends

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Alright, another music thread. This one's more of an opinion thing rather than "What are you listening to?" or "What bands do you dig?".

Okay, I was talking with my coworker today, and we started wondering if there were any current bands that, fifty, forty, or even thirty years down the road people will remember, that will have influenced entire genres of music. Artists like The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Townes Van Zandt, Merle Haggard, or Huddie Ledbetter, that sort, whose legends have come to match or overshadow their music. So, I was wondering what you guys thought.

I thought and thought, yet I couldn't come up with a damn thing. It doesn't help that I don't listen to too much current music. So, make some suggestions, please. I'd love to hear your opinions.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Re: Future Musical Legends

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:28 pm

I don't think there will be too many big musical legends to come out of this decade. Right now, it appears the most well-known bands are the ones that disappear in a few months. This stupid culture of popular now, popular neverlasting has screwed music over.

But then again, that's just my opinion.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Charlie on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:30 am

Lady Gaga. Definitely Lady Gaga. I mean her/his lyrics are so inspirational.

"Poke her face, poke her, poke her face."
Charlie
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby black bart on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:21 am

Charlie wrote:Lady Gaga. Definitely Lady Gaga. I mean her/his lyrics are so inspirational.

"Poke her face, poke her, poke her face."

I hope that's ironic quippery there...she's not even a proper lady!

I'm still thinking about this one...it's not easy...and to be fair I'm probably from an older generation...er...how are The Who getting on?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:06 am

I don't think there are any artists out there like that now, but I also don't put the blame for that on any collective lack of talent among today's musicians. It's that the way that the music media has fundamentally altered. The artists you've referred to all came about when radio was the primary medium for music, with a small bit of television and print. When everyone is getting their music information from the same basic, few sources, they tend to be listening to mostly the same thing.

Now, you've got radio, satellite radio, network television, cable television, the myriad sources of music on the Internet. This plethora of choices means that the music-listening public are much more fractured and individualistic about their music choices these days. That means you don't get artists anymore that everyone listens to, and ergo are influenced by.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors