The Meeting or spotting the famous game.

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

The Meeting or spotting the famous game.

Postby black bart on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:57 am

Tell us if you meet or see a film star, a rock star or anyone famous. One point per famous persona.

A pal of mine and I always text each other if we see someone famous...inevitably I've never heard of the people he spots and vice-versa.

This morning I recognised a chap who sat opposite me on the train. The name Peter Manion sprang to mind and I knew he was from 'The Thick of it'. Then he phoned someone and said 'Hi it's Roger' and I realised it was none other than Roger Allam from 'The Thick of it' and Krod Muldoon. One point to me.

You get an extra 5 bonus points if you get the person's autograph or photo with star.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: The Meeting or spotting the famous game.

Postby TwistedSister on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:11 am

Let's see, I've met Goofy, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, and Pluto.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby black bart on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:33 am

TwistedSister wrote:Let's see, I've met Goofy, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, and Pluto.

Where's the photograph then?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby TwistedSister on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:44 am

black bart wrote:
TwistedSister wrote:Let's see, I've met Goofy, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, and Pluto.

Where's the photograph then?

In my photo album.
This was over 20 years ago.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:48 am

Ray Winston lives next door to my friend's dad. He came into the shop I used to work in many, many times. He even brought his youngest daughter in soon after she was born, to show us. He was so proud of her, although I feel sorry for him being outnumbered 4:1 in his house by wimmins. :shocked: One time I saw him down the pub, he had Jacko from Brush Strokes (Karl Howman) with him. Someone doing work at his house got to meet Robert Carlyle. I was very jealous at the time.

I saw Richard Attenborough and his wife in their Bentley/Rolls Royce (can't remember which now) next to me on the A406 at the Chiswick roundabout a few years ago.

I met Glenn Hoddle at a charity football match. I was 7/8 and vaguely interested in football, although my interest was severely waning even then.

Gary Stevens used to go to my church. Spoke to him several times.

I met Sally Magnusson when I was on Songs of Praise.

Dermot O'Leary tried to steal my seat in a pub once.

I met Dave, the bass guitarist from Dog Eat Dog, at a Sepultura concert (Max's last UK appearance in the band).

Met Krusher, the well-known rock DJ and Ozzfest/Download festival compere, twice.

EDIT: I got Glenn's, Gary's, Sally's, Dave's and Krusher's autographs, although I only know where Dave's and Krusher's are right now.
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:59 am

You definitely get some points there.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:36 pm

I've got hundreds of musicians, but that would be cheating.

My dad broke his leg during us moving house from London to Glasgow. When he got out of hospital, he wasn't fit to travel, so he went to stay with his manager's neighbour for a few weeks: Mary Whitehouse. I met her when we went to London to pick him up. She was very nice and not at all mad.

I worked for Alex Salmond during the 1992 election campaign. He reads the Racing Post before he reads the political papers in the morning.

I met Tom Conti and Helen Mirren during the making of a movie called Heavenly Pursuits. They are both very nice.

A scene from Tutti Frutti was shot right outside my bedroom window in Glasgow. You can see it in the DVD, Robbie Coltrane and Emma Thompson outside my bedroom window, but I didn't meet them.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:43 pm

I was in a Honda bike dealer when Fabio showed up (guy is really short)
Katie Holmes once got behind me at a Dean and DeLuca. I didn't even notice anything until I saw all the idiots gawking at her outside the windows.
I've seen Tony Sirico around my 'hood.
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roland Deschain on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:07 pm

I think Roy may have won this hands down lol. I also forgot to add the following:-

Norman Wisdom, Alan Titchmarsh and Charlie Dimmock in different years at a trade show at the NEC in Birmingham, and before any of you Groundforce fans ask...no she wasn't. :lech:

I just missed David Bellamy at the same trade show. I was so upset, as I loved watching him on TV when I was younger.
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ubi Dubium on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Hmmm. Alex Trebek, but that was some years ago. We have that one on videotape, but cameras weren't allowed, so no postable photos.

More recently I've quasi-met a bunch singing for the shows at the Capitol, if singing backup for them counts as "meeting". Gary Sinise warned me not to slip on the wet stage one Memorial day. Tony Danza practiced his tap-dancing next to me. But these were all in the context of a show, which probably doesn't count. It's too easy.

Marvin Hamlisch, but again in the context of rehearsing for a show. But I spotted Ted Kennedy backstage with Marvin, so that should count.

Back when Ubi Dubius was in Law School we'd bump into a Supreme Court Justice every so often. Pretty often it was Justice Scalia.

And the other Ubis often run into Newt Gingrich in the audience at Fairfax Band concerts (he has family in the Band).

I'm pretty sure I spotted Cal Ripken Jr at a local coffee shop. Those blue eyes were a dead giveaway.

And the UbiDubiSis sent out a xmas card that was a photo of her with Elmo. Not some fake costumed character, the real Elmo. Hard to beat that one.
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Edd on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:51 pm

I met John Steakley at a Sci-Fi Con in 1987. He isn't hugely famous, but he wrote Armor (which I loved) and Vampire$ (which is okay but the movie sucked). More recently, I've seen Sherman Hemsly and Paul Sorvino on the Riverwalk here in San Antonio.
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Ubi Dubius on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:09 pm

I went to university with Jon Stewart and with Michael Powell (former Chairman of the FCC, son of the former Secretary of State and General).

When I was a teenager, I saw every President during those years - Nixon, Ford, and Carter. My mother-in-law had tea with Ford once when he was still a Congressman.

In addition to Scalia, I've met Justice O'Connor, Justice Souter, and Chief Justice Berger.

Pres. Clinton visited my game store once, on my day off. Of course, I didn't find out he was there until later.

I'll keep my eyes open for new ones.
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:26 pm

My grandmother was a speech coach, and helped James Earl Jones get over his stutter, so he and my mom are friends, so we went to meet him backstage when he did On Golden Pond at the Kennedy Center a while back.

She (grandmother) was also in Forrest Gump. Old Southern Lady, the last person on the bench.

Charles Barkley laughed at me when I was very little. I was messily eating corn dogs and French Fries and ketchup everywhere, and my dad didn't realize who he was until he walked away and got mobbed.

One time me and my sister rode Roger Rabbits Wild Ride and we were abducted by 7 foot tall rodents for the ride.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:Pres. Clinton visited my game store once, on my day off. Of course, I didn't find out he was there until later.
My mum was a UN observer in the 1992 presidential election. She met both Clinton and Bush. She said Bush was a self-important boor, but Clinton complimented her on her accent and asked how she was enjoying America and so on. When she saw Primary Colors a few years later, she burst out laughing at the seduction bits, saying "That's him! That's Clinton!"
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby bacon on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:31 pm

I saw and had the opportunity to speak with Steve Buscemi - I didn't speak to him though - too shy.
Met Jim Gaffigan 3 times, Penn and Teller (once), and that's all I can really think of right now. There is someone else, but I can't remember who it is, but I remember going to something in college and later on was amazed at who it was that was speaking. Probably a science nerd of some sort.
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Next

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors