What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby black bart » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:53 am

Roy Hunter wrote:All the Iain M Banks Culture novels. In no particular order.

I have read "Look to Windward"...fantastic but the two assassinations near the end of the book traumatised me.

Interesting interview with Neil Gaiman in the paper this morning (he's launching his new novel)...in which he mentioned Iain Banks and noted that people often said that he 'also wrote science fiction'...whereas Banks always thought his science fiction was his most important work.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:06 am

Iain Banks wrote a fantastic book about whisky called Raw Spirit - it is a guide to individual whiskies, whisky in general, stories about being drunk on whisky, but also quite autobiographical.

He discussed the bit in his career where he introduced the 'M' into the middle of his name, because his sci-fi (or skiffy as he referred to it) fans wanted more sci-fi, but the non-sci-fi fans wanted him to ditch it and just write normal books, for FSM sake. Walking on Glass is probably the book that most obviously has a foot in both camps.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:08 am

Now I don't know whether to read The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole (builder of the gorgeous 'Strawberry Hill House' which is about a mile away from me and creator of 'Strawberry Hill Gothic') or read another I A Banks.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:08 pm

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. I started by disliking it, then after a few pages I got hooked. A most unusual narrative style, conveying great events in a stream of small details. Also, here Thomas Cromwell is a decent bloke, which is different.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:51 am

DavidH wrote:Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. I started by disliking it, then after a few pages I got hooked. A most unusual narrative style, conveying great events in a stream of small details. Also, here Thomas Cromwell is a decent bloke, which is different.

I might have a go at reading that...by modern accounts Thomas Cromwell was indeed a half decent chap who rose to the top from humble beginnings.

Julius Aurora II
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Julius Aurora II » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:24 am

Bought Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman today. Looking forward to reading it. Just finished Pratchett's Thief of Time, one of my favorites by that dear genius.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Getting the Buggers to Behave by Sue Cowley. Some blindingly obvious bits, some rather good ideas and a lot of little tweaks that might have a big cumulative impact. I really don't want to open Learning to Teach in a Secondary School by Capel, Leask and Turner, it looks rather dull.

Julius Aurora II wrote:Bought Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman today. Looking forward to reading it. Just finished Pratchett's Thief of Time, one of my favorites by that dear genius.

I wasn't that keen on Neverwhere, I never really got into it. It felt a bit like someone had taken a Robert Rankin book and tried to make it serious.

American Gods, on the other hand, is absolutely brilliant.
Don't let the mechanics of beer trick you into thinking you are some kind of warrior, eating barbed wire on the wave of violent disorder. Three words: cage, wheel, hamster - Jason Williamson

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:27 pm

A collection of poems by a certain Arab.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:54 am

daftbeaker wrote:Getting the Buggers to Behave by Sue Cowley. Some blindingly obvious bits, some rather good ideas and a lot of little tweaks that might have a big cumulative impact. I really don't want to open Learning to Teach in a Secondary School by Capel, Leask and Turner, it looks rather dull.

Julius Aurora II wrote:Bought Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman today. Looking forward to reading it. Just finished Pratchett's Thief of Time, one of my favorites by that dear genius.

I wasn't that keen on Neverwhere, I never really got into it. It felt a bit like someone had taken a Robert Rankin book and tried to make it serious.

I thought American gods was brilliant but I thought Neverwhere was better...I think it's the London Underground theme which I liked.

Julius Aurora II
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Julius Aurora II » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:17 pm

black bart wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:Getting the Buggers to Behave by Sue Cowley. Some blindingly obvious bits, some rather good ideas and a lot of little tweaks that might have a big cumulative impact. I really don't want to open Learning to Teach in a Secondary School by Capel, Leask and Turner, it looks rather dull.

I thought American gods was brilliant but I thought Neverwhere was better...I think it's the London Underground theme which I liked.

I don't know about better than American Gods, but i definitely enjoyed it. Nothing wrong with similarities to Robert Rankin either.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Just finished Words of Radiance, Brandon Sanderson. Loved it.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:05 pm

pieces o'nine wrote:I'll let him speak for himself, if he cares to. :haha:

Sorry I didn't catch this exchange. You are sorely missed, PON.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:58 pm

Strange but true, I've just finished reading To Kill A Mockingbird for the first time. I found it much more entertaining than I expected it to be, albeit highly predictable.

Now jumping into a re-reading of Dan Simmons' Hyperion quadrology.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:29 pm

The Shepherd's Crown. I almost don't want to start it, knowing that after this there will never be another Discworld book where I don't already know the plot.

Plus, having read the back cover and half a page I randomly flicked to, I think I already know a major plot point. If I'm right it will almost be Pratchett acknowledging he wasn't going to write any more books (spoiler)I think Granny Weatherwax dies during the book(/spoiler)
Don't let the mechanics of beer trick you into thinking you are some kind of warrior, eating barbed wire on the wave of violent disorder. Three words: cage, wheel, hamster - Jason Williamson

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:19 pm

Well, I finished it. I don't know if knowing it was the final Discworld book affected things but I did cry a bit several times during it. Plus my guess about the spoiler was correct :bummer: Given Terry's enormous output over the years I feel this was a good way to say goodbye, the themes in the book definitely cover that area.

I think the afterword was the single most depressing thing I've read dealing with fiction:
The Shepherd's Crown wrote:We will now not know how the old folk of Twilight Canyons solve the mystery of a missing treasure and defeat the rise of a Dark Lord despite their failing memories, nor the secret of the crystal cave and the carnivorous plants in The Dark Incontinent, nor how Constable Feeney solves a whodunnit amongst the congenitally decent and honest goblins, nor how the second book about the redoubtable Maurice as a ship's cat might have turned out. And these are just a few of the ideas his office and family know about.

Personally, in my own selfish way, I will always curse the universe for denying me the Moist von Lipwig novel where he is put in charge of the tax system.

The Daily Mash wrote:DEATH has been told it is not allowed to take Sir Terry Pratchett until an investigation is held.

Following the passing of the author, the final ferryman has been suspended and will be held to account by an independent body before making any further decisions that are patently wrong.

Deathologist Roy Hobbs said: “Any rational person would agree that only after the publication of another 30 Discworld books, at least two of them starring Rincewind, would it have been correct for Terry to die.

“And for this to happen only two years after the death of Iain M Banks, leaving a number of massive Culture novels unwritten, smacks of incompetence.

“At this point the Grim Reaper looks less like an implacable, unanswerable end and more like a haphazard dick on roller skates swinging his scythe about like a fat kid at a piñata.”

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”