What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby DavidH on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:37 am

A history by Max Hastings, called Das Reich. It's the story of how the Panzer division of that name was moved from central France to the Normandy beaches immediately after D-Day and was delayed for two weeks by the Resistance. It really brings it home that without the sabotage by the resistance, we might have been driven off those beaches back into the sea.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby black bart on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:
black bart wrote:I'm loving the Salman Rushdie book...it's a cross between The Arabian Nights and The Mighty Boosh.

You should read his The Satanic Verses. It's wonderfully sacriliceous.

I'd be afraid of reading it on the train into London in case I get a Fatwa on my arse bro.

Also it reminds me of a group of girls we used to call The Satanic Nurses.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:59 pm

black bart wrote:Also it reminds me of a group of girls we used to call The Satanic Nurses.

I think I watched a film about that once. It was very notty...:lech:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby gronank on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:54 pm

gronank wrote:Waterloo, about to get very gory. I get to follow all the diffrent commanders and their units as they walk around belgum on a map.

I finished the book after a long hold. I blame the french loss on Soult and his inability to write orders and general incompetence at being chief of staff, Napoleon for giving bad orders to Grouchy after the battle of Ligny and giving troops to Ney he wasn't allowed to use and finally Ney for only being able to be either super passive or suiciding with cavalry.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby black bart on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:31 am

gronank wrote:
gronank wrote:Waterloo, about to get very gory. I get to follow all the diffrent commanders and their units as they walk around belgum on a map.

I finished the book after a long hold. I blame the french loss on Soult and his inability to write orders and general incompetence at being chief of staff, Napoleon for giving bad orders to Grouchy after the battle of Ligny and giving troops to Ney he wasn't allowed to use and finally Ney for only being able to be either super passive or suiciding with cavalry.

Aren't you giving Wellington, The Scotts Greys, The Kings German Legion and The Prussians led by the 70 year old Prince Blucher any credit?

What a great battle though...I always imagine Napoleon coming back to the battlefield after a bout of illness and finding that Ney had lost the entire cavalry:

The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby gronank on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:14 am

black bart wrote:Aren't you giving Wellington, The Scotts Greys, The Kings German Legion and The Prussians led by the 70 year old Prince Blucher any credit?

Well, the anglo-allies as a whole made a lot fewer blunders. Yes, Wellington kept a large proportion of his forces guarding a flank that was never approached even after it was abundantly clear where the french was heading and the Prussians was missing a corps because of internal rivalry. But Wellington was worried about his supply lines and Bülows corps was useful later.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Roland Deschain on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:23 pm

Waterloo is a fascinating battle, as is the whole campaign by and against Napoleon. Aren't you glad the Nazis didn't learn by his mistakes in relation to the whole "war on two fronts" and "invading Moscow" plans. I'd recommend visiting Waterloo, and the Butte du Lion just down the road, if you want to see a part of history that shaped Europe dramatically.

I also loved Sharpe, the books and the TV films (I have them all on DVD), as they brought the whole thing to life. Albeit in a fictional way.

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:34 am

I also have a fascinating book which is the diary of a young French Cavalry Officer who follows Napoleon through the horrors of the Peninsula war and Austria and sadly ended up dying after the retreat from Moscow...he survived the actual retreat but only lasted a few weeks after it.

I have finished my Salman Rushdie novel which was excellent and I have moved onto 'The Man Who would Be King' by Rudyard Kipling.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:39 am

^ The Man Who Would Be King is great. You'll like it. I'm currently reading Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes. If anyone else here has read it, do you get the impression that Don Quixote was the very first LARPer? He's absolutely nuts, and really like the character.

Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:00 am

Roland Deschain wrote:^ The Man Who Would Be King is great. You'll like it. I'm currently reading Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes. If anyone else here has read it, do you get the impression that Don Quixote was the very first LARPer? He's absolutely nuts, and really like the character.

What's a LARPer?

I have read Don Quixote and I thought it was amazing...I also did an illustration of Don Quixote when I was young and I based him on Buster Keaton for some reason.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:29 am

black bart wrote:What's a LARPer?
Live Action Role Player
black bart wrote:I have read Don Quixote and I thought it was amazing...I also did an illustration of Don Quixote when I was young and I based him on Buster Keaton for some reason.
We drove around La Mancha earlier this year, talked a lot about Don Quixote and the abortive Terry Gilliam movie of it (there is a documentary called Lost In La Mancha about it). The landscape is just amazing, but it is seriously hot, so you can imagine why Don Quixote went a bit and and saw dragons instead of windmills. Quixote did not have A/C on his donkey to help keep him sane...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:04 am

Robert Louis Stevenson fared a lot better with his Donkey...even with the Beast of Gevaudin to contend with.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby pieces o'nine on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Bart! You know better than to encourage anyone here to covet his neighbor's ass.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens
pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby black bart on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:27 am

pieces o'nine wrote:Bart! You know better than to encourage anyone here to covet his neighbor's ass.

:lol:

My daughter was researching the Ten Commandments (for school RE I imagine) so I told her the 'Thou shalt not covert thy neighbour's ass one.'

it's the only one I can remember but sadly I have never had a neighbour with a nice enough ass to tempt me astray.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Arkaeon on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:34 am

When I was learning spanish, I read the original "Don Quixote." Most of it is lost in memory haze, but I do remember that it was wonderful. I've been tempted to go back and reread it after many years of experience with various spanish cultural affectations to see what new insights it might hold, but...

In an unmitigated act of vanity, I'm re-reading my own book, Waves of Life, instead, partly to glean inspiration for parts of the sequel, mostly for enjoyment. I posted the first section of Waves of Life to the "MIghty SPAM WAR" thread, pages 278-279, to see if I could trick anyone else into reading it. Personally, I like it, but I wrote it to be the kind of thing I like, so there.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors