What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:53 pm

The Internet is a Playground. Some of you will remember the stupidly funny Jesus and the sword fight email exchange Tig posted a while ago. My cousin lent me this book which is a collection of silly things by the same bloke. In it's best parts it's similar to Tom Sharpe, that feeling that the situation cannot possibly get any more absurd and then it does. It's well worth a read if you like immature humour :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby PKMKII on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:13 pm

Currently reading REAMDE by Neal Stephenson.

Some interesting ideas about MMO's (designing them around gold sellers instead of against them, having the geology and landscaped based on actual geoscience, having the gold itself work off a real-world precious metal supply-and-demand principle, as opposed to a fiat system determined by the programmers). However, I don't think I've gotten to the "Big Idea" of the book yet.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:08 pm

Dave Grohl: Foo Fighters, Nirvana & other misadventures by Martin James. Very heavy on the punk ethos (I use the word punk in the US late '80s sense rather than the UK late '70s sense), but a pretty comprehensive history of a notoriously hyperactive workaholic. It walks the fine line between chest-thumping punk integrity and commercial selling-out (which Foo Fighters obviously did. Or didn't. Hell, you decide. Maybe it was Nirvana? I don't know...).
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:03 am

I am reading Stasiland by Anna Funder.

Apparently there were plans to invade West Berlin in 1985!!!!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:20 am

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, by Hakuri Murakami. I bought this for Mrs. H's Monkey to see if she liked the author, prior to getting her the rather epic 1Q84 parts 1, 2 and 3 for her birthday next week. It is pretty far out stuff, but very well written and translated. It's not a crime thriller, although there are crimes in it; it's not a horror book, although there are horrific bits in it; it's not fantasy / sci-fi, although there are fantastic and skiffy-esque bits in it; it is not a notty book or a romance, although it has both nottiness and romance in it. It is kind-of genre-defying. I don't know what to call it, but I like it.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Arkaeon on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:54 pm

Apparently, I'm reading this forum, eh?!

Bloody great distraction, you lot. I could be reviewing Nicomachean Ethics or learning more german or memorizing the names of all the geological periods in order, or... or... oh, hang on a sec...

Thanks folks!
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai
Arkaeon
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Rainswept on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Mistborn: Alloy of Law. IMO Brandon Sanderson is currently putting forth more good books than nearly any 3 authors. Everything I've read by him so far has kept me entertained, some of it very good, and he just keeps churning them out one after another.

If George Martin and Patrick Rothfuss had Sanderson's work-ethic and speed, I'd start looking around for the beer volcanoes.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby black bart on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:13 am

Arkaeon wrote:Apparently, I'm reading this forum, eh?!

Bloody great distraction, you lot. I could be reviewing Nicomachean Ethics or learning more german or memorizing the names of all the geological periods in order, or... or... oh, hang on a sec...

Thanks folks!

It is distracting but somehow I believe Rainswept managed to get a degree done whilst still being a moderator! I have managed to continue learning French and I have definitely become a better pirate.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby muunleit on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:29 am

Roland Deschain wrote:... I'm currently reading Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes. If anyone else here has read it, do you get the impression that Don Quixote was the very first LARPer? He's absolutely nuts, and really like the character.

Thank you for mentioning this book. I'm currently reading it and it's a lot of fun. :haha:
muunleit
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby black bart on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:57 am

Don Quixote is one of the greatest novels of all time. I think I've said that before.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby tris on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:00 pm

black bart wrote:Don Quixote is one of the greatest novels of all time. I think I've said that before.
I guess it's true, but I never managed to finish it! It's so repetitive!
Arkaeon wrote: I could be reviewing Nicomachean Ethics...
what they hell are they (when they're at home)?
PS I love your self-quotation "The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." It applies so much to the Italian mentality... I must remember to use it as a reposte the next time they try to complicate things in this god-forsaken land of chaos and criticise my no-nonsense british attitude! But I would simplify it even further, thus: "La verità è semplice... la bugia è complicazione"! ("The truth is simple... the lie is complicated.")
But perhaps it would be more accurate to say that "Truth leads to simplicity... lies lead to complication."
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L
tris
Lord of Linguini

Postby tris on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:40 pm

daftbeaker wrote: Some of you will remember the stupidly funny Jesus and the sword fight email exchange Tig posted a while ago.
Jesus H Christ that link of Tigsie's (http://27bslash6.com/easter.html )is fucking hilarious! I've been missing out on some good stuff during my absence!
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L
tris
Lord of Linguini

Postby black bart on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:11 am

tris wrote:
daftbeaker wrote: Some of you will remember the stupidly funny Jesus and the sword fight email exchange Tig posted a while ago.
Jesus H Christ that link of Tigsie's (http://27bslash6.com/easter.html )is fucking hilarious! I've been missing out on some good stuff during my absence!

I can't remember reading that, thanks for reminding me, it's hilarious.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roland Deschain on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 am

^ I'd forgotten about that. It made me laugh as much this time as it did last time. :haha:

I'm currently reading Thérèse Raquin by Émile Zola. It's a great book, and one I can get into quite easily. My reading has slowed down somewhat of late, so i'm not dipping into it every day, but i'm slowly getting there. I'm just too tired when I get the free time these days :shrug:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed
Roland Deschain
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:34 am

Just started reading a book that David H's wife lent me: "The House by the Thames (and the people who lived there)". 450 years of history from the perspective of this old house. I know the house quite well from it's facade as it's in one of my favourite spots in London, just down the river from the Globe Theatre.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors