Great Adaptations - Book To Films

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Postby mia primavera on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:57 am

definitely Kubrick's 2001.
A Scanner Darkly
Jane Eyre (Zeffirelli's version, with Charlotte Gainsbourg and William Hurt.)
Strayed (French film, directed by Andre Techine, based on Gilles Perrault's book The Boy With the Grey Eyes
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
--Mark Twain
mia primavera
Ziti Zealot

Postby The Black Spot on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:49 pm

What about the John Hurt / Richard Burton version of 1984?

OK, some themes from the book were glossed over to keep the running time down, but the utter bleakness and hopelessness of the novel came over perfectly.
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Postby Swatopluk on Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:00 pm

I hate it that the BBC dropped their planned DVD edition of the original 1984 TV play (life) with Peter Cushing as Winston Smith (and Donald Pleasance as O'Brian, if I remember correctly).
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose
Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby ChowMein on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:43 pm

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursurla K. Le Guin (sp) . The BBC production pretty much covered every word in what i consider a sci-fi masterpiece. Also the BBc/A&E production of Pride of and Predudice(sp) is superb ( I am unashamed to reveal that i loved a "chick flick" being secure with my masculinity).
ChowMein
Humble Hermit

Postby The Black Spot on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:58 pm

Swatopluk wrote:I hate it that the BBC dropped their planned DVD edition of the original 1984 TV play (life) with Peter Cushing as Winston Smith (and Donald Pleasance as O'Brian, if I remember correctly).

I saw this a year or so ago (a repeat on BBC3). The sets weren't great (it was more like a stageplay than anything else) but Cushing was perfect as Smith - just as I always imagined the character.

Here's a lowbrow one -- John Carpenter's "The Thing" was teriffic. A great adaptation of Campbell's "Who Goes There?"
The Black Spot
Stripmeister

Great

Postby black bart on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:21 am

The Thing was on TV the other night...brilliant. I also like the Black and White version.

Great Expectations - The David Lean version of 1946

(The only thing that bothers me about it is I forgot who played Miss Haversham in a pub quiz!!! It wasn't Jean Simmons she was Estella and Miss Havisham was played by Martita Hunt.)
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Tiffy-o on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:39 pm

beagle wrote: Rebecca

Grand movie.
The Hitchcock version, right? I know there was another version, haven't seen it though.
Lady of the Words of Power
Tiffy-o
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Duke on Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:08 pm

Oooh... Let me see. I liked The Shining, Catch 22, and All The King's Men, of course. :mrgreen:

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Jean Bart on Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:04 pm

"The man who would be king"
Saw the movie first, a couple of times, then read the novel. Heard the voices of the actors while reading, saw the backgrounds (filmed on location in the Atlas mountains in Morocco, I think)
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Season 2, Episode 2)
"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'eau de là" (Francis Blanche)
"Nu zijn er wel die mij niet mogen, of onverschillig langs mij gaan. Met liefde en met mededogen zie ik die vuile schoften aan! (Drs. P in "Jubelzang")
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens." (phrase attribuée à Arnaud Amaury, légat du Pape, à l'occasion de la prise de Béziers en 1209)
Jean Bart
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Kra on Mon May 28, 2007 10:46 am

The ones that would be my favourites are already up there, but what about "Trainspotting"?
I read the book by Irvine Welsch, and it was written in a scottish accent..very, very odd and made the book a little hard to get into..but once u get used to it its very cool, quite funny..great book :mrgreen:
Kra
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby farfalla on Tue May 29, 2007 3:04 pm

The Natural, despite the change in ending

The cartoon The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby Freakingout on Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:05 pm

Does the Spider-Man trilogy count?

Im kidding
Freakingout
Ziti Zealot