Any great thrillers available?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Any great thrillers available?

Postby Gloria T. Camel on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:44 am

I've been killing myself reading 4 differnt thrillers at a time and have yet to find a good one! My school library is absolutley rubbish I don't think they actually know what thrillers are...They all seem to be mystery...Anyway anyone out there found any good thrilling books?
Gloria T. Camel
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Duke on Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:04 am

Stephen King.

Try The Shining. for a starter, and if you like what you read, read The Stand.

That's my piece of advice.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Gloria T. Camel on Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:05 am

Ok great, I think my parents may have The Shining So I might try that
Gloria T. Camel
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Duke on Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:12 am

Great idea. If you really enjoy Stephen King, you can pretty much go anywhere from those first two. I would recomend 'Salem's Lot next, though.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Gloria T. Camel on Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:13 am

Alright, Sounds like your a thriller fan then
Gloria T. Camel
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Duke on Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:29 am

Not too much, but I love Stephen King. I don't go too far out of my way to find thrillers, I like all sorts of stuff.

John Grisham has some good thrillers, but most of his books are law thrillers, not normal ones, but there are a few of the good old kinds.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen
Duke

Postby Grey on Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:09 pm

The Cobra Event by Richard Preston, if you like medical thrillers, and Hot Zone by him is excellent so far. I happen to like Dean Koontz, and some of his are thriller-y. By the Light of the Moon is good, Odd Thomas was really good. Faces by Koontz is muy bueno as well.
The revolution has abandoned you. You're on your own now.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Gloria T. Camel on Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:58 am

Whoah I'm going to have to get a start on all these books
Gloria T. Camel
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

The Traveller

Postby FloridaJudy on Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:08 pm

I recommend:

*The Traveller* by John Twelve Hawks. Strange but compelling novel - sort of like Quentin Taratino meets The Matrix. There's little sex, but graphic violence. There's also a kick-butt woman Ninja.

*Anansi Boys* and *American Gods* by Neil Gaiman. Very funny books about the nature of reality, that also happen to be good thrillers. I'd recommend anything by Neil Gaiman!

Avoid *The DaVinci Code*. How something this badly written got on the best seller list is the only mystery.
FloridaJudy
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Nigga Tony on Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:18 am

I agree with Duke. The Stand is possibly the best book I've ever read.

A lot of people love Dean Koontz. He's kind of a knockoff Stephen King in my opinion, but I'll admit that From the Corner of His Eye is really a masterpiece.
The fool hath said in his heart, "There is no Flying Spaghetti Monster".
Nigga Tony
Conchigliette Convert

Dean Koontz

Postby FloridaJudy on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:08 am

I've gone a bit off Koontz lately. His last few novels seem to be ultra right-wing, right-to-life screeds; the one I just finished (The Husband) was scathing toward Atheists/Humanists. I'm a Buddhist myself, but some of my best friends...

I still like some of his earlier stuff, Twilight Eyes and Watchers in particular.
FloridaJudy
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors