The Battle of Algiers

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

The Battle of Algiers

Postby Duke on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:44 pm

Has anyone seen the Battle of Algiers? It's a French movie about the French occupation of Algeria and the Algerian people's fight for independence. It is amazingly relevant to today's conflicts, and also historically significant. It's well acted and well directed. It might not be too easy to find, but I recommend it for anyone interested in politics, movies, and war.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Re: The Battle of Algiers

Postby E.Raser two on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:45 pm

Duke wrote:Has anyone seen the Battle of Algiers?

Yes, I did.
many years ago.
I remmber two scenes: when French soldiers arrive in the town, and the last scene when the insurrection begin spontaneous.
E.Raser two
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Jean Bart on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:24 pm

I looked it up, the movie has been made in 1966, but suffered a lot of censure. Is it a coincidence that this movie turns up again, when there has been, in october 2006, a new French movie, called "Indigènes", about the treatment soldiers native of the French colonies received after having served in WWII? They received a much lesser pension than the French soldiers, because of the lower standards in their birthplaces. Well, I put it roughly, but I think you can compare both movies. Here is more about that, but in French...
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Season 2, Episode 2)
"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'eau de là" (Francis Blanche)
"Nu zijn er wel die mij niet mogen, of onverschillig langs mij gaan. Met liefde en met mededogen zie ik die vuile schoften aan! (Drs. P in "Jubelzang")
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens." (phrase attribuée à Arnaud Amaury, légat du Pape, à l'occasion de la prise de Béziers en 1209)
Jean Bart
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Duke on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Actually, I read an article about Indigènes in Slate (though it was named Days of Glory for America), and was reminded of The Battle of Algiers. But I own The Battle of Algiers, and I have for a while. In fact, I watched it again just days before I read about Days of Glory.

So, yes, it's a coincidence. But I would like to see Indigènes, as soon as I get off this Flying Spaghetti Monster-forsaken island and back to a civilized place with an artsy movie house.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen
Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors