Worst movie ever made...

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Worst movie ever made...

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:03 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:I want to be a part of a Spontaneous Musical Number one day. It's my dream.

That's what flashmobs are for. Post it on YouTube when you're done.

While that sounds brilliant, it's not exactly spontaneous. I want a myriad of random, unconnected people to get together spontaneously and perform a musical number, dammit!

But that does sound brilliant. Very brilliant.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Valanthe on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:46 am

Nothing like that ever happens in my area. Then again, I think parts of my town still think the Civil War is going on. *sigh*
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby S'presso on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:05 pm

I have begun to plot my mustache-subway party.
It's a subway party, only all attendees must don a mustache, a fake mustache, or draw one on.
[of course, it's not like I'll kick you out of the car or anything..)
Look! A new sig.
Blaaaaag.
S'presso
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Ubi Dubium on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:06 pm

Valanthe wrote:Nothing like that ever happens in my area. Then again, I think parts of my town still think the Civil War is going on. *sigh*

Ah, yes. The Late Unpleasentness. My Mother (from an OLD southern family in Richmond) tells me that until she left home, she had no idea that "damnyankees" was actually two words.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Valanthe on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:13 pm

I can believe that. I have a few D.Y.s as friends, so no doubt I'd be considered a traitor. Plus the fact that I joined a union. I joke about it, but only to people who know me well enough to know that I am joking. Then again, the old prejudices tend to run along both sides of the Mason-Dixon.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby CoolName on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:11 pm

Napoleon Dynamite. Bad story. Bad acting. Low budget. Not even "funny 'cause it's bad" but just painful to watch.
Check out my website.
Mark Twain wrote:It’s better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you’re stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
CoolName
Ziti Zealot

Postby Ubi Dubium on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:22 pm

Well, not a movie, not exactly. I just gritted my teeth and watched almost the entire Star Wars Holiday Special. I understand why Lucas wants to destroy all the copies! It was painfully embarassing to watch. (I admit, I had to skip over the part where Bea Arthur was singing to Harvey Korman in the Cantina.) It centered around Chewbacca's family, especially his son, Lumpy. Lumpy? How is it possible that Lucas got even worse at thinking up names? Mark Hamill had just had facial surgery and was wearing so much makeup that he looked like a cartoon. They made Princess Leia sing. People tell me that the only redeeming feature was the cartoon that included the first appearance of Boba Fett, but the animation was so bad I had to skip that part too.

Everybody should watch this once. And only once.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Valanthe on Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:25 am

And now you know why the Holiday Special has such a wonderful reputation. I've only seen the animated sequence, and that's all I needed to see.

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:14 am

I have to go with 28 Days Later. I couldn't make it all the way through. I know there are a lot of people out there who loved this movie, but I simply cannot understand this. I thought it was absolute crap. The time I wasted on that movie would have been better spent being waterboarded.
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:54 am

FaithfulPirate42 wrote:I have to go with 28 Days Later. I couldn't make it all the way through. I know there are a lot of people out there who loved this movie, but I simply cannot understand this. I thought it was absolute crap. The time I wasted on that movie would have been better spent being waterboarded.

I'd have to agree there. The camera angles are awful, as is the picture quality. (But that may have just been the DVD version, I'm not sure)

It's just not a very good movie. In fact, the sequel is better. (Marginally)

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:50 am

Apparently 28 Days Later's appeal lies in Cillian Murphy. I am reliably informed that the ladies find him decorative.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:07 pm

Carnosaur
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106521/

First off, Roger Corman produced it, and pretty much anything with his name on it is guaranteed to be a flaming turd. Horrible, horrible special effects, acting that makes Paris Hilton look downright Shakespearean, and an ending that makes no sense. It's not just a bad ending because it was a cheap, deus ex machina way to wrap things up, but the last shot is a pathetic attempt to be "deep" and "meaningful." You don't shovel shlocky B movie dino-explotation drivel at us for an hour and a half, then get all art film on us at the end, like you've written a horrible research paper for school but thinking that sticking a poem about the subject at the end will get you an A+.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:38 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Apparently 28 Days Later's appeal lies in Cillian Murphy. I am reliably informed that the ladies find him decorative.

Yeah, decorative. Purely decorative, no acting talent, really.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Valanthe on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:23 pm

I had the misfortune to see 28 Days Later in the theater (I was dragged). I found myself wondering when it would be over. If time drags on and on during a film, that's always a bad sign. I didn't much care for the sequel, either.

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby black bart on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:26 am

PKMKII wrote:Carnosaur
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106521/

First off, Roger Corman produced it, and pretty much anything with his name on it is guaranteed to be a flaming turd. Horrible, horrible special effects, acting that makes Paris Hilton look downright Shakespearean, and an ending that makes no sense. It's not just a bad ending because it was a cheap, deus ex machina way to wrap things up, but the last shot is a pathetic attempt to be "deep" and "meaningful." You don't shovel shlocky B movie dino-explotation drivel at us for an hour and a half, then get all art film on us at the end, like you've written a horrible research paper for school but thinking that sticking a poem about the subject at the end will get you an A+.

Give poor Roger Corman a break...he made some classic horror movies based on Edgar Allen Poe stories in the 1970s.

This does not sound like it was one of his best though.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Authors, Films and Directors