Word of the Day

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Word of the Day

Postby PKMKII on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:08 pm

douce
-adjective
sedate; modest; quiet.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby DavidH on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:14 am

douce
-n. (American)

The two of a suit of cards.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby PKMKII on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:48 am

alienist
-noun
1. (formerly) a doctor specializing in the treatment of mental illness.
2. an expert witness in a sanity trial.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:03 pm

beldam
-noun
1. an old woman, especially an ugly one; hag.
2. Obsolete. grandmother.

PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:55 pm

bedlam
-noun
What goes on inside Mad Willyum Bonney's head. Derived from a phonetic corruption of the Bethlehem Hospital for The Insane.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:20 pm

oligaemia
-noun
a reduction in the volume of the blood, as occurs after haemorrhage

PKMKII

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:15 pm

ischaemic penumbra
-noun
an area of tissue which, following a blockage of a local blood vessel, is not completely deprived of blood flow and therefore no longer viable, but is also not supplied with enough blood from another source to remain undamaged: an area of damaged but still viable tissue.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby PKMKII on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:50 pm

anthropogenic
-adjective
caused or produced by humans: anthropogenic air pollution.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:41 am

afreet
-noun
a powerful evil demon or monster.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:51 pm

acidulous
-adjective
1. slightly sour.
2. sharp; caustic: his acidulous criticism of the book.
3. moderately acid or tart; subacid.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:37 pm

mattock
-noun
an instrument for loosening the soil in digging, shaped like a pickax, but having one end broad instead of pointed.

PKMKII

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:39 am

Sorry for not following the usual form, but this requires a little background. I was perusing a new report that I received electronically at work today, a horribly torturous beast about an investigation into the presence of infrasound and other very low frequency sound-like vibrations near a wind farm, and their possible effects on human residents in the vicinity. The report is brand spanking new, just came out last week, and it's just overflowing with all these cool graphs and charts and stuff, along with some less than exciting discussion and rather vague conclusions. One of the graphs plotted turbine rotation rates in hertz against nameplate power rating for a dozen or so different industrial turbines. The text in the image was kind of small, and there was this horizontal line across that seemed to represent something significant, but I couldn't make it out, so I magnified the screen to see what the label said. It was right at 0.2 Hz, and several of the turbines had rotation frequency ranges that overlapped the line.
The line was labeled "nauseogeneticity". The point at which the noise from the turbine (which you can't hear, because it's below the threshold of human hearing) makes you puke. This is my new favorite word, and I felt it was appropriate to share it with you, my friends. I hope you enjoy using it as much as I will.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby DavidH on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:40 am

So Brenda plying her trade would generate loud sounds around that frequency. That explains a lot. I always knew she was nauseogenic.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:17 am

Nauseogenecity is maximised at 0.2Hz for motion sickness. Oscillate a person at 0.2Hz (one cycle every 5 seconds), and they will get motion sickness. Not got a lot to do with sound or mechanical vibration as far as I can tell. Do I smell the faint whiff of bollocks-masquerading-as-science, perhaps?

(I ask because I have this just up the road from me. I love it. So do the dogs.)
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:34 am

Talking of noises having strange effects, I was watching a TV programme about unusual natural events last night. It concerned a type of Cicada which hatch out in massive swarms every 13 years (the number is significant). The event happens in Tennessee and the point about the noise is: if you happen to use a power tool during the swarm, the cicadas will swarm all over you because the sound of the power tool is similar to the mating call.

violescent adj

1. Tending to a violet colour.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes