Funny stuff found on the intrawebs ver. 2.0

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Funny stuff found on the intrawebs ver. 2.0

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Long before you were born, young whippersnapper, all pills and potions came in brown glass bottles. That way you could go from branded proprietary meds to generic post-patent meds with nary a whisper from the patient. These days the NHS procurement / approvals bodies insist on buying meds in retail packaging instead of having pharmacists counting pills and deciding on brands or generics.

One of the girlies from the disco band has just started chemo for breast cancer. She had to give away her pro-biotic yoghurts, because she would have ended up with no enteric flora except what was in the drinks, therefore she would have been a new species of singing yoghurt. Apparently medical science is not ready for this yet.

(That is her flippant version of events, not mine.)
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PKMKII on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:04 pm

daftbeaker wrote:Do US pharmacies get pills in big boxes and count them out into orange pots? Do they come in blister packs and are popped out into orange pots?

U.S. pharmacies distributed pills in both ways, depending on the drug in question. Last time I was prescribed antibiotics they came in a blister pack, but I've also gotten them in the orange bottle things. Sometimes there's a child safety concern as well, the bottles tend to have tricky opening methods (push and hold down, then turn) that make it harder for shorties to get into your pills.

daftbeaker wrote:Are the orange pots just used in film and TV to show drugs are being prescribed (I know they featured heavily whenever House was having one of his junkie moments)?

They are more visually obvious than a blister pack. Plus, similar to what Roy said, there was a time when pills always came in bottles so there's a strong cultural association there. In the case of the comic, I think it's just easier to anthropomorphize a bottle than a blister pack.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:05 am

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:16 am

I am very immature and so find supermarket scrabble hilarious. You'll quickly understand how it's played but there are some notty words.

Edit - apparently this is several years old. I feel like I've been missing out.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:58 pm

Starsky and Hutch were playing Scrabble in the car. Hutch was losing, so he threw his pieces out of the window. Starsky had to go and find Huggy Bear, find out what the word on the street is.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:42 pm

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:17 am

Livestrong articles are written by idiots.

Reena Vokuon wrote:Myth 2: Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're not slimming down from working out, this is the reason.

Reality: While most of us have probably heard this myth before, it's incorrect. According to the National Academy of Sports Medicine and Stacey Penney, NASM CES, PES, FNS, one pound of muscle actually weighs the same as one pound of fat.

No shit Sherlock. In other news, a pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of feathers :facewall:

daftbeaker

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:03 am

daftbeaker wrote:Livestrong articles are written by idiots.

Reena Vokuon wrote:Myth 2: Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're not slimming down from working out, this is the reason.

Reality: While most of us have probably heard this myth before, it's incorrect. According to the National Academy of Sports Medicine and Stacey Penney, NASM CES, PES, FNS, one pound of muscle actually weighs the same as one pound of fat.

No shit Sherlock. In other news, a pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of feathers :facewall:

Actually, they are written FOR idiots. I have to use a similar approach with many of the documents I write for elected officials. And doubly so for stuff I write for public consumption.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Rainswept on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:20 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:Livestrong articles are written by idiots.

Actually, they are written FOR idiots. I have to use a similar approach with many of the documents I write for elected officials. And doubly so for stuff I write for public consumption.

Also, those same feathers, and four times the original pound of lead, all weigh the same in zero gravity.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby PKMKII on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:26 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:25 pm

Roy Hunter

Postby daftbeaker on Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:29 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:How to play the drums.

Have you been listening to the National Institute of Physics (NIPPLES)? (Rant continued in RR&M)

daftbeaker

Postby Cardinal Fang on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:53 pm

How to get back at Scammers

For the first time ever I find myself hoping I actually get a scammer texting me

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:28 am

If that tickled your fancies, I know you'll enjoy this
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.
gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:32 pm

gronank wrote:If that tickled your fancies, I know you'll enjoy this

Not sure I'd be able to keep something like that going that long. That is read dedication to scamming a scammer

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Fun, and Jokes