Large Washington D.C. Gathering (TLAP Day)

Wanna get together to pillage something, or just to have a bowl of pasta? Schedule it with your fellow Pastafarians here.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Large Washington D.C. Gathering (TLAP Day)

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:44 pm

So in the interest of less local meetups, I propose meeting in Washington D.C. on September 19th, to basically dress like pirates and frighten people in (one of) the Nations Capitol.

for more local people, it would make an excellent Saturday day trip. For those farther away and with the means to transport yourselves here, we could organize some guest room type usage. In the fall my house should have three guest beds open, in separate rooms.

Also to make it worthwhile for people spending one or more nights, we can plan to do stuff Friday through Sunday. Friday for it is the holy day, Saturday for it would be the Talk Like a Pirate Day, and Sunday just for the halibut.

I definitely think we should make a big ruckus on the mall or something. Or play the role of really incompetent tourist pirates in any of the Smithsonian museums, continually asking employees inane but entertaining questions as a group.

So! If you are local and interested, post! If you've got a room or bed or couch to spare that weekend, do pipe up! And if you're not local but do want to come, post as well! We can work something out.

Huzzah! :fsm_yarr:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Re: Large Washington D.C. Gathering (TLAP Day)

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:08 pm

I will now refrain from making comments about your previous East-Coast-centrism.
I will also try to make it there or to a more local event....or may set a different gathering!
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:08 pm

We have floor space and a sofa to share, but no real guest room. More like crash space. Talk Like a Pirate Day is on a Saturday this year.

The Maryland Renaissance Festival is running, but the Pirate Adventure Weekend is the following weekend. The 19th and 20th are the Irish Weekend.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Sounds like a lot to take in, but those whirlwind-type vacations are often quite enjoyable.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:47 pm

Turns out this may or may not be Parents weekend at my sisters college and/or the weekend my dad is going to be in Portland. So we will be finding out more about how that'll work out.

an alternate date which would make a good Pastafarian Holiday anyway is the Scopes Trial, which was July 21st (or at least that's when Wikipedia says the decision was). probably too short notice by now, but in the future perhaps?

So, perhaps Pirate Weekend at the Renn Faire would be a better weekend anyway? We could always hit up the mall anyway, using the pirate weekend as an excuse to be in town, and as pirate tourists must, visit museums as well. XD
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Return to FSM Gatherings