The Obvious Question

Posts that are locked but open for perusal.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Postby fusiontortellini on Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:10 pm

If there are true things really worth celebrating, it's the Return of the Light and the End of the Snow.

A case could be made for Halloween, actually. Come to think of it, I celebrate it with as much faiith as Easter. So it's the second Chocolate festival.

In New England, celbrating the Change of the Leaves. Also known as Tourist Season.
Who really might actually be back this time . . .

May the Fiori be with you. And may It have Meatballs.
fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Capellini on Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:55 pm

[quote="Shoeman"]

Christmas (I think easter) are just pagan holiday(s) dressed up to look like Christian ones. [quote]

Not really. The historical specifics are so detailed and convoluted, you can't really say they are dressed up pagan holidays and be accurate. It's a complete thread unto itself.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Pasta Dick Foot on Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:38 pm

Shoeman wrote:Christmas (I think easter) are just pagan holiday(s) dressed up to look like Christian ones.

December 25 is when people in the Northern Hemisphere noticed the days were getting longer, and the Sun god was not going to die after all, mainly a Scandanavian thing.

In the original Greek biblical texts for Acts 12:4, the word is not Easter, but Pesach, that is Passover. According to the Catholic Encyclopeadia, Easter was named after a pagan goddess of the Anglo-Saxons named Eostre, the goddess of the dawn.

Christians do not celebrate Easter at the time of the Jewish Passover.

http://www.ldolphin.org/ishtar.html
Pasta Dick Foot
BANNINATED!!!!!!

Postby fusiontortellini on Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:43 pm

I just looked on Wikipedia -- very quickly. There are PAGES and PAGES about calculating when Easter is. I learned it was the first Sunday after two weeks after the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

Right now the Christian Churches don't have a consistent way of figuring out the day. I gather a council proposed making it the first Sunday in April a few years' back, but nobody went for it.

Speaking of Biblical archaeology -- I'm watching a documentary right now about the recent discovery of the skull of Rameses II's firstborn son by Kenneth Weeks in KV5. It's got a rather prominent depressed fracture, just from looking at it.

Makes you wonder doesn't it? Wouldn't think God needed a club. . .

Watch it if you can -- these things rerun all the time -- Rameses, Wrath of God or Man on one of the Discovery Channels

fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Brutally Honest on Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:47 am

Technically I was baptized catholic and was never excommunicated because they don't know who I am.

In reality I am FSM only and my spirituality is simple:

"I have too much respect for FSM to call him anything else. It makes a clear statement that noone can make any sensible statement on FSM or any other religion by the same token. Therefore, FSM is the only truth."

vbbbbbbbbbbbb

PS: The last comment was written by one of mt cats while walking on the keyboard... He does that a lot.
Yes I have been touched...
Brutally Honest
Conchigliette Convert

Postby fusiontortellini on Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:04 am

My cats have also attempted communication, but I require a translation first. In fact, one of my cats, has learned a human word: "OUT"! for when she wants to go outside. She's only allowed supervised visits, as she once decided to lie down in front of a (fortunately slowly) moving car.

I was also baptized Catholic, but avoided confirmation. As I was an atheist by then, saying "Yeah, I really *do* believe!" would have been a tad difficult. :roll:

My parents got divorced when I was in 12th grade. My mother got a retroactive annulment (after 6 kids!). So technically, I'm a bastard! :D

fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby boogie_b on Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:55 am

oh well, i too was baptized by the cat-holics...but they are very boring...
i mean, you cant have meatball pasta on fridays,UAAA...
so i will stick to my real creator, FSM...
simple and true...
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :fsm_rock:
tu tuh tuh,HIT THE BANJO!
pn-en-en-en-en-en-en-nah-nah-nah-ne-nah-nu-nu-nu-nu-NAH!
boogie_b
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Capellini on Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:56 pm

Ugh, my post disappeared. Trying again:

The problem is that there is no documentation that a goddess Eostre/Eostra ever existed. She's entirely made up. In fact, there is no such thing as an Anglo-Saxon pantheon.

There is a Scandanavian goddess Ostara, but any attempts to link her to Easter have failed.

The overall theme is that some Christian holidays were purposefully placed at the same time as local indigenous holidays to make conversion more palatable. There were, however, uniquely Christian holidays. (Or, at least as unique as a religion that evolved from those before it could be.)
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby bet1 on Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:59 pm

I was an Atheist before I was converted :worship: :fsm_glee:
WWFSMD?
I know, he'd make more Pastafarians!
bet1
Ziti Zealot

Postby The Meromorph on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:12 pm

fusiontortellini wrote:
Speaking of Biblical archaeology -- I'm watching a documentary right now about the recent discovery of the skull of Rameses II's firstborn son by Kenneth Weeks in KV5.

Rameses II had a son by Kenneth Weeks? I didn't know they were even noodling?
This could give a whole new meaning to "Carbon Dating" ! :lol:
Laughing in the rain.
Dancing in the desert sand,
Somersaults through life.
The Meromorph
Sweet Moderation

Location: Sailing away to Vindravan, eating my tears with laughter.

Postby fusiontortellini on Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:57 pm

In that case, I dibs King Tut! He was younger, prettier, and the jewelry was fantastic!

fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby fusiontortellini on Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:36 pm

"Dancin' by the Nile, (Disco Tut)
The ladies love his style, (waltzing Tut)
Rockin' for a mile (rockin' Tut)
He ate a crocodile. . .

"Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia,
He was born in Arizona, lived in a condo made of stone-a,
King Tut!" -- Steve Martin

Not sure about the stone condo, but, after all, we're only dating.

fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Pasta Dick Foot on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:12 pm

Brutally Honest wrote:Technically I was baptized catholic and was never excommunicated because they don't know who I am.

They will not let you out even if you demand that they do, and sign your application by blowing up a few of their Cathedrals. Helps keep their numbers up, I suppose.
Pasta Dick Foot
BANNINATED!!!!!!

Postby Shoeman on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:33 pm

Its easy to get out of the Catholic Church. Say you're a gay Satanist with no intention of loving Jesus but only the Devil and that Satan commands you to steal sacraments.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Shoeman
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby fusiontortellini on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:42 pm

Yeah, even excommunication is supposed to be just punitive. For some reason, they think you want to eat tasteless little disks of cardboard. I'm still technically a member (having been baptised). But they don't know where I live!

fusiontortellini
Agnolini Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Locked Posts