Did you hear who died?

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Did you hear who died?

Postby DavidH on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Calm down, dear! It's only Michael Winner dead.
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:31 pm

DavidH wrote:Calm down, dear! It's only Michael Winner dead.
...and there was rejoicing in the kitchens of Covent Garden.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:55 am

^He always did have a bit of a 'Death Wish'.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Reg Presley, former frontman of 1960s group The Troggs and the man who wrote that f*&%ing interminable song that Wet Wet Wet were at number one in the charts for 5 years with, 71, cancer.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:15 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Reg Presley, former frontman of 1960s group The Troggs and the man who wrote that f*&%ing interminable song that Wet Wet Wet were at number one in the charts for 5 years with, 71, cancer.

He was a bit of a Wild Thing.

I once heard an hilarious tape of the Troggs fighting in the recording studio...does it still exist?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:19 am

black bart wrote:He was a bit of a Wild Thing.

I once heard an hilarious tape of the Troggs fighting in the recording studio...does it still exist?
Indeed it does, but it has been eclipsed by the legendary "Wibbling Rivalry", a confrontation of spectacular inanity between the Gallacher Brothers in an interview with a journalist.
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:08 am

It's never good when a Shanty singer dies, but this is really tragic:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21426938
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:25 am

Peter Vlahos, the man who gave us the blue- and green-screen colour separation system. 96, he was old.

Also, Reeva Steenkamp, all-round babe, 29, murdered by an asshole on the day of the One Billion Rising campaign.
Roy Hunter

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:50 am

Very sad indeed, but more annoying than sad is that that One Billion Rising website crashed my computer! :furious:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby black bart on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Actor Richard Briers aged 79...he only recently made Cockneys v Zombies.

I shall always remember him for Roobarb and Custard:

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Helium Hands on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Even though I dislike country music, Mindy McCready committed suicide yesterday after her fifth attempt since 2005. As somebody who deals with a severe mental illness, I feel for her. She left behind two small children, though, one of whose father died last month (I think. I know it was recently).
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

I have come to love the "foe" feature - my own private banhammer.
Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Helium Hands on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:19 am

Tony Sheridan, the man who fronted the very early Beatles has died.
"You bypassed the Maginot line of logic and rationality and annexed the Sudetenland of irrational comparisons!"
-Unattrib

"We live in a world where John Lennon was murdered, yet Barry Manilow continues to put out fucking albums. God-dammit! If you're gonna kill somebody, have some fucking taste. I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house."
-Bill Hicks

Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:09 pm

That article is a load of crap. Sheridan was never a member of The Beatles, The Beatles were not the only Beat Brothers and only appeared on six songs, and "Cry For A Shadow" and "Ain't She Sweet" were not recorded at the same times as the Sheridan sessions, nevermind appearing on the original record. They appeared on later rereleases as "In The Beginning (Circa 1960)" and the company was sued by EMI because the songs were owned by EMI and were not recorded in 1960. The record was called "(Circa 1960)" to give a false air of legitimacy, and subsequent rereleases left that bit out of the title and royalties were paid to EMI.

Nevertheless, I'm quite fond of Sheridan's original composition "Why", which The Beatles DID NOT perform on, and all the songs on the album were arranged by Sheridan, and it's generally a fun record. Sad to see him go.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:16 pm

Singer-songwriter Kevin Ayers, originally of Soft Machine. He was 68, it was probably the mileage more than the age that did for him.

Listened to a lot of his solo stuff back in my 'herbalism' days. One of my favourites (and a bit of a party piece when they pass the guitar around) was Stranger in Blue Suede Shoes.
Roy Hunter

Postby Helium Hands on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:28 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:That article is a load of crap. Sheridan was never a member of The Beatles

I was really torn on how to post this, and at the time I saw the news, I didn't have any other good options to link to. My apologies.
-Unattrib

-Bill Hicks

Helium Hands
Fusilli Fuselier

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion