Did you hear who died?

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Did you hear who died?

Postby PKMKII on Wed May 28, 2014 9:55 am

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Cardinal Fang on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:14 am

Rik Mayall - actor + comedian. Aged 56

Best known for The Young Ones and Bottom

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby daftbeaker on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Rik's one and only tweet :haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:13 pm

Casey Kasem, DJ and voice of Shaggy from Scooby Doo, 82, Lewy body dementia.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Horace Silver, jazz pianist and original 'hard bop' stylist, 85.

Gerry Goffin, Husband and other half of songwriting team with Carole King, 75. If you don't know who Goffin and King are, keep that shit to yourself and Google it. Not in the mood for people who are ignorant of good music.

Got chatting to a youth on Bookface the other day, he told me that folk music was rubbish. I asked why. He told me "You can't drop the bass with folk music".
:facewall: :facewall: :facewall: :nefyoobash: :nefyoobash: :nefyoobash: :furious: :furious: :furious:
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:47 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Got chatting to a youth on Bookface the other day, he told me that folk music was rubbish. I asked why. He told me "You can't drop the bass with folk music".
:facewall: :facewall: :facewall: :nefyoobash: :nefyoobash: :nefyoobash: :furious: :furious: :furious:

Yet another harbinger of the apocalypse.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PKMKII on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Got chatting to a youth on Bookface the other day, he told me that folk music was rubbish. I asked why. He told me "You can't drop the bass with folk music".

The recent obsession in EDM with "dropping the bass" reminds me of a line from Ishkur's guide to electronic music (which, if you haven't seen it, is a great guide to all the myriad subgenres of EDM):

Let it be said that electronic music NEVER learns how to 'leave the audience wanting more'. Instead, like a spoiled, immature little child, it shamelessly and greedily exploits any whiff of success it sees, to cartoonish extremes.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:40 pm

"Nursie" is no more - actress Patsy Byrne dies

British actress Patsy Byrne, best known for playing Nursie in Blackadder II, has died aged 80. This follows the death of Rik Mayall a little over a week ago, who played Lord Flasheart in Blackadder II.

Is there a "Curse of Blackadder"?

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:41 am

Tommy Ramone, last of the original Ramones line-up.

I wanna be sedated.
Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:57 am

Roy Hunter

Postby bonsaiherb on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:21 am

James Garner, deserves better than
Roy Hunter wrote:James Garner, of Maverick and Rockford Files fame, 86, he was old.
I sure hope I get a better obit than that.

http://www.portocallpublishing.com/news ... h=#ontitle

My own was:

In this Bieber world there are so few role models today to show boys how to be 'good' men, or role models worth following.

In his personal life he was a family man,, he wasn't out drinking and womanizing like so many actors of the day were. He married and stayed with his wife for almost 60 years. That alone makes him a great man. He may not have won the Hollywood awards but his fellow actors respected him and so did his fans. That is what mattered to this man.

I am so glad that he finally made 'The Great Escape!'
bonsaiherb
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion