Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Re: Sports

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:17 am

No one was showing the England match in any of the four pubs I tried :bummer: It's just not the same on radio.

Edit - 3 points ahead at half time. The highlights for this are going to be good.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Is this cricket you're talking about?
daftbeaker wrote:The highlights for this are going to be good.
No. They are not.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby daftbeaker on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Is this cricket you're talking about?
daftbeaker wrote:The highlights for this are going to be good.
No. They are not.

Yes, they are. It was a good match and those tries before half time were great. The Scotland match, not so much :moon:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

daftbeaker

Postby black bart on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:49 am

Meanwhile, Wales are taking a bit of rest from being Grand Slam Champions of the Northern (totally rubbish) hemisphere and we are giving a much needed confidence boost to such down trodden nations as Argentina and Samoa...in return Wales get a year's supply of Corned Beef and Free lessons for a really good Samoan Slapping Dance.

Pssst...England are a bit down trodden at the moment...Oh no...we draw the line at England.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby daftbeaker on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:15 pm

daftbeaker

Postby black bart on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:09 pm

:furious: You can go off a publication you know...have they got Anne Robinson writing for them or something!

Anyway, I took the New Romantic path and look where it got me.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:38 am

Hopefully Liverpool will have tired themselves out playing The Young Boys last night...Swansea v Liverpool on Sunday.

The Young Boys? A Swiss team who play at The Wankdorf Stadium. :haha:
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 am

Arsenal 0 Swansea 2...

That gave Arse Face Wenger something to winge about.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:24 am

Juan Marquez KO's Manny Pacquiao in the 6th round. It's the 5th loss of Pacquiao's career, and the first time he's ever had back-to-back losses. End of a dynasty?

Johnny Manziel wins Heisman trophy. First ever freshman winner, which means he's either really good, or this was a crap year for college football. And now I have to put up with the whining of Notre Dame "fans" who've never been to Indiana, let alone attended Notre Dame, but root for the team because they're "Irish."
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:17 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:27 pm

PKMKII wrote:Image

Well, it beats the old 'fake run and jump over the ball' trick :haha:

daftbeaker

Postby PKMKII on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Man City close to being awarded an MLS expansion team in Queens, New York City.

Would name the team "New York City Football Club," and be the second NYC MLS team after the New York Red Bulls (formerly New York Metro).

The opportunity makes sense, especially given the location. The Red Bulls are kind of hamstrung playing in New Jersey. Where this expansion team will be playing is a 5-10 minute subway ride from Corona, which is one of the biggest hispanic neighborhoods in Queens. So there's a natural fanbase very close.

PKMKII

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Blasted hockey BS . Not that I care anymore , we haven't had a contender since Pat Quinn held the reins. But a lot of peeps are hurting from the lost revenue in pubs , hockey stuff like jerseys , etc .
Argh!
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby PKMKII on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:57 am

So last season, Mets shortstop Jose Reyes won the NL batting title, and then was promptly traded to Miami. This season, R.A. Dickey won the NL Cy Young... and then was promptly traded to Toronto. I guess next season David Wright will win the MVP, and then we'll trade him to the Cubs or something... :cry:

PKMKII

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:56 pm

Mad Willyum Bonney wrote:Blasted hockey BS . Not that I care anymore , we haven't had a contender since Pat Quinn held the reins. But a lot of peeps are hurting from the lost revenue in pubs , hockey stuff like jerseys , etc .
Argh!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :furious: :facewall: :furious: :facewall:

PKMKII wrote:So last season, Mets shortstop Jose Reyes won the NL batting title, and then was promptly traded to Miami. This season, R.A. Dickey won the NL Cy Young... and then was promptly traded to Toronto. I guess next season David Wright will win the MVP, and then we'll trade him to the Cubs or something... :cry:

Don't feel too badly. You could be a Red Sox fan - we spend astronomical sums on mediocre players, then trade them for worse players and continue to pay part of their salary for years.

Mad Willyum Bonney wrote:Blasted hockey BS . Not that I care anymore , we haven't had a contender since Pat Quinn held the reins. But a lot of peeps are hurting from the lost revenue in pubs , hockey stuff like jerseys , etc .
Argh!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :furious: :facewall: :furious: :facewall:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous Discussion