Sports

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Re: Sports

Postby bonsaiherb » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:34 am

I've always been completely underwhelmed by any sport - WTF is the point?
Why can't we care about stuff that actually means something and benefits mankind as a whole?

Most sports basically are substitutes for aggregation. Military deception, trickery, subterfuge, lying, blitz attacks and the like in order to come out on top! Sports is just a modern relief valve for War and the accumulation of resources. In the case of modern sports, obscene amounts of MONEY. Thinking of the 'Ronaldo's, Lerbron James, Kobe Byrants throw in ego and the perks of female adoration.

In High School years it is also a way to reduce the testosterone short circuit that young males go through. While we think of the highest payed critters, most athletes struggle just to make ends meet and risk their health and limbs in the competitive high of challenging and being challenged.

I would further add, that sometimes we just need to watch something a bit more (frivolous and un-meaningful in the scope of life) when we have to deal with politicians and their Machiavellian power games. Gone to any City or Govt. meetings recently? Planning commissions? YUP -- you are totally ignored. Sometimes, its just nice to lay on the couch or chair and be awed by these efforts. Even if some of them are floppers, Latin fuss-ball is an actors wet dream.

Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Elvalia » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:03 am

Canada plays England this Sunday at the Women's Rugby World Cup. I know a minor celebrity - one of the team Canada players used to prop for me in our younger years.

One of the local pubs is inviting everyone to come down, get drunk, and watch the game this weekend. I just might do it.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Elvalia wrote:One of the local pubs is inviting everyone to come down, get drunk, and watch the game this weekend. I just might do it.

Rugby is much better in a pub for the atmosphere (assuming you haven't actually got tickets for the match). Even when I've been in a pub with two large groups of opposing fans there's been good-natured competition and rivalry but it was still friendly.

The only downside is getting near the bar, sending someone to buy a round 5 minutes before half time works well :whistle:
There are times in life when people must know when not to let go. Balloons are designed to teach small children this - Sir Terry Pratchett

The great thing about Beaker is his ability to provoke while still being decorous, or at least within acceptable rules of conduct - Qwertyuiopasd

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:36 pm

On the first Sunday of the NFL season, Antonio Brown shows an example of a foul in football:
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:45 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:32 am

New England Patriots win the Super Bowl. Seattle was sitting on the 2 or 3 yard line with 20 seconds to go, down by 4, a time out, one of the greatest running backs in Marshawn Lynch out there. Instead went for a quick slant pass, Patriots intercepted.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:24 pm

So we had the first 'Old Firm' clash for three years on Sunday. I'm not using the word 'clash' as journalistic hubris: there was violence both on and off the pitch. For three years we have not had any incidents associated with this level of Police arrests, visits to hospital following acts of violence, or reports of drink-related domestic abuse.

Then Rangers and Celtic meet in a cup tie at a neutral ground, and West Central Scotland goes completely batshit. I don't know who won, and I don't care. You want to read a report on the match? Here you go.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:53 pm

I love the description of the culprit:

The man who threw the bottle was described as white, 5ft 11in tall and of heavy build. He was wearing green clothing and possibly a white beanie hat.

So, basically every Celtic fan?

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:58 am

5'11" is tall for a Scottish football troglodyte. Probably makes him the Alpha-troglodyte of the pack.

Kieran Duffy (the 10-year-old) is doing OK. He and his father gave a press conference yesterday, you can read about it here.

So far there have been 56 arrests for football-related offences. The Police are still looking for the perpetrators of this offence (and they found the bottle that was thrown, so they have fingerprints).

In other sports news, my boss is a director of Clyde FC, a Scottish League Two club, and he spent the last two days of the transfer window ensconced in his office making calls on his mobile. Tense stuff, big money, high-pressure negotiations... The result was that Clyde picked up two players in their 30swho were out of contract anyway.

Ah, the glamour of the Beautiful Game...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:50 pm

NYCFC wins their first home game, beating New England Revolution 2-0.

Also, our uniforms are just about identical to Man City:

gronank
Lord of Linguini

Postby gronank » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:23 pm

But it is Addidas instead of Nike as sponsor, that makes all the difference, (don't it?).
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Baseball season is upon us once more.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:31 pm

Sox win, Yanks lose. The way it should be.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Mets are on an 11 game winning streak, tying the franchise record. Tomorrow they go to the Bronx to try and break the record against the Great Satan.

Also, Lagares is a fielding god.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Wed May 27, 2015 7:45 pm

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussion”