Hoisting the colours!

Arrr, I be a pirate!

Moderator: All Things Mods

Hoisting the colours!

Postby freenarative on Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:13 am

I am designing my own flag. Nothing big, just something that relates to me and that I can use to find my tent if I go to festivals etc.
Picture the scene: "Where in the bowels of all that is unholy did I put that darned tent? Oh there it is!"
Or if someone is asked where I am they can reply with "You'll be searchin for the colours of the Gentleman called The Phoenix? He be over there so he is"
I'm sure you get the idea. So here's the question... christians have the fish/cross to identify themselves to other christians, the jewish have the star of david and so on but is there an simple shape or icon to identify one to another?
Something simple I can put into my design or put on the corner of the flag?
Thanks for any help you can give to this new convert.
Sledgehammer to the forehead. Night night cow!
freenarative
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Hoisting the colours!

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:58 pm

I believe there was a thread at some point in time about pirate flags. Apparently it wasn't all just skull and crossbones. Different pirates were known by their flags, and different symbols had their own meanings. Sadly, I cannot find it.

You can read more about pirate flags and symbols here, as well as see an assortment of historical pirate flags: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolly_Roger

Ultimately, whether it's a pirate flag or a personal flag, I'd start by thinking about the things you find important in your life, the things you want to be a part of your identity, the things you are proud to have as a part of your identity, then find ways to weave them into your flag, whether it be obvious to everyone or only to you.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby freenarative on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:37 pm

TY for the help. I was 99% sure before you posted that but you just confirmed everything I thought.
If you ever find yourself in the north west of the uk keep an eye out for the Colours of the Shadow Phoenix. First round is on me as a thank you for the help.
Sledgehammer to the forehead. Night night cow!
freenarative
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:59 pm

You are most welcome. I love to give advice. :haha:

But truly, I've always been a proponent of self examination. If making your flag is something that facilitates that, I'm all for it. And, as a graphic designer, I've always felt that any excuse to graphically express a metaphor is a good one. Well, almost any...
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Return to Pirate Discussion