Help putting FSM on Reading, PA Fire Tower

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Help putting FSM on Reading, PA Fire Tower

Postby BettySpaghetti on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:27 am

Hello, brilliant Pastafarians. I am looking for help in getting an illuminated display of FSM on a fire tower in Reading, Pennsylvania.

A Christian Cross has graced the city-owned fire tower for some 50 years. This cross is lit during Passover and changes to a star that is lit during the Christmas season. The ACLU wrote two letters to the Mayor of Reading asking him to remove the cross since December 2008. He has ignored these requests and the ACLU has threatened legal action. The mayor has expressed that he is willing to fight the ACLU and not take the cross down. He has seemingly received a lot of public support.

Here's an article:
http://wfmz.com/view/?id=720317

I wrote a letter on behalf of the "Reading Chapter" to the mayor via an online form to let him know local Pastafarians want to put an illuminated FSM on the tower as well. We are unable to determine if our letter was received or not due to an “internal server error”.

This is a mock-up design for the new, improved fire tower we submitted:
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... ock-up.jpg

I will be happy to post the letter if you like or feel it's necessary.

We also sent this to the editor of the local newspaper (ReadingEagle.com) who is of the belief that anonymous citizens do not deserve to participate in public discourse. We wish to remain as anonymous as possible since we are employed in this community and would like to keep it that way.

Any suggestions or help you could be provide would be greatly appreciated!

:fsm_rock:
BettySpaghetti
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Help putting FSM on Reading, PA Fire Tower

Postby Edd on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:14 pm

I suggest also writing to papers in surrounding cities, like The Erie Times-News, Allentown’s The Morning Call, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, and Philly’s Daily News.

If there’s one thing ignorant politicians with an agenda hate, it’s looking like an ignorant politician with an agenda to the rest of the world.

Here are some local addresses to use to go along with the alias/nom de plume of your choosing.

Alvernia University
400 Saint Bernardine St. Reading, PA 19607 610-796-8371 or 610-796-8381

Kutztown University
Main St. P.O. Box 730 Kutztown, PA 19530 610-683-4000
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby BettySpaghetti on Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:19 pm

Thank you so much for your suggestions, Edd. It's so nice to hear from someone who is supportive when you live in this community.

My concern about using an address for Kutztown or Alvernia is that they may not appreciate being contacted regarding this if the paper were to follow up. Additionaly, do you (or anyone else) happen to know if there would be any legal repercussions?
BettySpaghetti
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Edd on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:05 am

I suggested the universities because I thought the paper might just assume you were a student at one of them staying on campus. (I don’t live in PA, BTW)

Legally, I don’t see how you could be breaking any laws by using a pen name or providing a return address other than the one of your residence; you’re not entering into a contractual agreement or misrepresenting yourself by making statements such as, ‘This is my home address.’ Or ‘I am a representative of this establishment.’

To be on the safe side, you might want to check with Ubi Dubius, our resident lawyer (at least the only one who has identified himself as such).

An alternative would be to use an address of a sympathetic friend or business with their consent, or rent a mailbox. (I’m sure some of us here could provide you with legitimate addresses outside of Reading, PA but your local newspaper editor might decide non-locals don’t deserve to participate, either.)
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby BettySpaghetti on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:18 am

Thanks again for your replies. Yes, this is moved, I guess? Sorry, I'm a newbie :)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12012
BettySpaghetti
Conchigliette Convert

Return to The Cause