75 minute FSM workshop

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: 75 minute FSM workshop

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:59 pm

I'll certainly take questions. I can't expect that to exceed maybe 15 minutes or so, though.

I've started a true/false section to help point out some things, especially what pastafarianism ISN'T, but so far all I've really got is:

"Pastafarianism is about claiming to have had a vision and getting as many people as possible to go along with your idea, as long as it has to do with food." = false

I just wish I could think of something actually entertaining. Maybe a Loose Canon mad-lib?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ubi Dubium on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:27 pm

I've been looking for some pictures for you. I'm starting with the level of stupid that we're fighting.

Here's a book by Ken Ham about how the dinosaurs were originally vegetarian, and all died in the flood. We used to have a copy, that UDK#1 found at a used book sale, and we mailed it to PZ Myers. He wound up posting a couple of pages on Pharyngula.

A photo from the Creation "museum" with a kid happily co-existing with a carnivorous dinosaur:

Here's a display from the same place about how the flood supposedly was responsible for the breakup of pangaea:

And how about this one?
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Ubi Dubium on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:33 pm

Oh, and you could even open with a prayer:

"Our Pasta,
Who art in the colander
Swallow-ed by Thy name
Thy noodle come
Thy sauce be yum
On top some grated Parmesan
Give us this day our garlic bread
And give us our cutlasses
As we swashbuckle, swear and splice the mainbrace
And lead us not into vegetarianism
But deliver us some pizza
For Thine is the Noodle and the Beer and the Sauce
For ever and ever
RAmen"

I've seen a lot of different versions of this, but this is the one I think is the best so far.

Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:44 pm

Ooh! That's a great idea. A good curveball to throw people who might not know what to expect.

Does anyone know where the idea of Heaven being Beer Volcano and Stripper Factory came from? It's not in the open letter, so I guess it must've just been something on the website early on. It'd be nice to have a source instead of just saying "And this knowledge magically appeared." Not that it won't be in the Loose Canon soon enough.

I think i've actually got enough now, with the mad libs and the true/false, and brief sections added on main tenets and controversies (gender, linguine vs. spaghetti, Alfredo vs. pesto)

Keep it coming though, I'll probably time it again in an hour and see where we are.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Does anyone know where the idea of Heaven being Beer Volcano and Stripper Factory came from? It's not in the open letter, so I guess it must've just been something on the website early on. It'd be nice to have a source instead of just saying "And this knowledge magically appeared." Not that it won't be in the Loose Canon soon enough.

It is in the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I don't know if it appeared anywhere before that.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 pm

The concept was definitely around before that. I suppose it must have just been on the main page somewhere. No matter, I finished without the information.

I clocked the whole presentation in at about 30 minutes, and that's at a recitation pace, so I should be a lot slower when actually presenting. Plus, that doesn't include the Mad Lib game or questions, which I will accept during the entire presentation.

I think adding funny FSM pictures makes it more varied, but also will buy some time as they laugh and look at the pictures.

I can't wait to clean up a version and publish it, at least the script. I'm quite proud of some of the jokes.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Edd on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I clocked the whole presentation in at about 30 minutes, and that's at a recitation pace, so I should be a lot slower when actually presenting. Plus, that doesn't include the Mad Lib game or questions, which I will accept during the entire presentation.

My speaking tempo tends to increase rather noticeably when I'm in front of an audience, but that may be just me.

On the other hand, whenever I've attempted to include some ad-lib, I always run long.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:45 pm

The nature of it will be very informal, and if I talk too fast, they won't understand, so I'm expecting I'll be able to keep the tempo down knowing that. Plus, it's a bunch of people I know, and there will be room for them laughing/commenting and me not talking. Quite different from a "get on stage, and talk until we tell you to stop" set-up, which you might've meant.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Ubi Dubium on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:54 pm

Is it over? How did it go?

I want details!

Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Ham Nox on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:00 pm

Awesome... Way to spread the message!!
There's a UU church over by my house... I'll have to see if I can do something similar over here in Mormon-ville :)

Can I ask what Loose Canon stuff you'll be reading?
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:40 pm

It went very well. It was sort of just me talking to a bunch of sleep deprived youths, but I got some good laughs, and people have gotten very excited over it.

I'll dig up the Mad Lib results and post them to scriptures, because it's hilarious.

I actually didn't read anything from the Loose Canon, since it's not exactly complete yet, and this was just an introductory course. Besides, I wouldn't want to do anything on the Loose Canon until I know it frontwards and backwards, all marked up and analyzed. I just read from the Gospel, and a few quotes from Bobby Henderson on the website.

I read the 8 I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts, as it says in the script, and the various scientific examples from the book. I got some good questions, and one of them was to read from a random page from the Gospel, so I read the What Would A Pirate Do? Section. Funny, though in hindsight I should've picked something earlier in the book, with more ID humor.

The greatest thing that has come of it, though, is that the church it was hosted at, BRUU, is having a youth service soon, and I've been contacted and they're apparently doing the whole thing Pastafarian, and want my expert advice/presence. So that should be awesome. I was also talking with an adult from my church, and she said that it would make an excellent workshop for adults. So we'll see where this takes itself! :D

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:54 am

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Qwerty, I am deeply impressed!

Just… wow! :smile:

Congratulations!
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Ubi Dubium on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:55 am

Woo Hoo!

I have friends at BRUU, and we drop in occasionally, so this is something we ought to be able to come to. When is it?

Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:42 am

I believe the service will be around the 21st of February, but don't quote me on that. I'll also be sure to tell you guys if things get rolling about doing an adult workshop at UUCF, and I may request your help in that.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby farfalla on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:34 pm

Way to go Qwerty - other UU churhes might be interested in this
~~~~~~/\~~~~~~

The heart has its reason, of which reason knows nothing. -Pascal - thanks, Z

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."
Cpt Jack Sparrow

"I'm used to going out at 3 in the morning and doing something stupid."
Alan Moore

Silk 'n mind
farfalla
Feline Fatale

Previous

Return to The Cause