Census write-in?

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Census write-in?

Postby Pirate Bard on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Forgive me if this has already been discussed. I was just reading in the forums about people trying to write in "heavy metal" as a religion on the 2010 census and that got me to thinking. Is there a Pastafarian option as religious choice on the census? Probably not. Should we Pastafarians write one in? I think so! Who's with me???
The Pirate Bard

If a man means me no offense and I am offended, I am a fool. If a man means me offense and I am offended, I am still a fool.

"I am weary of chickens. How they look up at us with their small eyes as though we were unimportant." - Pablo Naruda
"Well they do. And we are. It's just hard to take it from a damn chicken!" - Greg Brown
Pirate Bard
Ziti Zealot

Re: Census write-in?

Postby Ham Nox on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:28 pm

P'doi... O' COURSE I BE IN!
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Cardinal Fang on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Should we go with "Pastafarian" or "Flying Spaghetti Monsterist". I'm just considering that some tired overworked census official might quickly glance at Pastafarian and just count it us as Rastas.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Ham Nox on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:41 pm

That is true... FSMist it is then!
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Pirate Bard on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:07 pm

I agree. FSMist works for me.
The Pirate Bard

If a man means me no offense and I am offended, I am a fool. If a man means me offense and I am offended, I am still a fool.

"I am weary of chickens. How they look up at us with their small eyes as though we were unimportant." - Pablo Naruda
"Well they do. And we are. It's just hard to take it from a damn chicken!" - Greg Brown
Pirate Bard
Ziti Zealot

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Typically they don't ask for your religion as a descriptor of yourself, but rather as the name of the religion to which you belong, ie. The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Sometimes people do put self-descriptors in if they're writing in if they don't belong to a religious organization, but they could just as easily write "agnosticism" or "atheism" as they could "agnostic" or "atheist". Typically they'll know what you mean if it's a well-known religious belief or lack thereof, of course.

I suggest we go with "The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster", just to make it official-looking and match it up with the way they list the religions on the form. That's what I'd do.
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Ham Nox on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:33 pm

An even better point!

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster it is then!
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Pirate Bard on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Indeed! Good point! Church of the FSM it is.
Pirate Bard
Ziti Zealot

Postby Nick the Nub on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:29 am

Hi

This is my first real post here. I was going to make a new topic but then I noticed this one and figured thread necromancy was better than multiple threads on the same topic.

I myself intend to put Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster as my religion on the UK census next year. I think that we should spread the word of this plan and try to get as many forumite's as possible on board.

The Jedi's did it so I don't see why we can't.

RAmen.
Nick the Nub
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Andrey Kurtenkov on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:54 pm

The first public activity of the Bulgarian Pastafarian Church -
http://www.novatv.bg/bg/news/view/10994 ... 1%82%D0%BE
- protest at National Statistical Institute on 16.11.2010, demanding to provide the option “Pastafarian” as a possible answer of the question about religion in the forthcoming national census in February 2011.
En mateno de hela ero, per la forĉo de espero, venas viglaj pastafaroj, vere fluganta gefratoj.
Ah, vi flugu, Nia Monstro! Vin observas milionoj serĉiantaj vermiĉeloj, per espero kaj per amo.
Kaj la bona pastafaro post la malfermita pordo, trovos la eternan vivon en pastafara paradizo!
Pastafarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!
Българска пастафарианска църква (Bulgarian Pastafarian Church)
- за прослава на Макаронения Бог :worship: :fsm_float:
Andrey Kurtenkov
Chitarra Captain

Postby Cardinal Fang on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:51 pm

Although I'm a Pastafarian, I'm afraid on the census form I'm going to tick "Other" then in the write in box simply put "None of your business".

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:07 pm

We don't have a mandatory religion question any more in Scotland, after the whole 'Jedi' thing 10 years ago...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Return to The Cause