What the hell is this crap?!

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

What the hell is this crap?!

Postby TDKs on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:18 pm

http://www.alternet.org/belief/year-jail-not-believing-god-how-kentucky-persecuting-atheists

Believe in god, or risk twelve months in prison in Kentucky?!

What is the world coming to???
Dragon tamer. For real.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Re: What the hell is this crap?!

Postby Cardinal Fang on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:45 pm

Presumably any conviction would be easy to overturn on appeal though.
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby TDKs on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:53 pm

I can only hope so.
I really do wonder sometimes.
Dragon tamer. For real.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:21 pm

It is also illegal to carry an ice-cream cone in your pocket in Kentucky.

Just sayin'... Maybe you need to judge a place and its people by what they have to pass laws against...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:49 pm

How did this even come up for a vote in the first place?

:fsm_yarr: AARRRGGGH!!!! :fsm_yarr:
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby TDKs on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:07 pm

Ice cream cone? Really? Does it matter if it has icecream in, or not?

Can you imagine the resulting lawsuits from this though? Unfair incarnation, reputational damage from criminal proceedings, possible loss of work, damages to legal record - the list is endless. The payout would be extraordinary.

Dogmatic religion, providing excuses for oppression for over nineteen centuries...
Dragon tamer. For real.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:10 pm

TDKs wrote:Ice cream cone? Really? Does it matter if it has icecream in, or not?

Can you imagine the resulting lawsuits from this though? Unfair incarnation, reputational damage from criminal proceedings, possible loss of work, damages to legal record - the list is endless. The payout would be extraordinary.

Dogmatic religion, providing excuses for oppression for over nineteen centuries...

I can't wait to see that one! I'm assuming the person suing would be a Buddhist? :fsm_rock:
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby TDKs on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:18 am

*blows raspberries*
Phone autocorrect - incarceration.
Dragon tamer. For real.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Looks like it's on its way to the Supreme Court. I can't imagine anything this foolish surviving at that level.

That article wrote:A practicing Baptist minister, Riner is solely devoted to his faith--even when that directly conflicts with his job as state representative. He has often been at the center of unconstitutional and expensive controversies throughout his 26 years in office. In the last ten years, for example, the state has spent more than $160,000 in string of losing court cases against the American Civil Liberties Union over the state’s decision to display the Ten Commandments in public buildings, legislation that Riner sponsored.

Good thing Kentucky has a budget surplus, and a policy that dedicates excess funds "primarily for the purpose of necessary governmental expenses". Because what could be more necessary than defending against lawsuits regarding the single most blatantly unconstitutional law imaginable?

How is it even possible to be that dumb? I mean I could literally, right now, go into the bottom of my sock drawer and pull out an old, mostly-worn-out sock, ask it about the constitutionality of this crap, and it would immediately and decisively slam this Riner guy with a pithy remark and aspersions about his ancestry. Good thing today's a drinking day. :drinking:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Return to The Cause