UK: Pastafarianism as a religion

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: UK: Pastafarianism as a religion

Postby TDKs on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:12 pm

I am indeed trying to get us accepted as a religion in the UK, mostly to see if it vcan be done, and for advertising, lol - I have been prodding at the charities commission paperwork every so often, but it's a real toughie (and I'm currently juggling the Samaritan's paperwork).
With regards to tax rights, yeah, we don't have a religious income at this time - however, it is drawing attention to the issue that other religions are getting benefits that other groups don't.

I sent my license off a while back - I haven't heard back yet! I suspect it's being held over and debated, either that, or they're punishing me by letting it expire, lol!
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Lord High Admiral on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:45 pm

I am not too familiar with the UK system but as far as I have understood, the state does not explicitly give religious status to any organization. Instead, the associations may claim different benefits reserved for religious associations and if the state grants the benefits claimed it indirectly acknowledges the religious nature of the association. It is also possible that receiving one religious benefit does not guarantee that the association is eligible to other benefits reserved for religious associations. This system is fairly distinct from the rest of the Europe where the state recognizes an association as religious and based on this status they are automatically eligible to same benefits.

If I was an UK resident I would try to get the charitable status from the Charities commission or from the Inland Revenue even if the Church is not expected to have any income in the near future. The reason is that getting accepted or rejected by CC is economically very significant to all religious associations. If contrary to the expectation the CC grants the charitable status, it would surely draw public attention to the current system where religions are subsidized. It might even prompt some people to think does it make any sense. If the application is denied and challenged in a court (not sure if CC rulings can be appealed to a court), it would force the government or courts to define what is actually a religion. And as we well know, unless verifiable age of the religion is not arbitrarily restricted, there is no way to define religion in a way that would exclude pastafarism but not any other religion.

Another goal could be to try to receive license to officiate at weddings. As the law states that only religious communities may be granted the license, obtaining it would again be an indirect recognition from the government.
Lord High Admiral
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Cardinal Fang on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:18 pm

TDKs wrote:I am indeed trying to get us accepted as a religion in the UK, mostly to see if it vcan be done, and for advertising, lol - I have been prodding at the charities commission paperwork every so often, but it's a real toughie (and I'm currently juggling the Samaritan's paperwork).
With regards to tax rights, yeah, we don't have a religious income at this time - however, it is drawing attention to the issue that other religions are getting benefits that other groups don't.

I sent my license off a while back - I haven't heard back yet! I suspect it's being held over and debated, either that, or they're punishing me by letting it expire, lol!

It's a good point about how some religions are more equal than others. Hadn't thought of that angle. The tax issue might be one to pick up and run with a bit more if the Scions get their way.

Have you considered taking your quest for being allowed to wear religious (colander) headwear to the papers? The Independent in the past have been known to print Pastafarian letters on it's letters page, and The Guardian are normally reasonably open minded about such things as well.

Of course the next step is to try and find some UK Pastafarians who want to get married...

CF
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby TDKs on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:15 pm

_grins_ Funny you should mention that. We've decided TLAPDay 2015.
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Cardinal Fang on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:43 pm

Congrats

CF
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:59 pm

TDKs wrote:Lord Toulson, giving the judgement, wrote that "religion should not be confined to religions which recognise a supreme deity". Toulson describes religion as "a spiritual or non-secular belief system, held by a group of adherents, which claims to explain mankind's place in the universe and relationship with the infinite ... "

“Unless there is some compelling contextual reason for holding otherwise, religion should not be confined to religions which recognise a supreme deity,” said Lord Toulson, delivering the lead judgement.
“First and foremost, to do so would be a form of religious discrimination unacceptable in today’s society.”

So, technically, Pastafarianism can be a religion. For me, it IS a religion.

Sorry I'm a bit late to this. I'm just curious, how exactly does this ruling affect Pastafarianism? Don't we recognize a supreme deity, the FSM? Or was there more to the ruling that changed things?
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby TDKs on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:47 pm

There's recognising, and then there's believing in...
TDKs
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Temp0ral on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:12 pm

TDKs wrote:There's recognising, and then there's believing in...

I believe that we recognise the FSM.
Temp0ral
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Capt'n Chestbeard on Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:41 am

Good morning and a hearty Yarrrr to you all!

As a fellow minister and UK resident, I was wondering if there had been any more progress on your drivers license/legal status etc?
Part-time dolphin Trainer, Full Time Ninja

Pastafarian Minister of Lincolnshire

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams
Capt'n Chestbeard
Ziti Zealot

Previous

Return to The Cause