Random Thoughts on random things....

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby boghog on Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:42 am

The "cannonization" process sounds fun, provided there's a big net or a large pile of soft cushions at the other end of the trip through the air.

Edit:

My preference would be to be the patron saint of amateur electronics and automotive repair, just so that when people invoke me, I could appear in a cloud of oil or solder smoke (as appropriate to the situation), peer deeply at whatever the invokee is working on, and say "pfft! I've got no clue, buddy. Have you tried whacking it with a hammer?"

:D
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby Alpaca on Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:36 am

Just make sure we don't do that barely-pre-humously thing, though, like they did with Constantine.
Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby boghog on Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:45 am

I was under the impression that he decided to do that all on his own, as was one fashion at the time.

The idea was that baptism would erase all your previous sins... BUT a person might forget to receive penance/forgiveness/etc. for a sin or two after baptism, so it was advantageous to delay baptism until the person was so far gone that they wouldn't have a chance to sin between baptism and death.
Now Hypercaffeinated! Share and Enjoy!

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

You catch more flies with BS than you do with honey.
boghog
Lord of Linguini

Postby beagle on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:51 pm

Auntie Dee Dee wrote:There are some people that need to be converted posthumously, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

THAT should be our first Pastafarian saint.

That would probably make us the only major religion that let Cobol programmers into heaven.

Only kidding.
beagle
Brewmeister

Postby beagle on Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:20 am

Didn't realize you were a computer programmer groupie Auntie. We need a great heroes of computing thread somewhere.
Ada, Countess of Lovelace would be another contender. Legend has it she worked with Babbage on trying to use the Analytical Engine to apply probability theory to horse racing. You have to admire her priorities.
beagle
Brewmeister

Postby Sir Francis Drake on Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:13 pm

OMFSM, I wonder if my dad knew her. I believe he was working on WHIRLWIND at MIT around the time they were working on UNIVAC at Harvard. He was also in the Navy around the same time she was. He worked with radios during the war.
Taste the truth, savor the satire, pass the pasta!

Dona Nobis Pasta

-Opsanus tau
Sir Francis Drake
Monkaroni

Previous

Return to The Cause