main page moderation

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

main page moderation

Postby Storm_petrel on Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:11 pm

This may not be the best place to put this, but it seemed to most logical.

Personally I think the moderation is detrimental to the site. The forums here were always around for people who liked things to be that bit more on topic, the only logical reason for it that I've heard is that is was to save bandwidth (read as cost cutting), which I really don't think is a good enough reason, more pastafarians means more merchandise sold after all.

The reasons I dislike the moderation on the main page are as follows:

1. Due to the lag between posting a comment and it showing up, there is a huge amount of repition, likeminded people are attracted to the FSM, so it stands to reason that many responses will be along the same lines.

2. Those Pastafarians that looked at things skewways don't have the patience for the time lag, which contributes to problem 1.

3. When posts showed up in real time, debate was possible, now, replies can easily be lost in the huge number of responses that get dumped in one go, contrary to comon belief, there were serious debates at times.

4. Topics veering off on a tangent and the interaction of regular posters was part of what made the main page so interesting, and the insanity was the main reason I got into the FSM in the first place.

5. Unmoderated posts are garanteed uncensored. It doesn't matter if the posts aren't censored for opinion, just spam, abuse, etc., once you start, the envelope of 'acceptable' is always down to the moderator, because of the time lag, a new poster might think they were being censored, and seeing as their post would probably be buried by the time it showed up, they'd never know what really happened, this could easily turn people away from the FSM.

Do many here share a similar view, or is a moderated main page popular? It will continue to be my opinion that the moderated forums and the unmoderated main page should have been kept s they were, let people go to whichever they preferred.
Storm_petrel
Conchigliette Convert

Postby MPTrooper on Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:59 pm

Ya know, perhaps you should have looked around a bit and gotten to know our dedicated mod and admin staff before you posted something like this here...

Just my 3 cents.
MPTrooper

Postby EarthRise on Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:04 am

MPTrooper wrote:Ya know, perhaps you should have looked around a bit and gotten to know our dedicated mod and admin staff before you posted something like this here...

Just my 3 cents.

He's talking about the main page, which is under a totally different moderation set (read: Bobby). So this isn't exactly a relevant place for posting, Storm. I'd advise emailing Bobby if you wanted moderation.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin
EarthRise
Hox God

Return to The Cause