spider smiting stick

Caution! Spoilers abound! If you have not read the book, enter at your own peril.

Moderator: All Things Mods

spider smiting stick

Postby Ermintrude on Mon May 15, 2006 6:08 pm

And spiders. I know they're not all bad, but spiders and snakeys both just ick me out

Well the spider smiting stick can be found here:-

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/search.d ... ode=SPICAT

I bought one for my partner who has a HUGE spier phobia and being disturbed I always had to do the glass and card thing (sensitive sole that I am), It didn't work and the reaction was 65cm (or 2 foot) distance was ARE YOU MAD, NO WAY. I'm now looking for a company that can supply the same device with at least a 1000ft pole and remote control that can be operated from a parallel universe (or at least the roof). (And as he's a Dr Who fan - the ideal would be a Dalek on the end that was genetically designed to exterminate anything with 8 legs).

Oh well birthday in Oct so still time.......
Ermintrude
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Griffin on Mon May 15, 2006 9:56 pm

Synchronicity - I just bought one for my son, rejected the Iwantoneofthose model in favour of http://www.initialideas.co.uk/product.php?prid=649 - my son says it has a superb action but he hasnt caught any spiders yet.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.
Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Gruppenfuhrer on Sat May 27, 2006 8:59 pm

I usually just pick up the spiders with my hands.....then occasionally i get one as big as my hand....and well, i pick them up too......i live in the woods so spiders are so common, they dont even bother my mom, she just says they are there, maybe point them out.
Gruppenfuhrer
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Seeker on Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:48 am

I found that you could just use those insect catching things they sell for lil' kids. I don't have a link that has a picture of one, but they are great for catching spiders around the house.
I'm not sure how to explain it, but if you see an insect catcher that looks cheap, big and plastic...that's probably it.
Seeker
Conchigliette Convert

Postby yodaman23 on Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:04 pm

Ooo! That would be perfect for me so i don't have to ask my roomate to get the spiders. Can you get them in America?
Let you be touched by his noodly appendage.
RAmen
yodaman23
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Sheik Yurbouti on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:34 am

We just catch 'em in a foam cup - they seem to be attracted to white for some reason - and put them out (or if it's too cold, down in the cellar, so they can eat the crickets). Out here in the country we try to accommodate our predators :wink:
Sheik Yurbouti
Ziti Zealot

Postby hobo by choice on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:40 pm

nifty little invention but i have to ask, why is it in book discusion?
oh well.
i dont see how you could hold onto the spider well eneugh with just those bristles.
again lost on me i guess...
there are 10 kinds of people in this world. those who understand binary and those who get laid...

sex is evil
evil is sin
sin is forgiven
so go ahead, stick it in!
hobo by choice
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Re: spider smiting stick

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:28 pm

I tend to find the heaviest book I can find and lauch it at the spider from across the room. I'm getting quite a good shot with a toxicology textbook!

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:35 am

A glass and an envelope do the trick for me (I have many attractive red envelopes from the credit card companies, and I am never without a glass). Put the glass over the pesky arachnid, slide the envelope under the glass, carry the whole lot outside and post it through your neighbour's letterbox. The job's a good 'un.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Cardinal Fang on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:01 pm

Unfortunately involves getting too near said spider. Ick

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Valanthe on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:07 pm

I've resorted to the glass and envelope (or other sturdy piece of paper) method myself a few times. The exception was the one spider I found living behind the dryer once. It was big enough to frighten the dog...
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:11 pm

Where do you live that the spiders chase the dogs?
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Valanthe on Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:31 pm

I'm in the mountainous region of Virginia, in a really narrow section of the Shenandoah Valley. And this spider was HUGE. :shocked: There was a toy spider available about that time called "Big Bob", so that was the name I gave it in my own mind. I don't know where it came from, and I don't know where it went, but I tried real hard not to bother it whenever I did my laundry. I didn't think they got that big up here, but I after that, I now know it's possible.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Return to Gospel of FSM Book Discussion