Hot Sauce and Chili Pepper Heads thread

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Hot Sauce and Chili Pepper Heads thread

Postby anthrobabe on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:32 pm

I love hot sauce- on just about anything:

I want some good brands I might not have heard about and some homemade stuffs too:

I like this one brand called Valentina that is really cheap on my popcorn- there is a red cap that is "hot" and an orange cap that is not- I like the orange cap on popcorn- it has a nice tangy taste with a good salt content.

I like Tapatio on veggie's.
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:38 pm

http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm

This is the good stuff.... We call it "vietnamese ketchup" (and I've even heard others call it that). Good on damned near anything and SPICY with a clean chili taste. I'm not a big fan of the over-vinegared pepper sauces like Tabasco, and most hot sauces seem to be either too mild or flavourless.

Most of the supermarkets up here carry it, but if you've got a decent Asian grocery nearby it might be cheaper there.

The same brand's chili garlic sauce is also good, but I prefer it for cooking than adding as a condiment. For straight heat use the Sambal Oelek.

Ho ho... they do a sample pack by mail order. If it's not available locally, try SP02: http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sample.htm
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby anthrobabe on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Oh yeah
I have this too- It is good.

Vinegar has it's place in some sauces- like on cooked turnip or other greens but otherwise I am like you- I like the chili taste
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."
anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby Grey on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:01 pm

Tapatio is amazing. :D *runs to check hot sauce brands*

I personally like hot Chinese mustard on my ham sammitchs, and PicoPica and green sauce (can't remember the name) on just about everything else.
The revolution has abandoned you. You're on your own now.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.
Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby anthrobabe on Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:14 pm

My mother in law(well I am divorced but she is still MINE all MINE) makes this incredible green salsa -- she starts with lots of Tomatillos and dried and fresh chilies and she boils the Tomatillos and then takes the peppers and Tomatillos and onion and garlic and other stuff and makes these VATS of salsa. it is hot but the flavor comes thru it tastes fresh and clean and is amazing.
She is from Mexico and she knows what the Hades she is doing- we do assembly line tamales in her kitchen and dining room and she takes them and sells them at football games (In Tucson) and stuff and ppl know her and line up.
I am both sad and glad she is in Tucson- I miss her every day but I forget that I am a vegetarian at her house- she makes vats of Pork Pozole(pork and hominy soup) and masses of carne asada tacos and I just dive in.
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby anthrobabe on Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:30 pm

Does anyone know where to buy "harissa" a North AfricanCasablanca region hot sauce- I don't think this is a brand I think it is "hot sauce" I've seen it lately with some couscous recipes and I'd like to find some or how to make it
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:33 pm

Looks Tunisian... google it.

Harissa is also frequently used with pasta, as Tunisia is strongly influenced by its close Italian neighbour. A third dish for which Harissa has become indispensable, is sandwiches.

I should ask a friend of mine, a Ukranian lady who lived in Tunisia for several years (as well as Mongolia and several other places). She might be able to show me how to make it.

Looks freakin' good for pasta sauce.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby anthrobabe on Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:42 pm

Thanks
I would have thought of google eventually

:twisted:
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby anthrobabe on Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:32 pm

www.pepperfool.com

lots of good stuff about peppers
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby St John the Blasphemist on Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:59 pm

The Leonard Nimoy Should Eat More Salsa Foundation
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/lnsemsf/

Been around for a few years, but I thought I'd post it since it's got some wicked recipes.

St John the Blasphemist
Saint of Creative Uses For Habaneros
:worship: :fsm:
St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby anthrobabe on Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:45 am

Thank you - I saw some avocado ideas I've got to try.

I got a really good watermelon at the grocers yesterday- very sweet- maybe the best this summer
anyway there is this seasoning called Tajin that is so good on anykind of fruit- hot and sweet with a hint of lime and that watermelon was gone in a hurry.
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa on Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:15 pm

Hot sauces aside, what's your favorite chili, for growing or eating?

There's a "Super Chili" that my parents have grown for a few years that's a nice combo of flavour and heat (i.e. hot enough for spiceheads, but won't blow your brains out if you add one or two to a dish).

The plant produces approximately 2" slightly cone-shaped (upright IIRC) chilies like crazy. It's also a hybrid, so you get some fun varieties if you replant the seeds... short plants, tall plants, skinny chilies, fat chilies, hot chilies, mild chilies.

I usually buy red or green Thai-type chilies these days, and sometimes something milder like a Seranno if I want green chilies with some bulk to them. There's generally a few Habaneros in the freezer, which I'll grab if they're on sale.
Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby anthrobabe on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:03 pm

I can grow brown stick type things, I live in a mobile home park and don't do much except try and keep the yard mowed(I had tomatoes once and someone helped themself)-- someday though I will have a big yard and garden (like when the student loans are paid off).

In Tucson my grandmom would grow these little tiny red chili's that she called firecrackers- she said she had gotten the seeds from a mexican lady along time ago. I like to see peppers grown for their amazing colors- they make good ornametal and eating plant.

One of my favorite foods is chili-relleno's , so I suppose my fav for eating is the handy Pobalno- I like them with some heat.
Habaneros are good also, but not many can take it just a smidge will dress up the salsa.
I love smoked jalapenos(I get ticked at ppl who go on and on about the "Chipolte" pepper) especially in adobo sauce
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby anthrobabe on Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:44 pm

Is it acceptable to eat Sushi as an excuse to indulge in ones Wasabi addiction? I like Sushi, I'm not very, very brave mainly I stick to California rolls or something that is steamed but my real kick is the Wasabi.
My mantra
www.gorillafund.org

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini

Postby Bringerofpie on Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:19 pm

I don't know if this place is a chain, but there's a restaurant near my called Tijuana Flats. They have a hotsauce bar with one sauce that makes my lightheaded and giddy if I have more than a little (And I can usually hold my sauce!).
"Now watch this drive."
Bringerofpie
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Next

Return to Food