Starting an FSM club in high school

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Starting an FSM club in high school

Postby DukeoFunk on Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:17 pm

Well basically my science teacher last year was really interested in the issue that the FSM sprouted from, so I thought it'd be a cool idea to start a club with him. It's already the middle of the school year so I can't make a new club until next year but it's always great to get started early, especially for his noodliness.

How do you guys think I should go about this? I DO want to bring the brilliance of pirates into the theme of the club, however there are some issues. First and foremost I do want this to be a club focused on science in general, so I wouldn't want to attract a bunch of kids signing up for the novelty of the fsm (though getting converts is certainly not a bad thing). Second, I'm not sure a beer volcano and a stripper factory would fly in high school, so could you guys regale me on any other familiar parts of the flying spaghetti monster religion that I could use as a selling point?

I guess what I want to know is how I could incorporate the flying spaghetti monster into a club that is most importantly a science club, and also change the philosophy a bit so it isn't too vulgar for us high schoolers' virgin eyes?

Thanks! If this isn't the right place to post this then I hope you guys can kindly redirect me to where it would be more appropriate. For now, I shall just bask in the glory of the flying spaghetti monster.
DukeoFunk
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Starting an FSM club in high school

Postby CMax on Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:38 pm

DukeoFunk wrote:First and foremost I do want this to be a club focused on science in general, so I wouldn't want to attract a bunch of kids signing up for the novelty of the fsm

Good call there anout the 'novelty' of FSM. That's just asking for trouble - stupid kids wanting to be part of a Club that they think is just nothing. Maybe just incorporate the other 'alternate religions' like the Invisible Pink Unicorn, Church of the SubGenius, and Eris of the Discordianism.

Maybe be a club that discusses and researches the background of alternate Religions.

DukeoFunk wrote:Second, I'm not sure a beer volcano and a stripper factory would fly in high school.

They never say what kind of stripper. Paint stripper? Wire stripper?
You'll never realize how great a cardboard box is until you are naked and it's all you have
CMax
Ziti Zealot

Postby Aeger on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:15 pm

DukeoFunk wrote:
Second, I'm not sure a beer volcano and a stripper factory would fly in high school.

Since when? That'd fly with me. I'm pretty sure that would fly with Ted here. Once second, I'll ask him....

Yes, it flies with him, too.
I am anti-"txt talk." I support good grammar. I am part of the "Save the Vowels" movement. For your sanity and mind, type out your damn words.

Thank you
Aeger
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Fooblykong on Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:57 pm

I beg to differ. At my highschool they allowed me to start a Pastaferian Club.

Err, it actually required some persuasion, and mention of the fact that they allowed a christian club.

But the principle didn't mind as long as I paid the club founding fee
woot
Fooblykong
Ziti Zealot

Postby blackeyedbutch on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:01 pm

just make sure a club requirment is the wearing of pirate regalia on fridays

PAID FOR BY THE COMMITEE TO HELP PROTECT THE HOMELESS FROM ZOMBIE INVASIONS
blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Fooblykong on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:07 pm

Actually, The Club Requirements and activities that my club set forth are as follows:

1. Pasta Dinner every 1st Friday of the Month
2. Wearing of Pirate Garb at least one Friday every year
3. A $2 membership fee to help pay for the spaghetti :D
woot
Fooblykong
Ziti Zealot

Postby blackeyedbutch on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:28 pm

no it has to be every friday

blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Fooblykong on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:29 pm

I would have done every friday, but I figured out real quick that that would be mucho expensive :cry:
woot
Fooblykong
Ziti Zealot

Postby blackeyedbutch on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:32 pm

how so an eyepatch only cost me $2.50 sash belts can easily be made from an old shirt and both are good for multiple uses, unless your refering to the spaghetti dinner in which case do then when ever you feel like it.

blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Buxter on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:51 pm

Well acording to the principle of flimsy moral standards, I can't really see it as an absolute requirement to wear the regalia every friday.

Still I think it would be a good idea. I would atract some atention, posibly leading to more converts or debates with those being provoked (what's the difference between wearing a cross and an eyepatch? :P)
Buxter
Conchigliette Convert

Postby blackeyedbutch on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:54 pm

that has nothing to do with morality it is celebration of the creation of firmatation (later turned into land with life and what not i juts felt like rhyming)

blackeyedbutch
Agnolini Admiral

Postby andrewcool on Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:46 am

Do you have any tips of getting a FSM club going?
andrewcool
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Platypus on Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:47 pm

Remeber it is forwned upon to teach FSM while not wearing pirate costume, or so i heard
Platypus
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Fooblykong on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:26 pm

generally the principals dont care, so you just need to get a fan base.
woot
Fooblykong
Ziti Zealot

Postby BumbleBee on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:03 am

I don't get it, don't public schools in the US have a 'no-uniform' poilcy?? So you guys can wear whatever you want (within reason). I'm sure they do have skirt length restrictions and material sheerness restrictions (much to most men's dismay). What's to stop you wearing a puffy shirt and loose trousers every friday with a sash and carrying a parrot (toy or real, your choice). Hats should be encouraged to wear outside to prevent skin cancer. No body can stop you talking like a pirate either, yeargh
I am a product of massive consumption- it's not my fault it's how I'm programmed to function
BumbleBee
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Next

Return to The Cause