Funny Story

Discuss ways to spread the Word and bring His Noodly Appendage to everybody.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Postby sassy/shady on Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:17 pm

I'm a "she" by the way. Anyway, I don't think they'd know about the stripper factory question. Apparently if you're a Mormon you can't drink coffee (only found this out today) or alcohol, so I'll never be welcomed with open arms anyway due to my caffeine habit and affinity for Tia Maria.

I do value our friendship but am disturbed that she was so easily swayed by Mormonism and couldn't give me a logical reason why.
User avatar
sassy/shady
Ziti Zealot
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: England

Re: Funny Story

Postby Meatball on Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:19 pm

nacho wrote:I was talking to an acquaintance of mine, and he's really REALLY Christian. So much that his Churchy friends were with him. None of them could understand his noodliness. Between one of the Churchies the conversation got semi-heated, and it ended like this:

Me: Just explain to me why Christianity is more plausible than Pastafarianism.
Churchy: Well, Christianity has been around for over 1000 years. Some d**chbag just made this religion 4 years ago.
Me: Assf*cking has been around for even longer, but I don't believe in that either.
**Churchies walk away**


Christians are the worst...

right on borther
RAmen


i plan on attending my gf's bible study... ah he h he
User avatar
Meatball
Bucatini Buccanneer
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:04 pm

Re: Funny Story

Postby MPTrooper on Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:13 pm

Player1 wrote:
nacho wrote:I was talking to an acquaintance of mine, and he's really REALLY Christian. So much that his Churchy friends were with him. None of them could understand his noodliness. Between one of the Churchies the conversation got semi-heated, and it ended like this:

Me: Just explain to me why Christianity is more plausible than Pastafarianism.
Churchy: Well, Christianity has been around for over 1000 years. Some d**chbag just made this religion 4 years ago.
Me: Assf*cking has been around for even longer, but I don't believe in that either.
**Churchies walk away**


Christians are the worst...

right on borther
RAmen


i plan on attending my gf's bible study... ah he h he


And then doing what?
MPTrooper
 

Re: Funny Story

Postby Meatball on Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:15 pm

MPTrooper wrote:
Player1 wrote:
nacho wrote:I was talking to an acquaintance of mine, and he's really REALLY Christian. So much that his Churchy friends were with him. None of them could understand his noodliness. Between one of the Churchies the conversation got semi-heated, and it ended like this:

Me: Just explain to me why Christianity is more plausible than Pastafarianism.
Churchy: Well, Christianity has been around for over 1000 years. Some d**chbag just made this religion 4 years ago.
Me: Assf*cking has been around for even longer, but I don't believe in that either.
**Churchies walk away**


Christians are the worst...

right on borther
RAmen


i plan on attending my gf's bible study... ah he h he


And then doing what?

oh, just sit in the corner like i always do...
i might throw in FSM

see her bible studies and youth groups are like dates, i dont like going but it is important to her


the he he he, was just a funny bluff
User avatar
Meatball
Bucatini Buccanneer
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:04 pm

Re: Funny Story

Postby S'presso on Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:55 pm

Meatball wrote:see her bible studies and youth groups are like dates, i dont like going but it is important to her



..
I never understood the whole bible studies and youth groups being like.. a thing to do with your friends. like, i get that people have friends within their church, but it's kinda like hanging out at your english class for fun... or maybe it's just me.. :?
Look! A new sig.
Blaaaaag.
User avatar
S'presso
Agnolini Admiral
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:01 pm

Postby Zankou on Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:57 pm

It's not just you.

Youth Group is the dumbest thing.

The youth minister at my school's parish is a f*cking psycho.

Not because she is a youth minister, but because she believe that God can influence every single aspect of her life. It's nearly sickening.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters


"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.


"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean


Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby MPTrooper on Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:28 pm

Zankou wrote:It's not just you.

Youth Group is the dumbest thing.

The youth minister at my school's parish is a f*cking psycho.

Not because she is a youth minister, but because she believe that God can influence every single aspect of her life. It's nearly sickening.



Umm...God DOES influence every single aspect of our lives or at least that is the ideal Christians should aspire too; to give over every single aspect of ourselves to God and allow Him to influence us completely. I have yet the courage to aspire to this higher calling but I pray one day I'll be able too.
MPTrooper
 

Postby Zankou on Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:35 pm

FREE WILL!

By definition, God can't influence our lives.

besides, I have no problem with Christians in general.

What i have a problem with is the radical Christians. I'm sorry, but Christians tend to have a "holier-than-thou" attitude.

A "true" Christian would accept the fact that I am not a Christian, and pray for my mortal soul.

This one tries to convert me, preach to me about how wrong i am, and rant about how "God has made her life so much better" constantly. Like i said, it's sickening.

I don't try to convert anyone to my religion, which is practically non-existent.

grrr, I hate her so much.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters


"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.


"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean


Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby MPTrooper on Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:21 pm

Zankou wrote:FREE WILL!


Which I hope to one day give over to God all that I am and allow him to take over my Life.

By definition, God can't influence our lives.


Of course He can and He does. Perhaps you don't understand what influence means?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Influence

God isn't forcing you to do anything you don't want to do

besides, I have no problem with Christians in general.

What i have a problem with is the radical Christians. I'm sorry, but Christians tend to have a "holier-than-thou" attitude.


What exactly do you consider a "holier-then-thou attitude? I consider the Catholic Faith to be superior then any other faith. I believe that there is a God and that Atheist's are sadly incorrect in their belief. Is that being "holier then thou" or is there something else to it?

A "true" Christian would accept the fact that I am not a Christian, and pray for my mortal soul.


Immortal soul. Your soul never dies.

This one tries to convert me, preach to me about how wrong i am, and rant about how "God has made her life so much better" constantly. Like i said, it's sickening.


It sounds like she is truly concerned about your immortal soul. You should be honored to have someone care so much about you. Many people in this world hunger for the Lords Truth and have no one to tell them. You should perhaps count your blessings.


I don't try to convert anyone to my religion, which is practically non-existent.


If you're an Atheist, of course you can't convert anyone. One, Atheism isn't much of a religion, two you would have nothing to offer.

grrr, I hate her so much.


I'm sorry. Perhaps one day you'll be able to look back and relaize how blessed you were to have someone of deep faith concerned about you.
MPTrooper
 

Postby Zankou on Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:31 pm

What exactly do you consider a "holier-then-thou attitude? I consider the Catholic Faith to be superior then any other faith. I believe that there is a God and that Atheist's are sadly incorrect in their belief. Is that being "holier then thou" or is there something else to it?


I said "Christians tend to have a holier-than-thou-attitude"

And they do. Most christians, when confronted with someone who is of another religion, simply tell them they are going to hell, and walk away, or stand there an argue with them over the validity of their religion.


I never reffered to you specifically, nor to Christians in general, just the ones who think because they worship Jesus, that they are better than me.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters


"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.


"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean


Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Canada

Postby MPTrooper on Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:36 pm

Zankou wrote:
What exactly do you consider a "holier-then-thou attitude? I consider the Catholic Faith to be superior then any other faith. I believe that there is a God and that Atheist's are sadly incorrect in their belief. Is that being "holier then thou" or is there something else to it?


I said "Christians tend to have a holier-than-thou-attitude"

And they do. Most christians, when confronted with someone who is of another religion, simply tell them they are going to hell, and walk away, or stand there an argue with them over the validity of their religion.


I never reffered to you specifically, nor to Christians in general, just the ones who think because they worship Jesus, that they are better than me.


See? In those cases I do agree with you. Christians who don't understand the need to be humble are often annoying.
MPTrooper
 

Postby Zankou on Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:48 pm

And what really gets me, is the fact that the basis of Christianity was the virtue of tolerance.


"Love your enemy as your neighbour", "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Christians who attack others because they are not Christians, are, by definition, not Christians!

And people who just go to church, and follow what everyone else is doing, are just mindless robots.

The average Atheist is smarter than the average Christian, because the average Christian just "believes" because that's what their mother told them to "believe", while the Atheist disregarded the mainstream belief, and re-examined his existance.

You, however, seem to be pretty srong in your convictions, and, more power to you for actually believeing.

While I myself am not an atheist, because I believe in a higher power, at some level or another, I have no true religion, simply because I can't decide what to believe.

ID and Evolution are both viable answers to lifes great questions, but there are drawbacks and gaps in both theories.

However, when the two are combined, the gaps seem to disappear.

There is even the possibilty of evolution, combined with alien intervention.

Who knows, this existance might be a dream....
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
--Adam Savage, Mythbusters


"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"
--Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.


"Take what you can!", "Give nothing back!"
--Pirates of the Caribbean


Zankou, Vice Fuhrer of The Grammar Nazis.

Click here!
Zankou
Brewmeister
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Canada

Meatball, meatball, spaghetti a la beef. Ravioli, ravioli..

Postby Ham Nox on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:49 am

MPTrooper wrote:
By definition, God can't influence our lives.


Of course He can and He does. Perhaps you don't understand what influence means?


As an omniscient, omnipotent being he'd know what we'll do before we do it. He can exert influence in the word, which by definition will affect your decision. As an omniscient, omnipotent being he'd know exactly how influence will affect our decision and therefore can use however much influence is required to completely change it. By choosing how much influence he uses, he effectively chooses our decision. Ergo, he must either not influence humankind or free will an illusion. Q.E.D.

MPTrooper wrote:
besides, I have no problem with Christians in general.

What i have a problem with is the radical Christians. I'm sorry, but Christians tend to have a "holier-than-thou" attitude.


What exactly do you consider a "holier-then-thou attitude? I consider the Catholic Faith to be superior then any other faith. I believe that there is a God and that Atheist's are sadly incorrect in their belief. Is that being "holier then thou" or is there something else to it?


All atheists are perfectly aware that everyone believes they are sadly incorrect in their belief. Contrary to popular belief, they do not need anyone to constantly remind them that other people think they are dead wrong. Condescension from those who think they are wholly right is inevitable, and that goes for strong atheists just as much as the strong faithful. However, t'would be nice if the condescension was kept to one's self and one's convictions not shoved down another's throat as by this person:

MPTrooper wrote:
This one tries to convert me, preach to me about how wrong i am, and rant about how "God has made her life so much better" constantly. Like i said, it's sickening.


It sounds like she is truly concerned about your immortal soul. You should be honored to have someone care so much about you. Many people in this world hunger for the Lords Truth and have no one to tell them. You should perhaps count your blessings.

I'm sorry. Perhaps one day you'll be able to look back and relaize how blessed you were to have someone of deep faith concerned about you.


Hunger for the Lord's Truth? I'm going to avoid the overpowering urge to start raving about the arrogance of sending out missionaries... Just remember it's only you that counts it as a blessing. I doubt you'd be too happy about Muslim missionaries coming to your town. They might accidentally convert some people while they're clearing up all the misconceptions of their faith brought about by the war in Iraq.
Concern for our soul and well being comes from the condescending assumption that we are wrong and they are right. As a pastafarian, I might be severely concerned about the quality of your life due to the severe lack of piracy and buxomy wenches. I may wish to tell you how wrong you are to live your life by ridiculously exacting double-standards, and I fear for your fate of drinking stale beer in pastafarian hell. It's another way of saying that I think your way of life is dull, immoral and I think you are wrong in pursuing it. However real the concerns might be, they begin by disregarding everything you believe as impossibly wrong.

MPTrooper wrote:
I don't try to convert anyone to my religion, which is practically non-existent.


If you're an Atheist, of course you can't convert anyone. One, Atheism isn't much of a religion, two you would have nothing to offer.


You are correct. Atheism isn't much of a religion. However, there is a lot to offer. No holy wars. A more open and trusting lifestyle. Freedom from fear of death. Being able to see the world for what it is, rather than what others want it to be.
~~~
sassy/shady wrote:Unfortunately she failed to do so, instead choosing to ignore the question, which indicated to me she wasn't taking the discussion totally seriously. I am going to her baptism soon - perhaps someone at her church will able to provide me with an answer.


That reminds me.. I am baptised Mormon, and technically still am a Mormon since I keep on forgetting to officially resign. It's kind of stupid that we have to. I am entirely against the idea of baptism at such a young age as 8. Do you have any idea how remarkably stupid I was at eight? Stupid enough to believe that I was Sailor Moon, could interpret the markings on the wall as divine messages, and that I would eventually get my Hogwarts Letter because my step-sister told me I would. I wasn't anywhere near mature enough to understand the doctrine that I was promising myself to. At that age, my complaints about the church were that it was too long and they only gave you a little thimble of water and crust of bread to get you through the sermon. I didn't even know what they taught, it all went above my comprehension at that time. I didn't even take the baptism seriously, it was just something that my grandmother wanted me to do. (Note that grandmother isn't even Mormon anymore. She just randomly decided one day that she only wanted to read the bible.) If children cannot be expected to make good personal and legal decisions in any other matters before the age of 18--and 21 in some cases-- then how can you fairly have a child sign their soul to a particular church before middle school?
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
User avatar
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Funny Story

Postby KC Observer on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:09 pm

You are correct. Atheism isn't much of a religion.


Ahem...I hate to point out the obvious, but Atheism isn't a religion at all.
The Pope
User avatar
KC Observer
Mod
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:36 pm
Location: The Vatican of the Pastifarian Church

Re: Funny Story

Postby Ham Nox on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:49 am

KC Observer wrote:
You are correct. Atheism isn't much of a religion.


Ahem...I hate to point out the obvious, but Atheism isn't a religion at all.


Which is why it isn't much of one :D
Bayes Theorum:
............................P(X|A) * P(A)
P(A|X) = -----------------------------------
...............P(X|A) * P(A) + P(X|~A) * P(~A)

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return?
Margot Fonteyn

~*L'Nox ti notve*~
User avatar
Ham Nox
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:44 pm
Location: Utah

Previous

Return to The Cause

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ljdwefdsyrolpz, pastor_parmesan and 3 guests

cron